Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Default boat ramps

new to cold lake...just bought a 14 foot aluminum boat with 15 hp. are there places on Cold Lake that are ok for this size boat, if so is it a place where my kids might catch fish (any kind)? as well as any other close lakes that have a ramp within .5 hour, for after work in the evenings?
I am saving pinehurst and wolf for weekends.

ty
Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 PM

You can launch at Cold Lake Provincial Park (follow the signs to launch) or there is a boat launch right in town at the Marina (Lakeshore drive and 8th).

The one at the Marina charges you per launch.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Launch at the park and stay in the bay. lots of little pike to keep you and the little ones busy, with the occasional walleye. You can troll around the park peninsula for larger fish. The water is so clear there you can see them go after your hooks almost as far as you can cast.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Go to Ethel lake up primerose towards Marie lake.
Launch at the mb campground, go straight out from the launch slightly left across the lake and there are weed beds full of gators, perch too then head up the lake away from the launch towards the end, in about 12 feet of water or so small five of diamond or a deep billed rapella, slow troll or retrieve and you can hammer big walleye too. Can't keep the walleye unless you got tags.
Lake is small and a great fir for your boat/motor combination plus the kids will be super entertained.
Jaw spreaders and pliers cuz the gators are ferocious there.
Enjoy!

Oh yeah can also fish Marie lake too, lots of walleye in that lake too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 07-27-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:37 AM

I got a 14 deep v crestliner with a 15horse Honda short leg and have no issues out on the big water going after lakers, some have probably seen my mighty vessel out there many times with both rods bent, a chocolate lab darting back and forth and us having a blast.
What I did was put a flat floor in, a few swivel seats, an opening in the floor that fits a cooler perfect, added a fish liar to see the bottom and what I am not catching, kinda made the most out of small spaces.
Oh yeah little bear lake for stocked rainbow trout is fun too, they get a little muddy tasting about now but if it's catching and not keeping for entertainment then that's another option.
Hit this lake as soon as the ice is off and they taste good.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:02 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for the feedback, kids will enjoy.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I got a 14 deep v crestliner with a 15horse Honda short leg and have no issues out on the big water going after lakers, some have probably seen my mighty vessel out there many times with both rods bent, a chocolate lab darting back and forth and us having a blast.
What I did was put a flat floor in, a few swivel seats, an opening in the floor that fits a cooler perfect, added a fish liar to see the bottom and what I am not catching, kinda made the most out of small spaces.
Oh yeah little bear lake for stocked rainbow trout is fun too, they get a little muddy tasting about now but if it's catching and not keeping for entertainment then that's another option.
Hit this lake as soon as the ice is off and they taste good.
I'm pretty sure I've seen you out there ............. that's a good set up and probably more sea worthy than most would imagine, however, in big chop, any sized boat needs to pick it's battles and call a day a day when it's time to do so.

I've come off that lake with my boat when I was taking them over the bow and both bilge pumps looked like a garden hose on full blast ****ing out the sides. It wasn't fun anymore at that point either.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm pretty sure I've seen you out there ............. that's a good set up and probably more sea worthy than most would imagine, however, in big chop, any sized boat needs to pick it's battles and call a day a day when it's time to do so.

I've come off that lake with my boat when I was taking them over the bow and both bilge pumps looked like a garden hose on full blast ****ing out the sides. It wasn't fun anymore at that point either.
Your right.....keep your eye to the sky and never chance it even with a large vessel.
Had some big waves break across my fish/ski boat and it's not funny when a foot deep of water is rushing to the back of the boat, if there was two consecutive ones the bilges would not have kept up.
You can be out in some big rollers but when they start to break its not fun plus getting to shore just to puke after fighting to get your boat on the trailers day wraps up the day