Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Default I want to start trapping.

I know a few trappers in the area. I want to ask to work on one of their lines. Maybe even on a commission, and make the owner some cash. I just want to do some research and have my poop in a group before I go asking. The biggest reason I want to start is to gain the wealth of knowledge these guys possess.

So if you had an aquaintance ask you... how would you want to go about it. And what will I need as far as permits go? What are the legalities behind this?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
I know a few trappers in the area. I want to ask to work on one of their lines. Maybe even on a commission, and make the owner some cash. I just want to do some research and have my poop in a group before I go asking. The biggest reason I want to start is to gain the wealth of knowledge these guys possess.

So if you had an aquaintance ask you... how would you want to go about it. And what will I need as far as permits go? What are the legalities behind this?
Go take a trapping course, you need your license first.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:09 AM

Default Two things!!!

Like the one fella said....get your licence first....that would be key but in the mean time and if money is tight, like it was for me, find a trapper in your area that will take you out....you can't trap persay but you can go with him, while he traps and learn, your don't need a licence to skin the animals, or clear bush, or even maintain traps(ie....fix broken traps)....if you find a fella that would do that then your golden, but remember you need to put the effort in.

I have two fellas I do that for, one is a young fella that just loves it and wants to get out and learn and eventually get his trapping licence, but the other fella has no intentions of getting his licence, does not do any trapping but comes a long for the ride, clears bush for me, we shoot the ****, he hauls a lot of equipment for me, hell he's almost twice my age, but he did that with his dad when he was a boy so loves it....again he will never get his trapping licence.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Actually it is quiet simple.

First thing to do is to get a copy of the trapping regualations. They are available online at the SRD site and at all F&W offices.
Study it, know it. Regualtions differ according to regon, and species. You NEED to know what applies to YOU.

A trapping course is a good idea, but not required. You can take the test and if you pass, you are good to go, without the course.

If you have held a either trapping license in the past you are not required to take the course or the test, however, trapping regulations have changed a lot in recent years, so the course is a good idea even if you have trapped before. Assuming it was several years since you last trapped.

From there you can go down to the local F&W office and buy a Resident trappers license.
That will allow you to trap on private land that you have permission from the land owner to trap. You will need to fill out a permission form for each quarter section that you have permission on. And you must carry those forms with you when trapping.
Other then that all you would need are some traps and some idea what to do with them. For the most part resident trappers are not allowed to use snares, with a few exceptions.

Or you could persuade a active, licensed registered trapper to take you on as a junior. In that case you would be issued a trappers license card and you are good to go.
This would be the best case senerio for you in my opinion. Providing the seniour is a good teacher.
He may even loan you some traps, but it is always better if you have your own. Plus streachers for the species you intend to trap, and a good skinning knife, and a Skidoo and or ATV. Although most trappers will allow you to ride with them, your own machine is much better. Two on a machine is uncomfortable at best.

To learn about trapping methods, the first and best option is to take the course, but there are also a number of books on the subject, some of them quiet good. There are also magazines like Fur Fish & Game, a US magazine that prints how to stories about trapping.
Most of their methods, although not right for the North, can be modified to work rather well up here. And if nothing else, they give a person a place to start.

One last thing. If you want to apply for an open registered line you must have prior experiance or be able to show that you have taken the trapping course.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post

There is a trappers course here next week, would be a great place to start, i dont know what the numbers are but call shane and see if you can get in. Its in the evenings all week then a full day saturday costs $373. I can get you numbers if u want let me know.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
There is a trappers course here next week, would be a great place to start, i dont know what the numbers are but call shane and see if you can get in. Its in the evenings all week then a full day saturday costs $373. I can get you numbers if u want let me know.
I saw that on the Trappers association website. I am working tomorrow, then off to edmonton though. I'll have to keep an eye out.