Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Default Fly Fishing

I haven't held a fly rod since the mid 90's and I would like to get at it again. Would this combo be a good re-start.....http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=20567
I'll just be fishing the trout ponds around the Hat for the most part so the 6WT would be sufficient I presume.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM

Yeah that would work, for sure, but I'm never a fan of "combos" (nor TFO ), but that is just my opinion... Is it a two or 4 piece? 4 piece is a little more "portable" which is usually a bit of an advantage...

It should do fine.

*EDIT* the line won't probably last all that long so try it for the season and consider getting something better for next...

I hate to say it as I'm not a big fan either but Amundson sells a combo at Costco.ca that is about the same quality and better price, but you get more "stuff" (and is a 4 piece)! http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Productg...t22211&topnav=

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-28-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

My go to rod is a 5wt TFO signature series with an amundsen TXS reel, nothing wrong with it. I've caught everything from 10 pound pike to 3 ounce trout on that thing. It only broke when I walked on it
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Cool

6wt is a reasonably heavy rod for stocked trout. It will work but it is bigger than you need.

Something in a 4wt or 5wt would be better suited to the little stockers. I don't see any 4 or 5wt combo's on the fishin hole website however..
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
6wt is a reasonably heavy rod for stocked trout. It will work but it is bigger than you need.

Something in a 4wt or 5wt would be better suited to the little stockers. I don't see any 4 or 5wt combo's on the fishin hole website however..
I'm gonna disagree with you there, it's always windy down here and a 6wt will definantly fare better than a 5wt. I actually built a 5wt for down here and using it the last two weeks was wishing every day for a 6wt, and our little trout ponds grow some darn nice trout.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 PM

Ya I would say go with a 5-6wt if you are going to be fishing Bullshead. The wind rips through that place and the fish grow to a decent size so you will want that power.

I would check out that Amundson combo. You can probably go check it out right in the Med. Hat costco and like mentioned before you get quite a bit more gear for the or less of a cost to you to start out with.

If you want to try an Amundson or TFO combo on Sunday come find me at Bullshead and you can have a rip at both. If I am not out in an Orange pontoon boat I will be on shore with it anchored near me.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Great, thanks for the offer. Sunday is opening day at Bullshead, think it'll be busy??
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
Great, thanks for the offer. Sunday is opening day at Bullshead, think it'll be busy??
hahahaha you must be a comedian.

Ya get there bright and early if you want a spot along the shore.

I am hoping we can get there before sun up and drag the toon and belly boat to a shore spot and fish for awhile until the crowds get to big. I would rather stay out of the water until it warms up a bit later in the day.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM

i have a 5wt tfo and its a hoot at bullshead. not a bad choice imo
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM

If you're around Calgary, I recommend stopping in at the TFO distribution shop behind blackfoot trail. They sell their discontinued rods for around $110-120. They have no name reels for around $80. I bought a 3 wt setup from them a couple years ago and have had no problems what-so-ever. It's worth a look.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM

Fair enough guys, wasn't considering the southern alberta WIND. Up here around edmonton there is rarely wind
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Fair enough guys, wasn't considering the southern alberta WIND. Up here around edmonton there is rarely wind

Jealous!!!

My other hobby is flying RC airplanes. Another one where wind is the enemy.