Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Tablet mount for kayak

tl;dr Does anyone know of a rail mount kit for a tablet?

I invested in a Deeper Fish Finder. It is fully functional. It tells me temperature and depth (as long as it is deeper than 1.2mm, but I can usually tell if it is shallower than 1.2m). It is great for tossing into little pockets, or running up a creek to see the temperature of an inflow.

Deeper has 1 key downside: it requires an external viewing device. I have been using an old phone. Two main problems with this: (1) the older phone does not have a great battery life and (2) my aging eyes need glasses to see the phone clearly.

As it is, I have been keeping my phone tucked in my crotch as I troll for lake trout. I need to make small enough adjustments that I am constantly staring at my crotch instead of keeping my head up. I would like to mount a small tablet on a rail mount, but I cannot find any compatible mounting kits. I would think that Deeper would have one, but they do not.

Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post

I invested in a Deeper Fish Finder. It is fully functional. It tells me temperature and depth (as long as it is deeper than 1.2mm, but I can usually tell if it is shallower than 1.2m). It is great for tossing into little pockets, or running up a creek to see the temperature of an inflow.

Deeper has 1 key downside: it requires an external viewing device. I have been using an old phone. Two main problems with this: (1) the older phone does not have a great battery life and (2) my aging eyes need glasses to see the phone clearly.

As it is, I have been keeping my phone tucked in my crotch as I troll for lake trout. I need to make small enough adjustments that I am constantly staring at my crotch instead of keeping my head up. I would like to mount a small tablet on a rail mount, but I cannot find any compatible mounting kits. I would think that Deeper would have one, but they do not.

Any ideas?
Nevermind.

After searching several times over a week, I found the solution on the first search after posting this.

The solution is RailBlaza's Screen Grabba. It is a bit pricey (the rail mount was almost as much as the screen mount), but it will serve my needs.

So, this post will sit in the archives just in case someone else has the same question. <sigh>
Old 07-06-2021, 01:33 PM

GPS City in Calgary has a great selection of mounts.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:08 PM

Ram in combo with a Scotty mount can make it work. Ram has the tablet holder part and Scotty has a mount that fits in with the Ram mount and voila.

Quote:

Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Nevermind.

After searching several times over a week, I found the solution on the first search after posting this.

The solution is RailBlaza's Screen Grabba. It is a bit pricey (the rail mount was almost as much as the screen mount), but it will serve my needs.

So, this post will sit in the archives just in case someone else has the same question. <sigh>

Was just going to recommend this.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors