Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

i just said goodbye to my border collie (at 15 years old) a few weeks back. smartest dog i ever knew. i have recently adopted a chocolate lab-redbone coonhound cross. i guess #7 and #67 averages to #37? so far he doesnt strike me as super smart, but he's a great pet. besides, i didnt take him in to do my taxes...but i do hope he works out as a bird dog.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ya, I've had them all my life wrongside and they are definitely not for everyone but I couldn't imagine not having one in my life. This guy is by far the smartest and most in tune with his environment that I've ever had. All those brains make for some challenges though. He loves the mountains, he loves working stock and amazingly, he's incredibly birdy so that might be a bonus...we'll see how it develops.
I just had to put my Border Collie, Billy down last week. 14 years old and a great companion. Came to work every day with me and knew every courier that would throw his big wire for him to retrieve. The courier's that were not into dogs, he wouldn't even lift his head when they drove up.
We had his mother for 15 years and she was smart enough to read. Just couldn't speak that well.
How is your BC in the water Sheephunter?
Our BC were great for everything until their feet were off the ground. No way I could get those dogs to walk into water for a swim.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
I just had to put my Border Collie, Billy down last week. 14 years old and a great companion. Came to work every day with me and knew every courier that would throw his big wire for him to retrieve. The courier's that were not into dogs, he wouldn't even lift his head when they drove up.
We had his mother for 15 years and she was smart enough to read. Just couldn't speak that well.
How is your BC in the water Sheephunter?
Our BC were great for everything until their feet were off the ground. No way I could get those dogs to walk into water for a swim.
Sorry to hear of your loss.....they truely become part of the family.

My collie hasn't had much exposure to the water as we only got him in August. We had him in the Dock Dogs pool at the Calgary Sportsmen show and he swam well but not sure he really enjoyed it but we've had him down to the river a few times since and he didn't mind swimming a little bit. We'll see once spring rolls around. My first border collie was a great water retriever but my last one hated water. Think this one might fit in the middle somewhere.

Love the comment about your female
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM

This is Hueston. Does it all. Hikes, fishes, and can pop wheelies on his bike.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Default How does your dog rate???

I have a Dogo Argentino and he's not even on the list..I have to admit he is very smart in some ways.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

I am at #82. My dog is an azzhole tho, not an Idiot.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM

My sister has the dumbest dog in the world. It is a Cocker Spaniel. I call him "Stupko" and believe me he is dumb. If you throw a stick for him to fetch he runs the other way.
My old Collie "Laddy" was a smart dog.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm skeptical of this list and what the author chose as guidelines to determine which breeds made the list. American Eskimos aren't even on the list and they are a highly intelligent breed. The Esky originally started becoming popular in the states from Barnum and Baily, they were the first known dog breed in the world that was trained to walk a tightrope. Because they have a high train ability they excel in obedience and agility training and everything I've ever read about them, their intelligence exceed that of a Siberian Husky or Malamute. My Esky is quite intelligent and clever so I don't put much merit into the validity of this list.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I'm skeptical of this list and what the author chose as guidelines to determine which breeds made the list. American Eskimos aren't even on the list and they are a highly intelligent breed. The Esky originally started becoming popular in the states from Barnum and Baily, they were the first known dog breed in the world that was trained to walk a tightrope. Because they have a high train ability they excel in obedience and agility training and everything I've ever read about them, their intelligence exceed that of a Siberian Husky or Malamute. My Esky is quite intelligent and clever so I don't put much merit into the validity of this list.
#101 American Eskimos...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I'm skeptical of this list and what the author chose as guidelines to determine which breeds made the list. American Eskimos aren't even on the list and they are a highly intelligent breed.
Ok...I'll give ya the fact that they are smarter than the other huskies (19,20,21 ...WTF??????)

But I wouldn't call them "intelligent"

Now....my old Basset Hound at 91

Karelians never even made the list

tm
Old 03-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Giant Schnauzer here.

If you look at most herding (working dogs) the GS ranks right up there.

They have a bit of a bad rep though. Very willful, and a bite second to a pitbull.

that said, you leave him to gaurd your kids at my place, rest easy.

Rapid speed bursts of 45 mph for 15 seconds means he can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. And at his current weight 125lbs, he still has a year to go before he is filled out completely.

To date he has caught over 11 blue grouse for dinner.

But ya gotta keep them busy or they get real destructive. So far, 1 complete loveseat has been destroyed and 1 wingback chair.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 PM

Just had to go apologize to Sophie, our just about 2 year old Beagle. Looks like she isn't the dumbest dog in the whole world. But she can flip up the covers and crawl under them into bed with the kids like a true champion.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM

our dog #1 at 8 weeks this dog was herding the cats.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
I am at #82.
So like there are 81 dog breeds smarter than you?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 AM

Personally I'd be more interested in a listing of the smartest dog owners.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
sheephunter

This is why border collies are #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePalTFw5iKM