Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 AM

Default Ice Conditions In General

With the warm weather over the next week anyone concerned with ice conditions? Personally, I feel it will be okay as temperatures drop below zero in the evening. Edmonton area that is. Always use caution of course. Especially with the upcoming family day weekend I assume their will be a lot of traffic on local lakes.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM

Default Weather forecast for the next week

It's going to be a warm one in Calgary this week.

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Ice never reached normal thickness in Edmonton area. My experience 30 plus inches is common in late winter. Most I've read in threads is 24", and I think some are exaggerating at that. Northern AB may be a different story, generally a bit cooler in that part of the woods.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:07 AM

I have been a to a number of lakes this year and haven't seen a single lake with more then 20 inches of ice. 15 is average right now and has ranged from 12-18. People definitely need to be careful, this isn't your usual February ice conditions. I wouldn't be too worried up around Edmonton, just be smart. Don't be like the guy I saw yesterday bombing across the lake probably doing 50 kph in a full size truck bouncing up and down off drifts etc on 14-15 in of ice... Guy had more luck then brains...
Old 02-08-2016, 12:23 PM

I just got a call from a customer in Yellowknife this morning and he said that the winter roads are at least 3 weeks behind. One of the local lakes up that way only has 18". The temp up there this AM is -38C.

Makes me wonder how people are measuring ice around here.

L.S.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
I just got a call from a customer in Yellowknife this morning and he said that the winter roads are at least 3 weeks behind. One of the local lakes up that way only has 18". The temp up there this AM is -38C.

L.S.
I use my ice scoop, has measurements right on it and its always there. Handle is only 18 inches and has reached on every lake I have fished this winter.

Only 18 inches up there is crazy. They must have been as warm as us or had a lot of snow cover early.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM

Default Half moon

Took the kids out yesterday for some mini perch action....was 21" of good ice at Half Moon...
Old 02-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I will be approx. 200K northeast of Edmonton so hopefully all is good. With a 1 ton truck and 12' scamper modified to a shanty its a bit of weight.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post

L.S.
They're not hauling north yet? That's going to cause some problems to those companies that depend on these roads.

BW
Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 AM

Was out yesterday on ste Anne was a good 22" where I was seen lots of guy out with big trucks all over. Not saying it's good . The bit was good nothing crazy. Few b class walleye . Have a good one . Will be a crazy weekend out there be safe