Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 PM

Default Coyote Contravercy CBC Article

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...6a?ocid=SMSDHP

It appears that the coyote competition is creating some news.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:43 PM

Should start a fake contest on deer, see how they react to that lol.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 PM

I fear this media coverage will not be good for coyote hunting in general.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWshooter View Post
Should start a fake contest on deer, see how they react to that lol.
There are many real contests that involve deer already, some offer cash. B&C, P&Y and cash prizes are given out and announced in the AO magazine annually. If you post it on FB..................your mileage will vary. FB comments appear below the article.............some real intelligent responses..................................not
Old 01-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Until coyote eats kitty then tunes change
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Personally I've never liked the "contest/body count" approach. Not against hunting yotes at all.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
some real intelligent responses..................................not
you're telling me. according to one of the scientists after we wiped out the wolves the coyotes are just filling the gap.

that doesn't explain why there's a wolf cull every year for the last few years. if there are no wolves it must be a conspiracy
Old 01-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Anyone know where the details are to sign up for this competition?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:40 PM

I have no opposition to hunting coyotes and I also occasionally go calling (I don't suffer the same anti-coyote/anti-predator vitriol as some others though).

However, coyote killing contests make hunters look like a bunch of boorish, anti-science and poorly informed nature haters.

Go and hunt coyotes, sure, but why does it have to be sullied with this rubbish? It’s irrelevant that only a handful will be killed, it’s not about the biology; it’s about the eviscerating of our credibility by a few.

Also, are we not possibly increasing the marginal fecundity of coyote populations with these half-hearted culls? Unless they are severely culled these moderate pressures may result in increased reproduction. Are these guys helping deer, or hurting them? Whitetails may have declined slightly (which may have herd health benefits) but they aren’t going anywhere in the long term in Alberta, at least not from coyote depredation!

It’s time to pursue excellence in knowledge and conduct, or hunting will lose.

Flame away...
Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Personally I've never liked the "contest/body count" approach. Not against hunting yotes at all.
Same here. Simply calling it a "hunt" gives people less material to create complaints.

"Just a simple hunt within the regulations and regular ethics, nothing to see here folks!"
Old 01-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Aw, 13 were killed last year, what a tragedy (Please don't miss the sarcasm smilie )

Better not point any anti's to the AO trapping forum's coyote count thread - they are up to 1245 so far this season!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM

Default Coyotes

Many years ago Oklahoma ran a study concerning coyotes. In a measured area I forget the size they left the coyotes completely alone and in a same size area miles away they constantly hunted and trapped them. They monitored the size of the litters in each area. In the hunted area litter size averaged 8.5 pups. The other area the size was 2.5 pups. No one has to worry about the coyotes. I think they would be the last survivor on earth. Piker
Old 01-08-2015, 05:01 PM

I like the comment about putting up fencing and adding lighting to keep coyotes away. They travel right down the street here in Calgary, under the street lights. And how does the rancher light up their pastures where there is no power?
The island at the Zoo here is about 40 acres . It cost many thousands of dollars to predator proof the fencing there. That and hundreds of man-hours; for 40 acres. How on earth can a cattle operation afford to predator proof several hundred or a few thousand acres. You need to trench in a dig out curtain of chain link fencing to 4 feet or so beneath the ground. Coyotes dig dens, so digging under a fence is no problem. Not to mention most ranches are not table flat with sandy loam to dig in.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM

The worst part of that whole article is the fact that I just don't have enough self control to not post something back to the loser comments.

I tell myself not to, I just don't listen to myself that well.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Banned

Calving season is just around the corner. Beef is going for a pretty good price.

What an excellent time to hold a coyote hunt.

For you spineless members who are ashamed to hunt coyotes do us farmers and ranchers a favour.

Trap some coyotes with a Havahart trap and release them in the city limits, or in your mom's garage.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I have no opposition to hunting coyotes and I also occasionally go calling (I don't suffer the same anti-coyote/anti-predator vitriol as some others though).

However, coyote killing contests make hunters look like a bunch of boorish, anti-science and poorly informed nature haters.

