Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Seige,

You made a few mistakes, but the biggest one was to try and explain yourself on the internet.

We all make mistakes, own up and move forward.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
Just re read it, maybe you’ll spot it, if not.. just keep the reading until you do, k
The obvious answer is that you aren't as honest as you would have us believe. Had the officer not showed up, and found the hair and blood, you would likely have never admitted to what you did.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The obvious answer is that you aren't as honest as you would have us believe. Had the officer not showed up, and found the hair and blood, you would likely have never admitted to what you did.
I think you have made your point....
Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 PM

So the elk was lost completely as well?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM

How easy is it to handle anything physically with the fractured vertebrae. And how heavy was the wolf?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Forget the lawyer. Pay the fines and be happy that's all you got. Strangest story I have ever read on AO.

Just kinda wondering why you had time to read regs from 1986, but not 2019? Just asking...
Old 11-05-2019, 06:48 PM

The wardens reading this won't be able to sleep tonight because they can't stop laughing.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:42 PM

Nice "story" ... Next time.. blame yourself ... not everything and everybody else !
Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 PM

I swear this never happens...
Old 11-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
This is just sounding fisher by ever post from the OP again if any of it is true charge him to the fullest for he keeps saying he would do it again. Sounds like he didn't even look at the regs.
One has to wonder if this is just a tall tale ?

Grizz
Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
The wardens reading this won't be able to sleep tonight because they can't stop laughing.
Yes exactly.
Thanks for a dandy tale.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:42 PM

Well that was a pretty long read...but... I didn't get past the " lost something like 12 cows and up to 30 calves ….” before my spidey senses started going off the chart.
...I think I may have to "take a knee" and try to catch my breath!! LOL.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Gone Hunting

I've found myself in almost this exact situation a couple times.
what works for me is to 'take a knee' and if I have cell service I call the nearest Ford dealer and trade in my Dodge Dually.

Great story.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-05-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
"..I felt like I needed a little bit of support and I called the Conservation Officers.."

"...I knew I was safe, let alone being on private land/predation/being surrounded by an entire pack etc.."
I still cannot fathom why any CO was ever called.
You ratted your own self out, lol.

Last edited by tri777; 11-05-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:18 PM

Firstly you didn't take the time to learn the law's in the province you were hunting in. You then report yourself for your illegal activities due to your ignorance, and you are now here looking for sympathizers? I'm speechless, good luck to you.

Last edited by Badone20; 11-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:51 PM

Interesting story. I don’t really see what you can say in court to defend your actions. Loaded gun in the vehicle and hunting out of season and without a license it appears. Plus you already got a break in the amount of $1,180 from the officer when he reduced your fine from what you wrote.

So in Saskatchewan I cannot shoot wolves eating my livestock on my property. Did I understand that part correctly? Does anyone know? Pretty weird if that’s the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I've found myself in almost this exact situation a couple times.
what works for me is to 'take a knee' and if I have cell service I call the nearest Ford dealer and trade in my Dodge Dually.

Great story.
Lol. Good stuff, Redfeog!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:07 PM

My favorite part was when he felt "violated" for breaking multiple laws and then getting caught.
That mean officer doing his job and enforcing the law should talked softly and gave him a hug.

Everyone is a victim these days.

Imagine the poor officer, walks up on a bloody truck looks in and sees a guy with a rifle in his "skivvies". I'm gonna guess that would put a fella on high alert.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
My favorite part was when he felt "violated" for breaking multiple laws and then getting caught.
That mean officer doing his job and enforcing the law should talked softly and gave him a hug.

I"]magine the poor officer, walks up on a bloody truck looks in and sees a guy with a rifle in his "skivvies". I'm gonna guess that would put a fella on high alert[/COLOR].
Thats the part that had me laughing out loud, hands up, who sits in their truck in their underwear with a loaded gun waiting for the trailer to warm up? thats some crazy s&&t...
Old 11-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Some times decent people make mistakes. We all do.

I have no doubt you had no intent to break any laws. Unfortunately a moment of excitement or inattention can lead to regrets, that's life.

I hope you pay the fines and learn from this experience and never do anything like that again.

It's funny how so many talk as though they have never done anything like that. Well maybe I'm not as smart as the rest of you, but I'll admit I have.

Just last fall I went down to the river to do some fishing. I knew the season closed the end of October. I had not been watching the calendar but I knew it was very close to the end of the month.

So I get to the river, take out the fishing gear and then, more out of caution then anything else I decide to check the date. I was sure it was October 30, but I had not been paying attention to the date so figured I had better confirm it.

Well it wasn't October 30, it was November 2. Opps.

I still don't know what prompted me to check. I was sure I knew the date.

I will admit to that, and no more.

