Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Question Ever heard of a C-I-L model 950c rifle???

I have a C-I-L model 950c rifle, 270cal. The manufacturer was canadian industries limited in montreal canada. Does anyone know any info on the gun. I got it from a friend, it has a 4 shot clip. Seems to be a very accurate gun.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Try the 'Guns and Ammo' forum page; http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forum...daysprune=&f=6
Someone should be able to help you out there.

Good Hunting

TF
Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM

I have an old CIL 20 gauge. Not very common I don't think.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Default C-I-L rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
I have a C-I-L model 950c rifle, 270cal. The manufacturer was canadian industries limited in montreal canada. Does anyone know any info on the gun. I got it from a friend, it has a 4 shot clip. Seems to be a very accurate gun.
I also have a C.I.L. model 950c rifle, 30-06 cal. I bought it new at a gunshop back in 1971.
It is a very good rifle.

Now I'm trying to find a scope that will fit on it. I'm trying to find the actual manufacturer. The engraving on my rifle shows 'Made in USA'
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM

I owned a couple 950's and they are a fine rifle

Value is comparable to a Parker Hale or Alpine

Are you finding the bolt touches your scope when you lift it?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Pretty sure the rifles were built by Savage years ago....nothing wrong with them ...SIL has one in 7mm Bolt....CIL imported lots of shotguns made by different manufacturers and had their stamp on them, but I believe they only imported Savage made rifles....could be wrong...
Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Thre 950 C was a 110 Savage atoon woth the detachable mag. They also marketed the 950 in an economy model with blind mortise and one with a floor plate that was not removable.
The C stocks were made by Sile IIRC.
C.I.L. also contracted Anschutz, Parker Hale, CBC, Boito Zabala, Franchi, aand a few other companies.
Cat
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Thre 950 C was a 110 Savage atoon woth the detachable mag. They also marketed the 950 in an economy model with blind mortise and one with a floor plate that was not removable.
The C stocks were made by Sile IIRC.
C.I.L. also contracted Anschutz, Parker Hale, CBC, Boito Zabala, Franchi, aand a few other companies.
Cat
Cat, correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm sure you will) but wasn't CIL - which was primarily a chemical company - a major ammunition and explosives manufacturer during the War? (That would be WW II for you younger fellows.)
The guns, which you say were re-branded CIL from other jobbers, were likely an attempt to spin off the military production.
The same way Grumman went from Hellcats to bass boats after V-J Day.
My all time favorite shot shells, Canucks and Imperials were CIL if I'm not mistaken.
Weren't those purple paper hulls something else?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
Cat, correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm sure you will) but wasn't CIL - which was primarily a chemical company - a major ammunition and explosives manufacturer during the War? (That would be WW II for you younger fellows.)
The guns, which you say were re-branded CIL from other jobbers, were likely an attempt to spin off the military production.
My all time favorite shot shells, Canucks and Imperials were CIL if I'm not mistaken.
not to hi-jack but yup, about the shotshells, the other brand they marketed for awhile was "Maxum"...kind of between the low brass canucks and the high brass Imperials, they were a chemical company that started producing powder during WW2 if I recall correctly...
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Banned

"Imperial" was the French chemical company that owned CIL.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
There were many facets pof C.I.l. , yes, canda safety fuse being one, Dominion explosives, etc.
The guns i am talking about were OEM from contractors in the 60's and 70's.

I have log books from the 50's that belonged to my father when he was doing R&D for the Amunition devision in the 50's, and he used model 70's then, but they were not stamped C.I.L. at the time, nor was his martini INTL that he used for many years.
It was not until '63 or '64 that I saw C.I.l. guns in the rack at home, and at that time he was sales Promotion Develpoment Manager.

yes, the high brass Imperials were great cartridges, best in the world- I know, my dad told me when i asked him which was the best!!

Cat
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
"Imperial" was the French chemical company that owned CIL.
I have heard a lot of talk about a French company and a rumour that they were in fact english as well, but I'm not sure if they had shares in C.I.L. or not, the ammo for sure was made in Brownsburg Quebec however.
I have a salesmen's wallet ( actiually I think lean mean Huning machine now has it!) that is marked Dominion cartridge company, an IIRC there is an Imoewrial ad a duco shotshell in there as well as a 30/30 and an '06.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Default C i l

I have a C I L 22 ,an old C I L 12 guage single and still have some shot gun shells....
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM

Default C.I.L. model 950C

I have it from official reference this gun branded CIL Model 950C and was manufactured by Savage in the USA and is identical to a Savage 110 C.

