Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 PM

Default WalMart Ice Huts

Anyone got one of these. I picked uone up last week and havent actually used it yet, only set it up in back yard on test run and to try out my bucley stove. The frame is like a gazebo, telescopic legs. Wondering how well it holds up in the wind. Kind of looks like the legs would just snap.

Took a gamble on it, they wouldnt let me open it in the store and check it out . And the anchors kind of suck. Thet have a little plactic handle on them. I tried putting one in the ice last time out and no go, went in about an inch and that was it. Any suggestions on anchors? Eyebolts maybe?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Is that the one that comes in a square bag? have to assemble the legs like a regular tent?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 PM

no, the frame is, how do I explain, more like a scisors or accordian style looks like the frame of a patio gazebo . Coses in rectangle bag. Ill post a few pics tomorrow. Its very tall, I would say 8 feet. but the legs are about 6 feet with no support
Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

ok, wasn't the same one I bought a couple of years ago then. Had visions of it going skyward with a mild gust. it was near 8 feet tall too, not easy to put together.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Its very tall, I would say 8 feet. but the legs are about 6 feet with no support
So it floats two feet above the ice..........wouldn't your legs get cold?

But seriously.....I don't know anything about it but here is one issue that comes to mind: The taller it is the more resistance to the wind that it'll have. Maybe take a few ratchet straps out with you for the first time so you can strap the top to the ice on the windy side just to be safe.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 AM

To be honest, Id return it and pick up one of the pop up style tents. most places have them on sale now or will be next week, and you will be returning yours after the first time out anyways. Sounds sort of like the Sears one I bought first , would have taken a bunch of people could set it up in any sort of wind, and it came with those little wire type pegs that you would use for a tent on the dirt, dont know how they figured anyone could jam those into the ice. At least Wallyworld has a good return policy.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 AM

I agree with Wayne...I was actually looking at that tent at the Wal and it looks like something that would be more hassle than it's worth. Spend a few extra bucks and get a pop up style tent that you can easily operate by yourself in the wind. You'll thank yourself for it later

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 AM

i also second waynes idea. i took alook at one of those set up at the deerfoot mall wallmart and it was hanging from ceiling just above the fishing section. the canvas material seemed really thin cause you could almost see right through.i would rather go with some thing better built. there is so much variety on sale right now from bass pro shops, the fishing hole, whole sales sports, and other retailers that carry good quality name brand stuff to fit various budgets.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Is that the green one 9x9 picked up one a couple of years ago, not good for runnnin an gunnin but when your out for a few days can't beet the room, we fish 2 and have tv, puter ( for movies,) cams, kitchen heater all set up. yes I have chased it across the ice a few times but put your anchours in first then set up works good if your not going to be moving a lot. Buddy has a 6x12 pop up headquarters and prefer this ona as it had more "usuable" space.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Anyone got one of these. I picked uone up last week and havent actually used it yet, only set it up in back yard on test run and to try out my bucley stove. The frame is like a gazebo, telescopic legs. Wondering how well it holds up in the wind. Kind of looks like the legs would just snap.

Took a gamble on it, they wouldnt let me open it in the store and check it out . And the anchors kind of suck. Thet have a little plactic handle on them. I tried putting one in the ice last time out and no go, went in about an inch and that was it. Any suggestions on anchors? Eyebolts maybe?
Google up ice angel anchors. Then go to Princess auto buy what you need and make em yourself. Cost ya maybe 6 or 7 bucks each and work like a charm. Best of all you don't have to drag a cordless drill along.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Google up ice angel anchors. Then go to Princess auto buy what you need and make em yourself. Cost ya maybe 6 or 7 bucks each and work like a charm. Best of all you don't have to drag a cordless drill along.
I pick up extras for about 5 bucks at Crappy Tire whenever I see them, well worth having a few extras around, and also for anchoring your rodholders, right slivers?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich