Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 05:51 AM

Default Reloading question

So im fairly new to reloading and looking at what bullet to go with. In the past I usually shoot the barns and they shot great. When I switched to my Remington .300 I found the barns are inconsistent but when I shoot a softer bullet such as a Winchester they are more consistent and accurate. Anyways my question is did I just have bad luck with the boxed barns shooting inconsistent? I would love to go back shooting barnes but don't want to waste my money reloading with Barnes if they are just going to shoot the same. Should I stick with a softer bullet such as the partitions and reload with that?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 AM

is it possible that the softer bullets are fitting to your bore better because of slight obturation on firing?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Every rifle shoots bullets different....ref reloading maybe just play with the amount of powder added....increase...decrease.....seating depth of the bullet...primers...different brass....but if that farting around is not what you want to do and the partitions shoot well then stick with that as they too are a great bullet.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-22-2020, 06:12 AM

My experience of the last while with Barnes bullets and four different rifles and cartridges is they like LOTS of jump to the lands
Cat
Old 09-22-2020, 06:49 AM

Simply changing the powder or bullet weight, or jump to the lands can change accuracy significantly. It's usually just a matter of finding the right combination. However, some bullets do shoot better than others in a given rifle.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
is it possible that the softer bullets are fitting to your bore better because of slight obturation on firing?
Thats what I'm thinking

Old 09-22-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery_nut View Post
Thats what I'm thinking

Not likely, most people are able to get very good accuracy from monometal bullets. Berger has actually introduced a monometal match bullet. More likely, you just haven't found a good load combination for your rifle.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:44 AM

I have never had a rifle that I could not get Barnes bullets to shoot well under an inch. Like Cat said, they like speed and lots of jump. Almost all of my accurate loads are very near max velocity with .05 to .15 of jump. I start with a midpoint powder load at .04 or max mag length and go shorter by .01 in 6 round batches to find what seating depth that gun likes. Most are about .06-7. Once I find the best depth then I play with the powder charge going up .3 at a time till I hit max published velocity or I get pressure signs..