Savage made it in the following calibers for CIL:

243 WIN 270 WIN 30-06 SPRG 308 WIN 6MM NORMA BR and 7MM REM MAG
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Default C.i.l.

The French company was IVI (Industrie Valcartier I??)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiojal107 View Post
I have it from official reference this gun branded CIL Model 950C and was manufactured by Savage in the USA and is identical to a Savage 110 C.

243 WIN 270 WIN 30-06 SPRG 308 WIN 6MM NORMA BR and 7MM REM MAG
The stocks were a bit different on the savage than the C.I.L. rifles , but other than that they were 110 actions, yes....
Cat
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Default 950

Wanna sell it?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiojal107 View Post

6MM NORMA BR
I thought the 6mm Norma BR was a recent development. There was the 6mm Remington from that time period, there was a 6BR from a little later. The 6mm Norma Br was just the 6mm BR but with an 8" twist and a longer throat, and it came out in the last decade.

Can somebody clear this up?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I thought the 6mm Norma BR was a recent development. There was the 6mm Remington from that time period, there was a 6BR from a little later. The 6mm Norma Br was just the 6mm BR but with an 8" twist and a longer throat, and it came out in the last decade.

Can somebody clear this up?
the 950C was never made in 6mmBR in a factory configuration.
it may have been re0barreld and some point or re-bored, or re-chambered.
The 950C was gone long before the 6MMBR was a factory offering and it may hvae been gone before it was wildcatted for that matter.
Cat
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM

Was surprised to see CIL is still apparently in the paint business.

http://www.cil.ca/

Grizz
Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Just refinished one a few months ago, it's a Savage 110

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Great guns. I have a C.I.L. 950c in .308 cal. I like the push button magazine release. And yes they were made by Savage almost identical to the 110C. Read somewhere years ago where very few supposedly where made and shipped to Canada. Wish I could remember where I read that. Could have been just a rumor.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Great guns. I have a C.I.L. 950c in .308 cal. I like the push button magazine release. And yes they were made by Savage almost identical to the 110C. Read somewhere years ago where very few supposedly where made and shipped to Canada. Wish I could remember where I read that. Could have been just a rumor.
Actually there were quite a few shipped to Canada - that is where they were being sold!
The 950T however is a bit of a rarer bird and used Shultz and Larsen and Anschutz barrels
Cat
Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 PM

Default The Man That Loved Cat Dancing

I have a CIL 7mm Rem Mag
Made in Montreal Canada
most of my Uncles worked
CIL Factory in Brownsburg PQ
Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoan View Post
I have a CIL 7mm Rem Mag
Made in Montreal Canada
most of my Uncles worked
Your rifle wasn’t Made there however, that is where the head office was .
It is mostly likely a Savage 110, and would have been made at the Savage plant
Cat
Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM

CIL was never a French company. CIL sold its ammunition business to IVI, a Quebec company.
The Chemical part if the business was owned , at least in part , by ICI - Imperial Chemical Industries, a British firm which sold to AkzoNobel in relatively recent times.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have heard a lot of talk about a French company and a rumour that they were in fact english as well, but I'm not sure if they had shares in C.I.L. or not, the ammo for sure was made in Brownsburg Quebec however.
I have a salesmen's wallet ( actiually I think lean mean Huning machine now has it!) that is marked Dominion cartridge company, an IIRC there is an Imoewrial ad a duco shotshell in there as well as a 30/30 and an '06.

Cat
Wasn't it Valcartier Industries ( IVI ), that took over CIL ?
They also made tracked All Terrain Vehicles (Passpartout) about the same time as I recall
Old 02-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoan View Post
I have a CIL 7mm Rem Mag
Made in Montreal Canada
most of my Uncles worked
WOW! Talk about reviving a Necro thread. lol
Yup ,good rifles, had one in .270 Win.,buddy owns it now.One of the nicest adjustable factory triggers I've seen.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Wasn't it Valcartier Industries ( IVI ), that took over CIL ?
They also made tracked All Terrain Vehicles (Passpartout) about the same time as I recall
Yes, and eventually their civilian Ammo got really lousy (QA/QC issues I think) because they were concentrating on the lucrative government contracts and eventually closed down the civilian end .
With the sales to IVI , the Dominion Marksman program also sadly came to an end
Cat

Tags
need help, question, rifle