Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 AM

Default Lund 14' SSV?

Hey all,
I am looking at getting a Lund 14' SSV with the side steering console.
The package without the motor would cost about $5200 (qouted by lund). I would then add a tohatsu 20hp.
Has anyone done something like this?
Does anyone have the 14' with the side steering console?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Banned

Check the hull rating and purchase the maximum allowable engine. You will never be happy with a motor that is too small, so spend the money now.

Otherwise you are buying the best hull going, IMHO.

Free
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Agreed ...

I have a Legend 15 Angler which is very similar. I have a 40hp on
the back and wouldnt get anything smaller. slow enough for trolling
but will take you up to 30mph with a single person.

spend the money on the bigger motor if you can pull it off.

see you on the water....
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 AM

You may want to reconsider this setup. A 14' boat with a steering console will leave you wishing there was more room inside the boat after about the 2nd or 3rd time out. If you have somebody else in the boat, it will get tight for room when trying to move around tackle boxes, fishfinders and each other when landing a fish. At 14' you may want to go with the tiller motor, just for the extra room it will free up in the boat.

I think the console and steering wheel may be just that. No controls or steering and throttle cables. After you add all that in, it would be cheaper to go to a 16' tiller on a trailer for around the $5100 mark vs. $6-6500 for a 14' with steering.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 AM

I should have added that your ssv model choice is a good one. Excellent boat.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Default Best boat

Dodger on here has the best fishing boat ....14ft Alumacraft fisherman

25 merc elec.start....goes 25 mph...we put that thing in everywhere..I think tiller on a 14 '. Better

For fishing and trolling .....I had that Lund with a 50 merc on it

Before heavy 4stks .....that was a fishing machine. Is that ssv

The model with the floor.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM

hey trap i am converting my 16 foot alumacraft single console to a tiller and upgrading the motor.

get a hold of me through pm if you want to chat about buying my whole console set up and 40hp 4 stroke merc.

i took the merc. off last night and should have my new motor on tonight. the console should be out of the boat by tomorrow night at the latest.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

I agree a 14ft with steering console will eat up all you room. The more space you can get for the money the better. I would go tiller in a 12-16ft boat, I'm not sold on console steering in general, it's either tiller or full windshield for me. At least with the full windshield you have the option of a storm top when the weather gets ugly. As far as a 20hp on a 14ft boat, I think that's a bit light. I had a 25hp on my lund wc-dlx and I would definatly not want to go any smaller. I know it's just a fishing boat, but it's a 14' fishing boat and when a thunder storm is rolling in, your gonna want a bit of speed getting to the dock.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
You may want to reconsider this setup. A 14' boat with a steering console will leave you wishing there was more room inside the boat after about the 2nd or 3rd time out. If you have somebody else in the boat, it will get tight for room when trying to move around tackle boxes, fishfinders and each other when landing a fish. At 14' you may want to go with the tiller motor, just for the extra room it will free up in the boat.

I think the console and steering wheel may be just that. No controls or steering and throttle cables. After you add all that in, it would be cheaper to go to a 16' tiller on a trailer for around the $5100 mark vs. $6-6500 for a 14' with steering.
Agree.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I was in a 2013 lund 1400 with the steering console this weekend at Cold Lake. It was powered by a Merc 25HP. It was kind of tight for 2 guys and all the tackle. I feel I would have been better off in my boat.

OP,

I have a similar set up. I have a 14" Naiden extra wide aluminum boat. This is comperable to the 14" SSV Lund. It is powered by a 2013 20HP Tohatsu. I've put over 20 hrs on this new motor now.

As others have suggested, go for the larger motor if you can afford it and the transom can support it. I used to run a 9.9 Hp on there and is was slow as molassis. With the Tohatsu I can keep a top speed of 39 KPH easy with 2 guys and gear in the boat.

If I was lookng for a steeing console boat I would go for a min of 16 feet.

Just my advice.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

This with the bigger outboard.

Great advice.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadaca View Post
got a fury 1400 for sale with 25 hp merc 4 stroke
There is a buy and sell section in this Forum but you need to be a member with more than x posts.

You are not permitted to advertise your boat on threads and solicit sales in threads - so the mods will likely remove this post - FYI
Old 08-10-2017, 03:30 PM

I got a 20 tohatsu on a wc 14 which is almost the size as the ssv just a different bottom. It rips along nice. I would not want a 25 on it as it would be to heavy in the rear for one guy and would need a bucket of rocks up front to make it useable. The 14 Wc delux with the floors and compartments add enough weight throughout the boat a 25 is doable and they sit level. Yamaha just came out with a fuel injected 25 that is only 10 lbs heavier than the average 20hp. The rest of the 25hp out there are actually 30hp and detuned down to 25 so they have a big block and are quite a bit heavier. The new Yamaha is a dedicated 25hp motor so smaller displacement and lighter than all the other 25's