Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Keep in mind a deleted diesel pollutes at a rate 90 times a dpf and scr and def equipped motor . Quote from ford!
Makes you wonder. Vehicles with deleted dpf, scr and def gets more power, better fuel economy, meaning they burn less fuel. Yet are cited for a pollution rate 90 times greater than a dpf, scr and def equipped motor.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 PM

I not sure your point. Both facts are 100 % true. Please explain
Old 05-22-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I not sure your point. Both facts are 100 % true. Please explain
If you're burning less fuel, then the engine must be running efficiently, therefore less NO₂. I think that 90% assertion has no credibility.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
If you're burning less fuel, then the engine must be running efficiently, therefore less NO₂. I think that 90% assertion has no credibility.
the inverse is true. No2 is increased as cylinder temp increases . The egr sends exhaust up to 40 percent of total intake to decrease temp . Fuel efficiency increases with temp (to a point).

As far as dpf ? Take note of visible smoke before and after it is quite noticeable. My 07 duramax (not dpf equipped ) emits way more visible smoke than a friends 09 (dpf equipped). Similar hp

The exact quote from ford "95 6.7 emit the same pollution as one 7.3"
Old 05-23-2018, 12:01 AM

An interesting video on utube is on channel Dan Watson called understanding diesel dpf regeneration. One quote is very note worthy "a 2012 duramax emits cleaner air than it injests in most large cities"
Old 05-23-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
the inverse is true. No2 is increased as cylinder temp increases . The egr sends exhaust up to 40 percent of total intake to decrease temp . Fuel efficiency increases with temp (to a point).

As far as dpf ? Take note of visible smoke before and after it is quite noticeable. My 07 duramax (not dpf equipped ) emits way more visible smoke than a friends 09 (dpf equipped). Similar hp
Exhaust circulated back into the intake would cause a incomplete burn.
They install intercoolers to cool the air to make it denser so a more complete burn takes place. Adding heated exhaust gas will cause less dense air meaning a slower and less complete burn.
There are charts out there that show the effect of air temperature on combustion.

Visible smoke or the lack of it gives a false sense of safety and protection.

Ever inhale the fumes from a def equipped truck. It is down right noxious.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
Maybe you could do it for the OP at a reasonable price as you are not that far away
Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that, but would have to fit my schedule, I don't get home much lately, working in fort Nelson since beginning of Feb.
Got home for a couple week in April, and m8ght be going home this weekend.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Exhaust circulated back into the intake would cause a incomplete burn.
They install intercoolers to cool the air to make it denser so a more complete burn takes place. Adding heated exhaust gas will cause less dense air meaning a slower and less complete burn.
There are charts out there that show the effect of air temperature on combustion.

Visible smoke or the lack of it gives a false sense of safety and protection.

Ever inhale the fumes from a def equipped truck. It is down right noxious.
EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Where do you think it is recurculating to?

Intercooolers drop the In take air temp so as to get more air or denser air into engine to make more power . Does not drop combustion temp!

You may not like the smell of def equipped exhaust but proven fact less pollution !!

It not a false sense . Visible smoke is unburned diesel!

Last edited by expedition; 05-23-2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Damn spell check
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that, but would have to fit my schedule, I don't get home much lately, working in fort Nelson since beginning of Feb.
Got home for a couple week in April, and m8ght be going home this weekend.
Wow, I certainly appreciate this guy's.
I need the truck sooner than later
I have appointments lined up but you guys rock.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Intercooolers drop the In take air temp so as to get more air or denser air into engine to make more power . Does not drop combustion temp!

You may not like the smell of def equipped exhaust but proven fact less pollution !!

Intercooler does not get the recirculated air remotely close to the ambient air temp. The idea of EGR is right up there with running injectors off high pressure oil. Asinine!

Ever stand by an exhaust system while in "regen" mode?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Intercooler does not get the recirculated air remotely close to the ambient air temp. The idea of EGR is right up there with running injectors off high pressure oil. Asinine!

Ever stand by an exhaust system while in "regen" mode?
recirculated exhaust gas does not go through intercooler. I agree does not come close to ambient air temp . No one here said that!

No I have not stood by a vehicle in regen ! Please do explain! Thanks

An egr has its down sides for sure. The biggest I think is the fact oil life is dramatically reduced. I think it is reasonable to think dropping combustion temp increases soot production. A little ironic.

Cheers

Last edited by expedition; 05-23-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:
recirculated exhaust gas does not go through intercooler. I agree does not come close to ambient air temp . No one here said that!

No I have not stood by a vehicle in regen ! Please do explain! Thanks

An egr has its down sides for sure. The biggest I think is the fact oil life is dramatically reduced. I think it is reasonable to think dropping combustion temp increases soot production. A little ironic.

Cheers
Which was it? Does or does not decrease combustion temp?
And as combustion temp decreases, soot is increased. DPF catches soot. Fuel is injected into filter to burn off soot at high temps. That gets pretty nasty if you happen to be standing close to that. Quite a colorful stink.
And adding hot recirculated exhaust to intercooled air raises temperature of intake air, resulting in loss of power.
Anybody that has had to work with equipped vehicles, whether pickup size or larger, would agree that DPF and EGR are one big headache and can be a very large expense.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Which was it? Does or does not decrease combustion temp?
And as combustion temp decreases, soot is increased. DPF catches soot. Fuel is injected into filter to burn off soot at high temps. That gets pretty nasty if you happen to be standing close to that. Quite a colorful stink.
And adding hot recirculated exhaust to intercooled air raises temperature of intake air, resulting in loss of power.
Anybody that has had to work with equipped vehicles, whether pickup size or larger, would agree that DPF and EGR are one big headache and can be a very large expense.
Quote "which was it"

Don't understand

The intercooler drops the temperature of the intake charge after turbo . The EGR valve introduces exhaust gas after intercooler to decrease combustion temp. Which in turn drops the production of NOx and probably increases soot production. The DPF then catches 99 % of soot larger than 1 micron and holds it in until regen . The NOx that is produced is mixed with urea and enters the SCR where it is largely eliminated.

I agree a truck equipped with EGR DPF SCR an EGR is overly complicated and unreliable at best . loving my 07 duramax equipped with only EGR!

Cheers
Old 05-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Pretty reasonable explanation of the EGR system;

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/engine_egr_sys.php
Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
I'm from GP. On my way to Hinton my truck went into limp mode and had to be towed aND is now stuck in Hinton. I want to get rid of that dpf but was wondering if there were any cons to doing this?
Does anybody do the deletes in Hinton?
If your in GP look at Supreme diesel in Sexsmith, they did my truck for me. They did a great job very knowledgeable and good price.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
If your in GP look at Supreme diesel in Sexsmith, they did my truck for me. They did a great job very knowledgeable and good price.
Thanks, that is exactly who I am taking it to.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I have a bigger problem with EGR than I do with DPF , in principle. I hate the idea of the intake getting clogged up with soot over time.

Is it ****ible to use a tuner to disable EGR in a 2013 duramax?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Yes you can delete the DPF and not the EGR, you have to have a tuner that will do it thought. you can also unplug the EGR and not remove it. if you are going to go with removing the DPf then you might as well as do the EGR at the same time.

you can also just have a tuner on your truck and keep the EGR and the DPF on the truck. this will give you a little extra power and claimed MPG.