Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Magnets near rangefinders?

Has anyone found that storing your rangefinder in a magnetic pouch causes damage? Had anyone stored one near a magnet for a long time and been fine?

I have a badlands Bino XR pouch and i am wondering if the magnet would cause any issues.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM

My bushnell whatever model came new with a pouch with a magnetic closure. It's about 6 years old now, checked it against my buddy's new leopold last season and it was bang on. . .
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 PM

Thanks. I purchased a Vortex Ranger 1500 in December and put it into the magnetic pouch case with my binos. I started using it in October and found it wasnt working properly. Sent it to Vortex last week and I have now received my new one. I just wondered if the pouch may have caused an issue or if it was just a lemon unit.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Thanks. I purchased a Vortex Ranger 1500 in December and put it into the magnetic pouch case with my binos. I started using it in October and found it wasnt working properly. Sent it to Vortex last week and I have now received my new one. I just wondered if the pouch may have caused an issue or if it was just a lemon unit.
Its a vortex, of course it was a lemon . When you get one that works they're good though.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Its a vortex, of course it was a lemon . When you get one that works they're good though.
Thanks. Ive been very happy with my optics and my Ranger 1000 before upgrading to the 1500. I was nervous to go through a warranty claim but I am blown away at the exceptional warranty response by Vortex. The new unit appears to be working well.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:11 AM

Yes, when you get a good vortex they are good, I know I went through two of their PST models before getting a good one. Their warranty was amazing every time I've sent one in.

As for magnets I keep my Leica in a similar case and have never had an issue.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:20 AM

I have a Badland case and swaro el ranger, I store them together and I have never had any issues. Couple of my friends have zeiss range glasses with same bino badland case and they also have no problems
Old 11-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Just an update. I had messaged Vortex and asked about magnets near the rangefinder and they said it is not a problem.