Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2020, 03:40 PM

Default Disabled hunters

What does this entitle you to do?
Does it just mean shoot from a road?
What about not normal lease land but community pastures or places like the Pinhorn, or natural areas that I guess are parks and are piping up all over where they have transportation device and even restrictions on horses.
I've tried searching this on the web with no luck.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:56 PM
Shooting Xs

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/lic...abilities.aspx
Old 01-28-2020, 04:14 PM

Thanks
See the way I read that is a disabled person could hunt from a quad or truck from a road in the forestry or on public land if they have permission. Tons of people seem to be doing that anyway without the permit.
I'm wondering if the permit would help people access the gazillions of acres of public land that the government employees have all tied up in restrictions that basically make them off limits?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:45 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Thanks
See the way I read that is a disabled person could hunt from a quad or truck from a road in the forestry or on public land if they have permission. Tons of people seem to be doing that anyway without the permit.
I'm wondering if the permit would help people access the gazillions of acres of public land that the government employees have all tied up in restrictions that basically make them off limits?
Um,I think you need to re-read the info in the link,it's fairly clear on who is allowed to discharge a firearm from a truck and under what circumstances it's allowed.Shooting from the road?Maybe read the Regs concerning that.
No special access,the same access rules for able bodied, disabled or mobility challenged hunters as far as I know.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Um,I think you need to re-read the info in the link,it's fairly clear on who is allowed to discharge a firearm from a truck and under what circumstances it's allowed.Shooting from the road?Maybe read the Regs concerning that.
No special access,the same access rules for able bodied, disabled or mobility challenged hunters as far as I know.
Exactly. Just because someone has a weapons discharge permit, doesn’t mean they an bypass the lease restrictions such as walk in only.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 AM

I understand that its illegal.I'm just saying that tons do it anyway.
I don't see where they are really doing anything much for disabled hunters. Thought maybe I was missing something.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I don't see where they are really doing anything much for disabled hunters. Thought maybe I was missing something.
Just because people do it anyway, does not make it right. You have a couple choices.
Join the do it anyway group and take your chances, or do some research. Reach out to land owners who may have land access more condusive to a disabled hunters mobility issues.
Find some grazing provincial grazing leases, talk to the operators. Drive some back roads and look for spots that have access, cut lines, power lines. That sort of thing. Just mare sure you are legally allowed to be there.
There are a few options for hunters with disabilities if they’re willing to put in the time and effort. Good luck,

Tullfan
Old 01-29-2020, 08:18 AM

You guys are taking me all the wrong way. This post is about the huge grazing reserves in the SE were there are no roads or even places to park. So many restrictions that nobody can really access most of it. Your not even allowed to use a bicycle down there.
I don't want to hunt from a road or shoot from a quad.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Just because people do it anyway, does not make it right. You have a couple choices.
Join the do it anyway group and take your chances, or do some research. Reach out to land owners who may have land access more condusive to a disabled hunters mobility issues.
Find some grazing provincial grazing leases, talk to the operators. Drive some back roads and look for spots that have access, cut lines, power lines. That sort of thing. Just mare sure you are legally allowed to be there.
There are a few options for hunters with disabilities if they’re willing to put in the time and effort. Good luck,

Tullfan
This...pretty straight forward...do your research and reach out to those operators etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM

Exclamation That's a touchy subject around these parts

Quote:
You guys are taking me all the wrong way. This post is about the huge grazing reserves in the SE were there are no roads or even places to park. So many restrictions that nobody can really access most of it. Your not even allowed to use a bicycle down there.
So, this is really about the government owned, taxpayer subsidized, privately operated hunting preserves in SE Alberta?
You are just noticing this now?
You won't get much traction on this subject around here, or with our current MLA's. The entitlement and corruption runs too deep.
Do yourself a favour and find other land to hunt.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-29-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
You started a post about disability permits and then changed it to complaining about lease access. There’s plenty of lease access threads on AO already. Not sure what it has to do with disabled hunters.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
I won't disagree with that statement,only a person that is wheel chair bound 100% can get a permit to discharge a firearm from a vehicle legally.All other Regulations apply though,no road shooting ,etc.
A person with a single below knee amputation can walk through/on certain terrain with a walking stick as an aid.Above knee amputations increase the difficulty factor and a combination of the two makes it very difficult to go any distance in most terrain.An above knee amp uses 3 times the energy for movement compared to a non amp person.
You can move out of a vehicle a short distance to a stationary spot if a person is some what ambulatory.Another factor of course,is what a persons over all general condition is.
Either way,retrieving game can be difficult,so there are specific issues to be dealt with ,for sure.Extremely difficult for a mobility impaired hunter on his/her own to get this done,friends/buddies are pretty much a must.
Every Province deals with Disabled/mobility impaired hunter Regs./restrictions differently,Alberta doesn't offer the most options in this regard.IMHO

Last edited by DLab; 01-29-2020 at 09:58 AM.