Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Default Willmore Avalanche Death

Hi, Does anyone know about the avalanche death that occurred in Willmore on February 13,2020? There is a brief report of the incident on the avalanche canada website but I did not see or hear anything about it on the news? The report says a snowmobiled was killed on starlight mountain? Trapper?

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:07 PM

https://www.avalanche.ca/map?panel=f...lmore-20200213
Old 02-22-2020, 08:09 PM

http://www.snowandmud.com/avalanche-...avalanche.html
Old 02-23-2020, 05:05 PM

Having a trap line back there doesn’t give you the right to bring you buddies back there and do hill climbs.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Having a trap line back there doesn’t give you the right to bring you buddies back there and do hill climbs.
Hold up there guys, Mr. Straight and Narrow, that has always abided by every rule and never done anything slightly out of bounds for a little excitement is going to speak. Mistakes happen, guy was out on an adventure with his kid. Consequences were horrendous, pass on condolences if you feel like it but nobody needs a lecture or silly comments. Move along
Old 02-23-2020, 06:27 PM

Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Excerpt from the snowandmud post by the nephew of the deceased:
Quote:
The crazy thing was he was up there for a memorial ride. It was 3 years to the day that he was up there trapping with his best friend (it’s a registered trap line and that’s the only way you are allowed to ride there) and his friend had a heartache and died in his arms. And my cousin led the search and rescue in to help with that situation. So they went in there to pay there respect and set a wolverine trap. They had just stopped at the spot and paid there respect and continued on to set a trap. They came to this area and Dean stopped and said they need to turn around as he didn’t like the snow.
Is there more to this story than what has been covered?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2020, 11:26 AM

Artie - thanks for the information

Cheers
Old 02-25-2020, 01:41 PM

I was also wondering at the lack of media coverage.

I do know that he operated a registered trapline in the south portion of Willmore, abutting Jasper Park. I can confirm that he was up there to commemorate the death of his friend, who had died from a heart attack a couple years previous.

I do not know the fella who was killed in the avalanche, but I do know the surviving part owner of the trapline. Salt of the earth fella, and very hard working to boot.

Condolences to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk