Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2016, 06:10 AM

Default Flying with Tackle

Has anyone here done this? Some airlines allow 2 rods, 1 reel, pr of boots (waders I assume) and a tackle box and a total of 115 liner inches. How do they expect this to be packaged up? Tagged and separate? Bundled?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Rods go separate in a protective case, reels in the luggage along with all the accessories even throw in a break down rode in case the other rods go missing so at least you still can fish.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 AM

I pack my reels in my carry-on back pack. The most expensive pieces stay with me and going through security is never an issue.

I pack my lures and rods in my checked baggage. I used to carry two piece rods, but then these would always get shipped through the oversized packages. On connections where time is short, I didn't have great luck with getting the oversized transferred in time, and sometimes get these out in time to go through customs can be challenging. I have since purchased 4 piece rods that fit into my checked bags and now don't have to check oversized bags, and have found it much nicer and relaxing to travel.

My checked bag always seems to get opened up and looked at, and I believe it is due to the metal, etc from the lures I am travelling with. The checked bags get scanned, and when the metal detector goes off, well...they open it up, look to see what I am transporting, put everything back, leave a nice note for me informing they checked it, and everything is returned and all good.

There are some decent quality four piece travel rods out there. The Fishing Hole and Wholesale have some for sale - depending on your targeted species, different lengths, line weight, etc are available.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 AM

I bought one of these: http://fishpondusa.com/product/detai...reel-case/1960

Fishpond is kinds pricey and others are available. It's fits in the overhead storage and I've never been questioned about it's size - just what's inside. I put rods, reel, lines tippets etc in it. Tools and hooks have to go checked baggage in most cases. I include enough clothes/ toiletries for a couple of days in case my checked luggage gets lost. This also also has a secure exterior spot for tickets and other travel documents.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Has anyone here done this? Some airlines allow 2 rods, 1 reel, pr of boots (waders I assume) and a tackle box and a total of 115 liner inches. How do they expect this to be packaged up? Tagged and separate? Bundled?
Which airlines put restrictions on the amount of tackle? I travel 2- 3 times per year with far more equipment than that and have never had issues with numbers of rods, reels etc from the airlines. Some countries may have restrictions as to what you can bring in. Mexico comes to mind,,,,

At any rate, reels in your carry on,,, travel rods either in checked luggage,,, or as your second personal carry on (TFO makes a roll up bag that I have carried up to 9 rods in,,, looks like a yoga matt to the non fishing public!!!),,, fishing tools in checked,,,, I always check lures and flies, but apparently they have relaxed the rules on hooks now, but I don't know the details,,, TSA usually asks about hooks so to avoid hassle I will continue to check all hooks.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 AM

You can take fishing hooks on the plane as long as the shank isnt longer than 6cm. I've been through Canada, US and many South and Central American countries with no issues. With my fishing rod tubes I have had no issues in North America and Europe, but at Quito boarder security I had to check my rod tube because it looked too "clubbish".
Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM

I have a 4 piece Rapala Baja Magnum surf rod, it's a bit too big to fit into my luggage. The tube is 39" long, is that going to make it as a carry on??????????
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I have a 4 piece Rapala Baja Magnum surf rod, it's a bit too big to fit into my luggage. The tube is 39" long, is that going to make it as a carry on??????????
Seen lots of guys carry on rod tubes that long. How wide is the tube? You can always carry the rod on in a sock.

TFO has a series of 3 piece TiCr spin / baitcasting rods that fit into 30 inch plus luggage, nice fishing tools to boot.

Lots of 4 piece fly rod options from several manufacturers in the $100 - $300 range if that something you wish to fish with.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:13 PM

The tube is about 3.5" diameter.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
The tube is about 3.5" diameter.
That diameter should not be an issue. It will depend on the ticketing agent and room on the plane. If the plane is full of holiday sun seekers, they may ask you to check the rod or you might be able to store it in the storage closets at the front of the plane. I would make sure I show up for ticketing good and early,,,
Old 02-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Flying with Tackle

Flying to Vegas a few years ago I had no problems with a 39" Rod tube that was 3" in diameter , I just checked in early and had my reel packed in my carry on. The staff at West Jet were great. Was able to place the rod tube in the back of overhead storage and was catching striped bass in Lake Mead with my own rig the next day.