Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 PM

Default Broad head for a young bowhunter

My son's bow is set at just over 50lbs. We are looking for a broad head for him to shoot. I was thinking a fixed blade would be the best as that is all I use. Was thinking about giving the 85 gr montec g5 a try. Has anyone shot them on moose size critters?

Any other heads out there that would work and fly straight would be a help.

I still use my rocky mountain advantage heads, stocked up over ten years ago but starting to get low on stock so I want to start him out with something else.

Could look at the rage as they have some that look very similar the rocky heads. but they all are mechanical heads I believe.

Thanks for your in put TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 PM

I like the Muzzy fixed blades however I am not sure if they have an 85g. I have used both the 75 and 100 grain 3 blade with great results.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 PM

The Hades from Grim Reaper are good.

LC
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 PM

Montec 85grain. fool proof and easy to tune
Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Default broad head

My son is 13 and shoots a cut on impact style broadhead. Had great success on a bear when he was 12. You can find them for a fairly decent price at most places. We used a CXL product which was $26 for 3.

k
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 PM

Cannot go wrong with a brand new Montec. A good friend has several 300 class bulls and all pass thrus with arrows tipped with a montec.
But when my boys get there they will be shooting VPA 2 blades. Quiet. Good FOC and bombproof.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:02 AM

Got 30+ years in shooting nothing but 125gr N.A.P. Thunderheads pulling 65 lbs.
For the young guy and 50+lbs go with the 100gr. They have been making these for over 30 years so people must be using them. Killed every Alberta big game and never had a situation where I would blame my broadhead.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 AM

For low poundage bows and good penetration, I have found that a 2 blade traditional style arrow head works well. I keep the FOC at at least 15% and the arrow spine a bit high to keep all the energy behind the point should you hit a rib. I prefer arrows heavier to assist with penetration. No problem with deer sized animals.
Garry
Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks guys for your input will be doing some testing on a couple different heads to see which on works best out of his set up.

TEH

Old 08-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Default Wac Em

Took a friend's daughter out for bears this spring, and she killed in nice bear and I loaned her a set of 4 blade Wac'Em 100s. She shot them a few times and had 45lb draw weight . Tuned them and had zero change from Field tips and bear went 10 yards. They are available at Canadian Tire stores, ask for them, both you and your young hunter will not be disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160518_181330_edit.jpg (16.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Stumpslayer; 08-01-2016 at 05:17 PM. Reason: mis spelled words
Old 08-05-2016, 09:18 AM

Not that 52lbs is that light but one thing to consider when shooting low poundage bows is obviously penetration. Expendable's hinder penetration slightly so I would stick with a fixed blade. The second thing to consider is cutting surface over all, while big cutting diameter arrows and 4 blade broadheads are devastating again these things effect penetration.
A modest cutting diameter broadhead 1" - 1.25" three blade will probably me your best bet IMO. Also I would stick with a 100 grain broadhead.

As mentioned the Grim Reaper Hades, Wac'em 3 blade or even a ramcat would be my first to try.

I actually have some new trophy taker shuttle t locks I would sell if you would like to try them out too?
Old 08-08-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The Hades from Grim Reaper are good.

LC
Im trying these out this year.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 PM

Hi Thunder Elk, sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this. Unless you have already chosen a broadhead, I would suggest and highly recommend the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts.

Anything mechanical would be my last choice period - and even more so for a lower poundage bow.

The Stinger Buzzcuts are a cut on contact with a serrated edge - they are razor sharp and devastating. They are also 100% guaranteed, spin tested, and made in the US. No flashy packaging, no gimmicks - they just kill and kill fast. And they are reasonably priced too.

Of course, spin tested is good but proper alignment and now tuning are also important as I'm sure you know. I can hit the little white 4" circles on my Block target with these at 70 yards, repeatedly - just to give you an idea of how well they can shoot.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:33 PM

My advise is go to a good pro shop and get some good professional advise.

Draw weight is only one factor - you need a broadhead that makes sense in the entire context of your setup. Arrow length, arrow weight, draw length all factor into the kinetic energy you are producing.

This will all affect you choice in broadhead

I only shoot fixed and have always used Montec G5 - have them in both stainless and high carbon (I prefer the stainless). 100 gr

I broke my humerus this spring and may migrate into a newer and lighter draw weight next year when I can return to archery.

Not sure if I will stick with the Montect 3 blade setup - may consider moving to a two blade German Kinetic style like the proverbial 'silverflame' with a high FOC% to maximize penetration.

But will only make that determination when I have a bow and a new draw weight and even a (potentially) new draw length.....

All broadhead designs have advantages and disadvantages - its your overall setup which will help determine what is best in your context
Old 08-11-2016, 10:49 PM

We have gone with Wac'em 3 blade have not had a chance to have him shot them yet as he is been at camp ever since we picked them up. Will keep you post on how they fly and perform this fall.

Thanks again TEH

Old 08-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
We have gone with Wac'em 3 blade have not had a chance to have him shot them yet as he is been at camp ever since we picked them up. Will keep you post on how they fly and perform this fall.

Thanks again TEH
good choice can not go wrong with a fixed blade ... I have seen some mechanicals made for youth but fixed is way better for youth
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff