Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2023, 11:57 PM

Default If I were to go to Stampede…

In Calgary for a few days and debating whether to head to Stampede with kids (girls, 5 and 9). They have never been to a rodeo or any event this size. I’ve been to a few small rodeos. Can’t say it is my thing, really, but kind of want to take the kids. It definitively won’t be an all day kind of thing: I am fairly positive the kids would want to get the heck out in a short order (am I wrong?). So here is the question(s). What would be the best time to go, where to go, etc. For myself, I’d want to catch the wagons, but it looks like this is an evening event (starts at 7:45 or something like that?), so going too early doesn’t guarantee we will stay till then. Also, the wife is tied up with work stuff until 4-30-5:00 or so and ideally I would want to go all together, but that seems like maybe late? I also have something going on in the early afternoon myself, like a bank appointment tomorrow, the next day an appointment with tirebob, etc.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. I am not even sure we will go at all, so you may all be wasting your time with the advice, haha.

Thanks y’all.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:19 AM

Take them to the zoo instead lol

I went to the stampede a few times when I lived in Calgary and it wasn’t worth it
Old 07-11-2023, 12:31 AM

People who say they don’t like the stampede but haven’t seen the rodeo won’t know, what the stampede really is.

They’re too young to sit that long at a rodeo, the zoo or especially heritage park would be a good alternative.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:46 AM

Kind of my thinking. But we have been to this zoo 2-3 times now. Last time this past… April, I believe. We have been to the Heritage Park as well. Only once though. The thing they liked the most was that mini “ferris” wheel that can get a guy dizzy. We (me and the kids) “tricked” the wife to go on it with them once… That was probably the loudest that little wheel ever was, lol (I have it on video, lol). We have also been on the boat “cruise” at the Glenmore. Wait, that’s also part of the Heritage Park, right?

Just “brainstorming” over a beer here what to do with the kids for a few days in Calgary. We are heading on a couple week long camping trip after, but these few days here… Not that easy to get ideas beside playgrounds and parks and whatnot.

Another question in regards to rodeo. If I did want to take the kids to a rodeo, would I be better off taking them to some small town event instead?
Old 07-11-2023, 02:13 AM

Go to the stampede. Lots to do besides rodeo stuff. Especially if your kids.
Rides, pavilions, face painting, carny foods, games of chance, the list goes on.
Beware though, make sure your wallet is fat and puffy when you get there. It won’t be when you leave…..
Old 07-11-2023, 04:51 AM

If your headed to the Stampede with a family of 4 the main thing to bring is lots of cash, there are lots of thing to do there to keep you occupied, it's a fun atmosphere for all ages, take your time and enjoy it.

I have been for the last 5 years take a day at the grounds then shoot the stampede grand Friday - Sunday out at AHEIA at the Calgary Shooting Center, going to skip it this year as it clashes with the Sask Provincials in Swift Current starting tomorrow, so I'm headed that way instead.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:52 AM

Calaway Park would be a better choice for the kids - it's designed around kids. They will have a better time there and (hopefully) you won't have to fight the crowds.

J.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:20 AM

You could go to Calgary Farmyard. It's just a few miles south east of Calgary off of highway 22. He's got a nice petting zoo there.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
People who say they don’t like the stampede but haven’t seen the rodeo won’t know, what the stampede really is.

They’re too young to sit that long at a rodeo, the zoo or especially heritage park would be a good alternative.
You haven't seen rodeo until you've been to a small town one. Sitting in the stands a half mile up can't compare. Stampede has become too expensive for a lot of us.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-11-2023, 09:07 AM

Your kids would be bored, not know what's going on and will want to leave in an hour.

My family (2 girls) and me rodeoed when they where young, they loved it but understood what was happening in the events. When they brought friends they where bored silly.

Maybe your girls would like to sit a horse? Find an hour trail ride close to the city, they would have more fun doing that.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Kind of my thinking. But we have been to this zoo 2-3 times now. Last time this past… April, I believe. We have been to the Heritage Park as well. Only once though. The thing they liked the most was that mini “ferris” wheel that can get a guy dizzy. We (me and the kids) “tricked” the wife to go on it with them once… That was probably the loudest that little wheel ever was, lol (I have it on video, lol). We have also been on the boat “cruise” at the Glenmore. Wait, that’s also part of the Heritage Park, right?

Just “brainstorming” over a beer here what to do with the kids for a few days in Calgary. We are heading on a couple week long camping trip after, but these few days here… Not that easy to get ideas beside playgrounds and parks and whatnot.

Another question in regards to rodeo. If I did want to take the kids to a rodeo, would I be better off taking them to some small town event instead?
There's Calaway water park just west of the city on the TCH, it is a lot of fun, and not that far out of the city. That's where I would head.

BW
Old 07-11-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
You haven't seen rodeo until you've been to a small town one. Sitting in the stands a half mile up can't compare. Stampede has become too expensive for a lot of us.

Grizz
Agreed, the small town ones are good indeed. But skipping the rodeo and only seeing the midway makes me understand why some say the stampede sucks.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Agreed, the small town ones are good indeed. But skipping the rodeo and only seeing the midway makes me understand why some say the stampede sucks.
Calaway Park is a good option, especially during Stampede week.

Grizz

Old 07-11-2023, 01:08 PM

All the years I lived in Alberta and my parents still live there and we’ve never been to the stampede. Maybe one of these years….
Old 07-11-2023, 02:16 PM

Easy to burn a day at the science center.

B
Old 07-11-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Small town rodeo is a good watch but the stampede has top end contestants so typically a far better watch.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Small town rodeo is a good watch but the stampede has top end contestants so typically a far better watch.
Not sure 8f tgingsvhave changed, but much of the stock
At the Panoka rodeo was the same as Calgary, with many of the same contestants .
Cat
Old 07-11-2023, 05:08 PM

I had never been to the honky Tonk Stampede went year before covid was a good day, lots to do there you can spend as much or as little as you want.
I would go again to see the 🤠 cowboys.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not sure 8f tgingsvhave changed, but much of the stock
At the Panoka rodeo was the same as Calgary, with many of the same contestants .
Cat
Stock will be much the same but Calgary is invitational so all the big names (majority from the states) are there.
Ponoka is the biggest CPRA rodeo in Canada, but the stampede isn't CPRA
Old 07-11-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
I had never been to the honky Tonk Stampede went year before covid was a good day, lots to do there you can spend as much or as little as you want.
I would go again to see the 🤠 cowboys.
Always get a kick out of the city folk who dress up to go to a rodeo or western concert. Sorry yall we can tell the most country thing about you is the Big Mac you had for lunch…
Old 07-11-2023, 08:18 PM

Love the small town rodeos, the dusty arena smell. As said, even big PRCA rodeos like Ponoka or Strathmore just aren't Calgary. CPRA/PRCA rodeo's anymore lots of turnouts, wrong draw, truck, train, plane broke down. At least in Calgary, you get your 10 per event, every day..

I'll still go to them all, though

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-11-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Always get a kick out of the city folk who dress up to go to a rodeo or western concert. Sorry yall we can tell the most country thing about you is the Big Mac you had for lunch…
You mean like Justin Turdeau ? Right down to the super sized belt buckle.

https://www.tiktok.com/@narcitycalga...02274095222022

Grizz

Old 07-11-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
You mean like Justin Turdeau ? Right down to the super sized belt buckle.

https://www.tiktok.com/@narcitycalga...02274095222022

Grizz
Bahaha even his security was dressed the part. What a bunch of tools!
Old 07-12-2023, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I would go and take on the event(s), lots to see and do.
Enough to keep the kids entertained and you too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Grizz
Not only are you closer to the action but the rough stock is better, more real at amateur level. Chinook rodeo association used to put on some great shows. They used to ride stuff the pros at stampede wouldn't ride. Their broncs would sunfish,swap ends like a bull,rear back wards, land on the ground on their side,stampede down the arena and after the young guys got off them . Some of the broncs would hunt them down like a bull and try to kill em like a bull. Great stuff.
Haha some of the bucking mares will pee while the kid is riding and the spray because of the bucking is going over crowd and especially the young rider. They also like to scrape the riders leg off against arena wall while they buck.
None of this nice even bucks in a half circle in front of bucking shoot like the big shots ride at the big rodeo's
More action haha