Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Seeking Journalist

Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a journalist who would be interested in covering a story pertaining to wildlife management in Alberta. Please pm any suggestions you could provide.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 09:58 AM

It would be a short story......

There once was an awesome province named Alberta ,full of wildlife.
Then the ones in power made some dumb decisions
There was no predator management
It was easy for people to get hunting licenses to hunt in multiple provinces
Some don't need licenses.
Wildlife suffered and we are left with what we got today which is very poor compaired to what it should be.
The end

There I wrote the story for you!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:15 AM

I agree with Nube. The only Wildlife Management practiced in Alberta is "Hunter
Management" When moose or elk numbers drop just reduce the number of issued tags.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
It would be a short story......

There once was an awesome province named Alberta ,full of wildlife.
Then the ones in power made some dumb decisions
There was no predator management
It was easy for people to get hunting licenses to hunt in multiple provinces
Some don't need licenses.
Wildlife suffered and we are left with what we got today which is very poor compaired to what it should be.
The end

There I wrote the story for you!
This about sums it up!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
This about sums it up!
Another version.....

Once upon a time there was a wild and unspoiled land called Alberta full of open spaces and teeming with wildlife.
Then one day Uncle Jed shot at a gopher in his carrot patch,and up from the ground came a bubblin crude....oil that is.....black gold.....Texas tea.
Well the next thing ya know ol' Jed's a millionaire,and people came from all over Canada and the rest of the world to get in on the action.
Lots of those new Albertan Canadians were hunters,and the human population exploded,and wide open,uncrowded spaces got harder to find.
Luckily for all,Alberta is still one of,if not the best places in Canada to be for outdoorsman with rediculous amounts of hunting opportunities for several species of big game,epic flights of waterfowl,year round hunting for coyotes and varmints,and pretty lax firearms restrictions by comparison to other CDN provinces.......but there's still a buncha crusty old timers/life long Albertans with nothing better to do then bitch and moan and whine on Internet forums about new Albertans and "the good 'ol days",not grasping the fact that things could be ALOT worse nor appreciating how good they've actually got it here.
The End
Old 05-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Another version.....

Once upon a time there was a wild and unspoiled land called Alberta full of open spaces and teeming with wildlife.
Then one day Uncle Jed shot at a gopher in his carrot patch,and up from the ground came a bubblin crude....oil that is.....black gold.....Texas tea.
Well the next thing ya know ol' Jed's a millionaire,and people came from all over Canada and the rest of the world to get in on the action.
Lots of those new Albertan Canadians were hunters,and the human population exploded,and wide open,uncrowded spaces got harder to find.
Luckily for all,Alberta is still one of,if not the best places in Canada to be for outdoorsman with rediculous amounts of hunting opportunities for several species of big game,epic flights of waterfowl,year round hunting for coyotes and varmints,and pretty lax firearms restrictions by comparison to other CDN provinces.......but there's still a buncha crusty old timers/life long Albertans with nothing better to do then bitch and moan and whine on Internet forums about new Albertans and "the good 'ol days",not grasping the fact that things could be ALOT worse nor appreciating how good they've actually got it here.
The End
Excellent post!!
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Banned

good points in both those stories, i like nube's writing style better though

vote to remove the damn politics/emotional aspect of it which always seem to revolve around predators, special rights, atv access lol...as long as logic prevails then thumbs up

manage the animals equally

manage the humans pursuing them equally too please (it's the 21st century, 2018, more than two thousand and eighteen years since ole J.C. was a cowboy)

manage the zones for different types of access fairly well too (think we are pretty good there though, machines are tough on stuff so definitely can't be everywhere all the time but should have some zones for it always)

and be the model for the rest of the country to follow
Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM

I don’t know her name but there was a journalist on the forum, probably still here, arachno something
Old 05-14-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I don’t know her name but there was a journalist on the forum, probably still here, arachno something
Arachnodisiac is her name, she is a hunter as well as a reptile and spider expert, great lady .
Cat
Old 05-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Arachnodisiac is her name, she is a hunter as well as a reptile and spider expert, great lady .
Cat
Ok,but more importantly,is she a hottie?? 😍😜
Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Cat

www.sherimonk.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the help Fellas.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Thanks Cat!

The OP found me and we are messaging.

(I really need to log in here more often...)