Go and hunt coyotes, sure, but why does it have to be sullied with this rubbish? It’s irrelevant that only a handful will be killed, it’s not about the biology; it’s about the eviscerating of our credibility by a few.

Also, are we not possibly increasing the marginal fecundity of coyote populations with these half-hearted culls? Unless they are severely culled these moderate pressures may result in increased reproduction. Are these guys helping deer, or hurting them? Whitetails may have declined slightly (which may have herd health benefits) but they aren’t going anywhere in the long term in Alberta, at least not from coyote depredation!

It’s time to pursue excellence in knowledge and conduct, or hunting will lose.

Flame away...
Boorish? Anti-science? poorly informed?

In 2011, the derby that Kodiak Lake Outfitters ran raised a pile of cash for a lad from the Barrhead area who had been severely burned in a workplace accident. Of course that type of story doesn't get published.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

x2. Never looked at any kind of hunting as fit to be a competitive sport, but that's just me.

Grizz
Old 01-08-2015, 05:59 PM

I'll actually miss cbc once we finally quit shoring it up with over a BILLION dollars per year.

I of course won't miss the ludicrously slanted, "news articles" such as this one, however I will miss the complete ignorance of the cbc fans posting in the comments section.

They really are funny if you don't let yourself get upset, just remember the internet allows us the wealth of the knowledge of mankind at our fingertips.....and facebook is the second most visited site; and those who get their, "facts" from it can be found posting in the cbc comments section.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
Anyone know where the details are to sign up for this competition?
Not sure Paul's phone number contact is still active because of media but here is the link I saw.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 PM

Me and a good friend of mine will be participating in the upcoming hunt.. Cant wait.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
The worst part of that whole article is the fact that I just don't have enough self control to not post something back to the loser comments.

I tell myself not to, I just don't listen to myself that well.
LOL - so true!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Calving season is just around the corner. Beef is going for a pretty good price.

For you spineless members who are ashamed to hunt coyotes do us farmers and ranchers a favour.

Trap some coyotes with a Havahart trap and release them in the city limits, or in your mom's garage.
We need a like button here.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:

This post. May have just won the internet for a day.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Boorish? Anti-science? poorly informed?

In 2011, the derby that Kodiak Lake Outfitters ran raised a pile of cash for a lad from the Barrhead area who had been severely burned in a workplace accident. Of course that type of story doesn't get published.
Correct, all three of those.

I am happy for this lad, honestly.
However, could that cash have been raised without destroying the credibility we work hard to build? Seems like a weak crutch to lean on a when there is no exclusivity for this as the only means to help a kid out.

What is the noble and altruistic motive for this event at Alberta Beach then? helping deer, helping calves? Any measurable evidence of that or rather a net loss to deer and hunters' identity in the medium term?

These events hurt us and I am incredulous that so few people can see that.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Correct, all three of those.

I am happy for this lad, honestly.
However, could that cash have been raised without destroying the credibility we work hard to build? Seems like a weak crutch to lean on a when there is no exclusivity for this as the only means to help a kid out.

What is the noble and altruistic motive for this event at Alberta Beach then? helping deer, helping calves? Any measurable evidence of that or rather a net loss to deer and hunters' identity in the medium term?

These events hurt us and I am incredulous that so few people can see that.
Who is "us"? I see a lot.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 PM

The fix for ranchers is easy, dig a moate around your property and have a dragon doing hourly patrols. This will be a little cheaper than some of the alternatives. PM me, I know a breeder.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 AM

I suppose those offended by a Yote tourney go to a golf tourney for the golfing . Or hit a bonspiels or two for the quality curling? No? Do you go for company in attendance , the hijinx, and the social aspect. Cause any of the ones I have attended that's really what it's all about that actual laying the smack down on a coyote was a distant second.
We hear it time and again that these threads do nothing more then divide us as hunters , and its not about rural and urban.. But in almost every post
So far I could make and educated guess as to where you reside, some are blatenly obvious.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 AM

Is it really that much different than a fishing tournament? Sounds like fun to me.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:29 AM

Coyote derbys are a lot of fun. Been on a few. Getting really tired of the bleeding hearts and the politically correct.