Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Not hatin stinky,, not at all.. But even you have to admit that it was more of a target for you,, I mean you never even mentioned in your post that it was a hunt but the most important part was the distance you even made a point to put it on a peice of cardboard to ensure that the distance was the main point of the post not the animal in fact the animal is secondary in the picture.. So I made the comment that it was a good shot which it is by all means a good shot.. We all know that you take pride in your shooting and that you are very proficent at it you often tell us of your exploits. And we know you practice at many a target only differance here is that you used a deer as a target I personelly got no problem with that. But lets not make the waters murky that was the main jest of the post. And I know that it will not go to waste we have all read your posts and know thats not the case.. So hence my comment good shooting and enjoy your target.. Nothing sinister about it just calling it what it is...
Well then....thanks! The target will be enjoyed by a family who can really use it. I did a lot talking the talk this fall.....was just hoping to walk the walk and the opportunity showed up.....so i walked the walk. I simply wanted to take fellow ABO folks through my little journey into long range hunting. I'm not even close to pro, don't even reload yet....i'm simply getting my feet wet into it and sharing it. So if people want to try it out then maybe my posts will help them get started? There are lots of guys out there you never see on the forum who can and are doing it to way longer ranges...or they are ON this forum but you'll never hear them blab about what they're doing as they could care less what other people think....i too could care less but the reason i blab is more to motivate or educate what i'm learning as i experiment...so others can draw from it. Best of the West was the first to take long range hunting mainstream imo....its just filtering down all over the place now. I'm just one who's getting his feet wet into it....and sharing it.

I have more time to prepare for hunting than to go hunting now....so i try to be efficient about it....if that means i can learn to shoot well to longer ranges then so be it.

But since it appears a debate about hunting or shooting is looming why not....here goes.

It takes a lot more work to be prepared for a 500 yrd shot than to actually stalk a whitetail doe to 100 yrds. Does that make me any less of a hunter? A guy who thinks about it 24/7, preps like a mofugger all year long and then applies his preparation? Vs the guy who shoots his gun just before the season just to see if zero is still close and finds close enough deer and shoots them but hardly eats/sleeps/breathes hunting the rest of the year? Tell me....who's more of a hunter? Food for thought maybe?

Its like argueing bow hunters vs gun hunters. Lots of bow hunters think gun hunters are not hunters.....cuz its too easy to get them with a gun...you don't have to 'hunt' them but rather just 'shoot' them. Now that guys are taking firearms to new levels for hunting applications the same arugment needs to happen? Its not hunting anymore? Bull. Go try it, you'll see what it takes to shoot well long distance....i tried to be as helpful about it as possible for those who might be interested in becoming more prepared.

Peace love my brothers from other mothers.