Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM

Default Rod builders in edmonton

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone who could convert a 10' g-loomis custom made spinning rod into a 10' fly rod for a reasonable price here in edmonton. At this time in my life, I would rather fly fish than just about any other style of fishing, and this IMX would make a great rod for pike.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 PM

i build fly rods
but that rod wont work .the spine in the blank is not right for flyfishing
not to mention the action .
you would be better off selling it on the classifides and buying a new one.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew of someone who could convert a 10' g-loomis custom made spinning rod into a 10' fly rod for a reasonable price here in edmonton. At this time in my life, I would rather fly fish than just about any other style of fishing, and this IMX would make a great rod for pike.Any help would be appreciated.
I have seen it done, but not successfuly though as the rod didn't feel good to me and casting was hard on the shoulder. The taper is for a spinning rod and not for a fly rod.
There would be a lot of work. As the rod has spinning guides the spacing would be way different than a fly rod. When the guides are removed, the placemnt marks will be evident. The only real thing to get rid of the old guide placement marks would be to sand the blank and re-coat.
The spine when located would be reversed to when it was used as a spinning rod.
I think it best not to ruin a good spinning rod, especially an IMX. You are best to go to an actual fly rod built on a fly blank
You can pick up a good 9ft 10wt for around $250 upwards, e.g. a TFO Ticr . There may be some cheaper than that.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Just one question, being that the rod was custom made. Was it built on a spinning blank or a fly blank? I have seen a couple spinning rods built on fly blanks blanks when a longer rod was needed. If there is a rating on the rod, it would would be for line weight and not for lure weight and action.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Yes, the rod is a fly blank. It is f-1207, 7wt. but, i'm not sure about the top section. This rod was built and used for steelhead fishing back east. Louis Pevec was the builder, but is since deceased. We were fishing, back in the day, with Gary Loomis in Michigan and Ontario's steelhead streams when these blanks were first introduced, and right then and there I new I had to have one. I was fortunate enough to know Louis, who was a very good friend of Garys, so he would bring a bundle of differnt rods to try and we would in turn, show and let others try these to spread the word.I chose the ten foot instead of the more popular 13 foot for the versatility of using it for walleye fishing as well.
I guess I will keep it around just in case I do get a chance to fish steelhead back east with it again, as it was a killer steelhead rod.
Thanks to those of you that replied, and thanks for helping me to realize what I have.
Are IMX blanks still available for rod building?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM

I believe that G.Loomis has pulled their line of blanks all together, you are able to get completed rods but not blanks.