Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Default 260 Rem and 130 VLD's

After using my 7RM and 168 VLD's on deer this season, I'm considering trying the 260 with 130 VLD's next year. Anyone try this combo yet? After 25 yrs of hunting with one, I'm too old, too tired and too fragile to hunt deer with the big 7 anymore. I want something light in weight and light in recoil.

Bobby B.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 PM

I run them out of my 260AI and it didn't take much tweaking to get them to shoot well. Unfortunately no reports on game yet. Hopefully soon when I head out for my mulie draw.

As far as recoil goes compared to the 7mm mag it is nothing to worry about. Out of the AI version I can push them to the 3000fps mark no problems which translates into a very flat shooting round. The only reason I went with the AI is to extend brass life, I would be perfectly happy with the speeds attainable out of the standard version.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 AM

Cappy,

Sounds like what you have is what I want. What's the details on your barrel; length, contour, manufacturer, gunsmith, twist?

Bobby B.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Bobby,

My 260AI was built my Rick at Alberta Tactical. It is based on a Remington LTR that has been trued. The barrel is a Mike Rock 24" pipe with a 1-8" twist. Don't know the actual contour number, but is consistant with the stock LTR barrel.

I'm used to carrying heavy rifles around and my background is in precision rifles. So although it isn't the lightest rifle out there, by keeping the HS precision LTR stock it is still managable to carry around all day, yet heavy enough to steady up for long shots. I could very easily shoot it in the open tactical rifle class of shooting. Currently it has a S&B PMII 3-12 on it which is a pretty heavy scope and yet it probably still comes in around 10lbs.

So far the Rock barrel has been all they say, fouls very little and I'm getting great speeds out of the short tube with no real pressure signs yet.

If I was building a true mountain rifle this would obviously not be my first choice in set ups, but the .260 class of cartridges is definately the route that I would go.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 AM

Wouldn't the Ai version sacrifice barrel life instead of brass life ????
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM

In theory the higher case capacity and the more overbored nature of the AI should, if all things were equal cause faster barrel wear.

However this isn't a gun I shoot rapidly, I use it for three round groups only and it is allowed to cool. The charge weight I use isn't significantly higher than the standard cases max. I said I would be happy with a standard .260 Rem and I would, but having the extra horsepower is nice and does make a difference at distance. Would I get longer barrel life out of a standard .260? Yes, but for the volume I shoot we're talking maybe a few months or so, but not a whole shooting season. I've started using gun juice on my barrels as well and have noticed a lesser degree of fouling and wear. I shot 50 rounds since my last cleaning and there was nothing at all for copper fouling in the barrel. I do know guys getting substantially more rounds out of barrels before they start to loose accuarcy than what is normally expected.

As far as the whole brass life thing. I hate spending time doing brass prep. I have found so far that the cases don't need to be trimmed, a quick neck size and I'm off and running.

Both have their pros and cons and you have to weigh them against what you want and what role your rifle will fill. My next rifle could very well be the standard version, but I'll have to wait and see.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 AM

Cappy,

Thanks for all the info. What dies are you using?

Bobby B.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM

Bobby,

I'm using Redding dies as they now offer the .260AI
Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 AM

Cappy,

That's good news. I checked their list before asking about your dies, they don't list the 260AI but I'm happy to learn they offer them. Great dies. By chance, are you using Lapua brass? I heard it's available in .243 win.

Bobby B.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Cappy,

That's good news. I checked their list before asking about your dies, they don't list the 260AI but I'm happy to learn they offer them. Great dies. By chance, are you using Lapua brass? I heard it's available in .243 win.

Bobby B.
Yep, I just neck up .243 Lapua brass and then fire-form it. I did get the doughnut though, but it was very easy to remove with a reamer.

I tried necking down .308 Federal Gold Medal match brass, but the neck required outside neck turning and some developed a pretty pronounced false shoulder.

Once the initial brass prep was done I haven't had to touch them again and they are on their third firing now since then.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:29 AM

I'm shooting the 130Gr Berger VLD's in a 6.5 X 47 LAPUA. Its virtually the same as your 260 just running at higher pressures.

The 130Gr shoots scary good and with very good velocity. I am shooting a max load of Rl-15 and the bullet is seated 0.015" into the lands.
Seating deapth seems to be the key with the VLD bullets. They tend to be very intolerant of any jump to the lands.

Plan on dumping a couple of deer and possibly my bull moose with this bullet.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-