Let's face it people. These days there are so many laws governing our lives that few of us could possibly know them all. Many of us think we do and it is by the grace of God that we have not yet found ourselves in a similar situation. Maybe not with regards to hunting, but almost for certain, in some way with some rule we thought we knew.

A while back I remember reading about someone getting charged for having a damaged driver license. Who knew that could get person in trouble!
Not me.

I should read every word of every statute pertaining to every thing I do or may do.
I know.

Some laws are a given and we should instinctively know those things are wrong without being told. Murder for example.
Other laws make no sense at all, like the one you ran up against with the wolves, or the fellow with the torn drivers license.

The majority have no guilt about speeding, it's against the law by the way.
Yet those same people will jump on someone who forgot to unload their rifle before getting into a vehicle.

I have a lot more respect for a man who admits his mistakes then one who pretends he never makes any.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-06-2019, 12:53 AM
Banned

Jeepers Keg, you are a wind bag for sure!

No one here said they haven’t made mistakes, everyone has, obviously. But come on man, read this story from the beginning, and the following comments from the OP. The story is full of holes and weird actions from the OP. The first story went from happily killing three wolves feeding on a dead cow to a full self defence his life was in danger scenario after a few guys started questioning his story.

I sure would like to hear the vegan, hunter hating CO’s side of the story...

This happens every year here. Some guy gets caught doing something wrong in the field and posts here expecting back up from his fellow hunters by saying the CO was in the wrong.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Jeepers Keg, you are a wind bag for sure!

No one here said they haven’t made mistakes, everyone has, obviously. But come on man, read this story from the beginning, and the following comments from the OP. The story is full of holes and weird actions from the OP. The first story went from happily killing three wolves feeding on a dead cow to a full self defence his life was in danger scenario after a few guys started questioning his story.

I sure would like to hear the vegan, hunter hating CO’s side of the story...

This happens every year here. Some guy gets caught doing something wrong in the field and posts here expecting back up from his fellow hunters by saying the CO was in the wrong.
I read it again and I don't see what you seem to see.
Sure he admits to being a bit anxious about the situation and does suggest it could be defined as self defense but does not state anywhere I could find, that it was self defense.

I think being concerned for ones life in that situation is probably normal for most people who have not been close to a pack of Wolves before.

I can see him being reluctant to admit that at first and I can really understand him trying to appease this crowd.

I have first hand experience with the wolf pack here. It's very hard to not get defensive when all guns are pointed at you.

And yes I know it wasn't all, I also know it sure feels like all when this wolf pack smells blood.

In fact it is the very reason I made the post I did. That was not for your benefit, it was to let him know there was at least one AO member who was not about to judge him.

I mean come on! The guy admitted he messed up in his first post, with the loaded gun thing . And he stated that he knew it at the time.

Why the need for some to say, there are no excuses. Clearly he was not making excuses.

Nuff said.

By the way, why do you feel the need to be insulting. Did I insult you in some way?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 AM
Banned

He made excuses with every post Keg, learn to read and follow along. I think you need to read it again.

-shot three wolves out of season
-shot an elk and lost it(not illegal, but adds to the story)
-called the CO thinking he was doing something illegal when the one wolf was to big???
-lying to the CO when hair and blood was found in the back of his truck while sitting in it with a loaded rifle.

Does none of that seem odd to you? The whole story sounds odd to me from someone who has hunted a long time according to him.

Just an honest mistake, bull crap...
Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 AM
Banned

Self defence sounds pretty good but if I were you I’d go with an insanity defence. It might be easier to sell to the judge.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post

Imagine the poor officer, walks up on a bloody truck looks in and sees a guy with a rifle in his "skivvies". I'm gonna guess that would put a fella on high alert.
Agreed
Old 11-06-2019, 01:48 AM
Banned

And Keg, I’m betting we would get a whole other story from the vegan, hunter hating CO.

I love how that always gets added to these stories, the hunter was the victim all along
Old 11-06-2019, 05:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Wow,thats a fine mess you got yourself in--Buttttt loaded gun in vehicle????One shot in the air,the wolves soon miles away.Bite the bullet,lesson learn.The lawyers fees,thousands $$$$.
that was a poop show from the start....ya gotta regroup and ensure you lawfully hunt, transport firearms etc....if not we'll here comes the fines, court appearances etc....regroup!

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Self defence sounds pretty good but if I were you I’d go with an insanity defence. It might be easier to sell to the judge.
Just have the judge read the post. There won’t be any question.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 AM

Pics or it didn’t happen!
Old 11-06-2019, 05:57 AM

The whole thread fails my sniff test.

Ever get the feeling somebody likes spinning yarns?

There are no absolutes
Old 11-06-2019, 06:12 AM

Best thread of the year so far....

5 of diamonds right here boys!