Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM

Default RIB for family fishing rig

Just wondering if there is any experience out there using an inflatable boat for fishing and camping with a larger family. I’ve got a 12’ Lund which fits nice on my truck but it’s too small for my family of six. Could move up to a 14’ but looking at a 14’ inflatable I see has a much higher capacity. We usually fish along shores of Kootenay Lake and some smaller mountain lakes.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:47 PM

I got a 12ft zodiac and with 2 adults and 2 kids, it's a little cramped. Imho, I think it a 14ft with 6 people might still be to small.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:52 PM

I have owned a couple of inflatables and fished off friends inflatables and rigid inflatables(ribs) up to 18ft. All have been gas outboard powered. They do offer far less internal usable space due to the size of the tubes, and freeboard is generally low. They are usually wet boats as well from the spray and offer no protection from the elements. But the smaller inflatables are easily stored and transported, (but inflating and getting in the floors can sometimes be a challenge), and inflatables and ribs both offer great weight carrying and good seakeeping for there size. The better quality manufacturers tubes are pretty tough as well and u have never had one punctured while fishing.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:52 AM

I think you are referring to a Inflatable with hard floor and inflatable keel. A Rib is a aluminum or fibreglass boat hull with the tubes attached to the perimeter. If you are looking for the aforementioned, I would recommend a 14' minimum. even a 16' inflatable will be cramped for 6. If you want to go fast and get on step with it you will need a large motor and high quality boat, either a Zodiac Classic mark II or III or Mercury. I have seen the other brands made in china or asia copies that look similar but are not as rigid when inflated. No amount of power will get one of those boats up on step loaded.
You will be dealing with assembly and disassembly each outing? Will be a pain in the back as they are 200 lbs or more to setup. Most will assemble for the season and leave it on a trailer, then bag it up when season ends. A good quality Inflatable will run you around $4000 without power or trailer.
For lake use and 6 people, I would find a good used 16 to 18' Bow rider fibreglass boat with
outboard and trailer. and pull it with another vehicle.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:05 PM

Ok, great! Thanks for the input. I think there is a place for inflatables but not for me.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Default Inflatable boats

RHIB (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat) is the proper terminology. I have fished out of these type of boats. Just be aware hey tend to hop right out of the water (i.e. stern wheelie) when the throttle is cracked.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Default Inflateable boat

I have 2 which we can store in back of truck when camping in BC, where you can not pull a boat trailer behind a 5th wheel camper. I liked it when fishing with small kids because they all want to look over the same side when a fish is coming in . A hard body boat leans over when everyone goes to one side but the inflatable is more stable.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 AM

There is big difference between RIB (RHIB0)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid-...nflatable_boat

and the blow up / fold away inflatable version.

RIBs are the workhorse boats often used for commercial, military and rescue operations for the RIb's ability to safely handle rough seas.

As TimeOff has pointed out a quality RIB is far from portable or cheap.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Banned

Family of 6, don't mess around looking for the bare minimum. I wouldn't get anything less than a wide beam 16' aluminum. Don't mess with your family's safety. Jmo.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

You might consider a Portabote. Tough as nails, easily transported on the roof, and virtually unsinkable... in fact, it won't.

https://www.porta-bote.com/

https://youtu.be/RzEy74NZuss
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM

Thought Id open this discussion up again. The boat i had been looking at is not a RIB but an inflatable floor (14’ stryker hunter). Seems like a high quality inflatable and wondering if anyone has experience with 6 people in a 14’ inflatable. We’d likely only be out for a couple hours at a time. Beaching it here and there to swim, explore and fish.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansonj View Post
Thought Id open this discussion up again. The boat i had been looking at is not a RIB but an inflatable floor (14’ stryker hunter). Seems like a high quality inflatable and wondering if anyone has experience with 6 people in a 14’ inflatable. We’d likely only be out for a couple hours at a time. Beaching it here and there to swim, explore and fish.
Just looked at the model. It has the capacity being rated up to 10 people and 3000 lbs but that would be crammed in a rescue type situation. Inside dimensions are only 9'5 x 2'10. 6 people and any sort of gear is going to be tight.