Quote:
Cat

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 05-15-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Ok,but more importantly,is she a hottie?? ����
I think this is the Forum you are looking for...

https://tinder.com/

But to answer your question and based on her profile picture she appears to be a very attractive lady.... just like my wife!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I think this is the Forum you are looking for...

https://tinder.com/

But to answer your question and based on her profile picture she appears to be a very attractive lady.... just like my wife!
bwahahaha
Old 05-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Ya we have it ok comapaired to a few provinces. That said I dont know if waiting 10 yrs for a moose and 7 yrs for a mule deer count as endless opportunities. Thank God elk and whitetail are such good survivors.
I work in the bush every day and some areas are just empty of ungulates. Whats eating them, hmmmmmm?

Waterfoul, there is a completely underutilizated resourse however. Might be time to put down thr rifle and pick up the shot gun.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Ya we have it ok comapaired to a few provinces. That said I dont know if waiting 10 yrs for a moose and 7 yrs for a mule deer count as endless opportunities. Thank God elk and whitetail are such good survivors.
I work in the bush every day and some areas are just empty of ungulates. Whats eating them, hmmmmmm?

Waterfoul, there is a completely underutilizated resourse however. Might be time to put down thr rifle and pick up the shot gun.
100% we are predator high cycle and have been for a long long time, not just wolves, all of them, bears, cougars...be nice to see that looked at with logic alone

and having groups with special rights and essentially unlimited unregulated access to the wildlife can't be doing wildlife managers any favors let alone the wild life or the other groups of people who have to play by a completely different set of rules full of limits and regulation

not cool in the 21st century
Old 05-15-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

not cool in the 21st century
Canada, where double standard is "the standard", that's the progressive way !!!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post

Yup we do have it very good but some sure think that is o.k and they don't really see what it should be or could be so the rest of us are just cry babies in their eyes
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Nube nailed it completely. The second story from a guy obviously not Alberta born and raised is very happy for the limited opportunities and extended wait times for draws as he probably gets to hunt back home every fall.
Complete bullsh-t when your kids and nephews have to wait 5 yrs plus to hunt a moose or mule deer cause our draw system is plugged up with new albertans, their cousins, sisters, dogs and wives names in the draw cause they have a buddy with an Alberta address.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Nube nailed it completely. The second story from a guy obviously not Alberta born and raised is very happy for the limited opportunities and extended wait times for draws as he probably gets to hunt back home every fall.
Complete bullsh-t when your kids and nephews have to wait 5 yrs plus to hunt a moose or mule deer cause our draw system is plugged up with new albertans, their cousins, sisters, dogs and wives names in the draw cause they have a buddy with an Alberta address.
Yup and I remember getting tarred and feathered about ten years ago for even mentioning out of province people taking over hear and our hunting would be going down hill! It was quite funny the beating I took over the comments I made. Look what has happened today! And if you think it is bad now give it another 10 to 15 years. Take what you can now boys and girls, the good old days are right now lol
Old 05-22-2018, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=West O'5;3785353]Another version.....

The End[/QUOTE

If hunters and people were causing the demise of moose and elk, why are there few elk or moose in the Blackstone and Willmore and plenty of elk and moose on the prairies? Predators are 100% of the problem with declining moose, elk and caribou populations in the mountains and foothills.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-22-2018, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=NCC;3788787]
Quote:
Another version.....

The End[/QUOTE

If hunters and people were causing the demise of moose and elk, why are there few elk or moose in the Blackstone and Willmore and plenty of elk and moose on the prairies? Predators are 100% of the problem with declining moose, elk and caribou populations in the mountains and foothills.
..predators may be a large part of the problem in the mountains and foothills but I doubt they are the ones that are peeing off a lot of the landowners. Sure, we have it good here but if the past decade or two is a crystal ball glimpse of the next one or two, what are you seeing ? .. without the rosy glasses.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:24 PM

If the rosy glasses comment was for me, you'll have to explain, as I have no idea of what you're trying to get at.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If the rosy glasses comment was for me, you'll have to explain, as I have no idea of what you're trying to get at.
Definitely not for you NCC. Sorry . It was directed at West 05 and other like minded folks that don't feel our outdoor and fishing/ hunting opportunities are definitely heading for the tank ..fast. In fact, bordering on a nightmare for those who have watched the accelerating decline over a few decades. Problem is, many haven't been around long enough to evaluate the difference. If coming here from another geographic area that offers far fewer opportunities, sure, Alberta looks like a hunters Mecca. Not many public places left where you can fill several tags every year.