Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Does The Fishin’ Hole price match?

I’m not a fan of buying at big box when I can get better service at a smaller local store. That being said, Cabelas has quite a few of their fly lines on sale currently, while The Fishin’ Hole doesn’t have much on sale at all that I’m looking for, everything I want is full price. I’d prefer to buy there, but I’m in the market for 4 new lines and at a difference of an average of $40 off per line, that adds up.

Now, I’m not cheap at heart, and by no means interested in nickel and diming them, however I did just order 2 new reels from them with spare spools to the tune of over $1500 total, so they have gotten the lion’s share of my business. Just not going to bother asking if I risk offending, or wasting my time for a certain no. I’ll just go to big box instead.

Input?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:35 PM

Most of the time they will price match as long as a local location has stock(Edmonton North or South Cabelas has to have the fly line you want). That means they usually have to look up the prices online and then might have to phone tot confirm stock.

The one exception is blowout prices. If Cabelas is blowing something out at say 75% off then they won't price match. They pretty much refuse to sell anything for a loss, even to employees(I tried lol).

They also won't match online deals, only locally available items.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 AM

The southside store has never been willing to do it for me. I'm all for supporting the local guys but if I can get a much better deal else wear.....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 AM

Cabelas blow out prices can be crazy sometimes. If you do most of your business supporting local, then I see no issue snagging a great deal. Could be worth a call though

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2018, 08:31 AM

I was never a guy to chisel the vendor to match a price. I like to support the local guys as much as I can, and won't dicker over a few bucks.

If I feel or know I can save substantially then I might go across town to the big box store and make my purchase. But I always weigh my time factor into the equation. If I decide it's worth my time then I go to where my wallet takes me.

BW
Old 07-27-2018, 06:27 PM

In short price matching is only supporting local business if they still are making a profit.

I like to support The Fishin' Hole but if I see a sale somewhere for 30+% off on something I want I will just go buy it rather then trying to get them to price match. Sure they might make a few bucks if I went there instead but if you factor in the time and overhead costs as well as the hassle they aren't really making any money and are just depleting stock they would probably otherwise sell for a profit.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I wouldn't bother to be honest, coming from Beaumont to the West side store where I want to go, I actually drive right by Cabelas to get there, so I'm actually going out of my way to make it happen. However, I DO want to go to their store anyways to look for some other stuff so was hoping to just bring the reels and spools with me and get them to string them up with backing and line while I'm shopping. However, after spending a mint with them online on the reels and spools, I don't also want to pay a premium on the 4 lines, nor do I feel the obligation to, if they can be had elsewhere for ~$70/each vs $100/$110 each at the store.

I do agree that if they aren't actually in stock at big box, then there should be no price match. If I can't actually go buy it cheaper, why should they have to match? Makes sense to me.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:39 PM

Why wouldn't you just call them?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Why wouldn't you just call them?
Because if we all just picked up the phone to get our questions answered then this forum, Google, and about half of the internet would cease to be. I'm just helping feed the beast.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:09 PM

Dont feel bad. I was their store manager and often myself the staff and even my boss onevof the owners would b6 product elsewhere. They dont get the concept that takw a loss on one item and thw fact none of us ever walk out with that 1 item plus future purchases. Famous saying is take all deals. It will balance out later.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:40 PM

You bet. Throw a lowball number at them the worst they can say is no. Just make sure it's cash and you are talking to the man that has the power to approve or veto such an offer. It's your money bud. The mark up on certain things is ridiculous. I buy 95 percent of my stuff from crappy tire. Flies and high end stuff are the exception and the high end stuff doesn't move well after the dust settles on it. The money you save could buy your gas to your destination or some food for your family
I do it all the time it's fun for me. Don't be rude if they don't accept get a hat thrown in or a tub of minnows or some dang thing. 1500 bux from one customer is big for the fishin hole in this competitive market.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 PM

If you spend enough - and spend large enough, often enough the store manager will know you and he will take care of you.

I'd say a $1500 one time purchase won't get you into the discount club.

People buy electronics, trolling motors, expensive fly reels and nice rods in there everyday.

If you are in there every second week ringing it up like that - you might get invited into the club.

That's the way these guys work.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:09 PM

Another saying in retail is nobody pays retail. Never be afraid to ask for a discount. You would be surprised how discounts come out of nowhere big or small it is a saving only because you asked. I used to give them all the time and do the same myself. I get all kinds of extra dollars savings or freebies too only because I ask.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:06 PM

You bet gringo. Only the strong survive. My old man would bicker over a cup of coffee and fumble thru his change until the clerk would give in. He is worth millions.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:07 AM

Default Sometimes

They did for me when I bought my rod and reel .
Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 AM

In my experience, the guys at TFH are very good. It depends on the customer's attitude.

If you've rarely set foot in there before and you're just looking to chisel them or haggle with a lowball offer on a few items and tell them how you can buy it cheaper somewhere else, you likely won't get very far.

On the other hand, if you're a fairly regular customer, and you're a good guy, I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll price match for you on items that are in stock, and possibly even offer you a small discount on bigger purchases.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If you spend enough - and spend large enough, often enough the store manager will know you and he will take care of you.

I'd say a $1500 one time purchase won't get you into the discount club.

People buy electronics, trolling motors, expensive fly reels and nice rods in there everyday.

If you are in there every second week ringing it up like that - you might get invited into the club.

That's the way these guys work.
If someone was in there spending $1500 every second week. I think they have far more $$ than fishing skill.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM

Remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Go into the store with good information and be pleasant and you will most likely get what you want. Go in like a ass clown and you may get hassled back or a no. Retail is still about people so treat them right and you will usually get the favor returned.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM

I bought a Lowrance 3g Radar from them a couple years ago. This was at the South store. They did bargain a little because we also bought a couple $800 reels, some rods, lots of gear. I can't get a break from the North store. Every once in a while they might give 10% but for me to buy anything there I have to wait for the wall-to-wall sale.
Tough store to get a deal from.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-31-2018, 12:50 PM

Anyone ever asked for a discount or tried to haggle on price at Bass Pro or Cabelas? How did that go?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:13 PM

I used that line many times. Only time it came back on me was when they were way less than us.

Thats the good part about having an open system in sales is you can do what you need to do with no hassles to get the sale. It used to scare the crap out of them as they only like giving discounts when you have to for the most part. Wheeling and dealing is a whole different retail if you havent done it before. It can be fun too but the concept is the customer is always happy as he thinks he got a good deal and it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Anyone ever asked for a discount or tried to haggle on price at Bass Pro or Cabelas? How did that go?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin g View Post
They did for me when I bought my rod and reel .
In all the fly fishing stores, it is a fairly common if you buy a rod and reel to get the line for a significant discount.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Not sure about haggle. But they both price match!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 PM

They might price match at cabelas but the attitude you get once in awhile at the rifle counter has put me off. I just go there for certain hard to find stuff. Like I said earlier I go to crappy tire first just for ease of shopping and nice open-hassle free shopping with rock bottom prices and Canadian buisness. Fishin hole for wireworms and bait and ice fishing shacks, aqua views I bought there and flies. Nice alberta boys there that love to fish. Wholesale sports was such a turnoff from their floor people that I think that's what got them in the end. I support the fishin hole as much as I can but when I want hand fulls of generic tackle like lennies and mister twister and Rapala and Jims jigs crappy tire it is. My opinion.