Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Draw length and weight?

Im really wanting to get into bow hunting but have very little experience with bows. I was wondering how do i determine my Draw length and weight? also any other advice or tips for bow hunting would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM

all i did was look up my draw length on the internet (you take your arm span and put into the calculator and it gives you your draw length). as for wieght whatever feels the most comfortable. if you have to work your way up to a higher weight!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=0
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM

for best results in draw lenght go to a an archery pro shop , have them measure you up properly !! then shoot every availble bow on the market and begin to narrow it down by how it feels in your hands !! If you do it right the first time it makes the learning experience that much more enjoyable !!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
for best results in draw lenght go to a an archery pro shop , have them measure you up properly !! then shoot every availble bow on the market and begin to narrow it down by how it feels in your hands !! If you do it right the first time it makes the learning experience that much more enjoyable !!
x2....this is the ONLY way to do it if you've never shot a bow before and want to do it right. Wingspan measurements are a bit tough, and fitting one perfectly with the proper form is important.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Hill top,
I was in your boots not that many months ago and am on the verge of buying my first bow it is very exciting.
Here is a link that explains much of the terminloigy very well: http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

I would echo what the others are saying, go to a shop and get measured there are a couple great ones in calgary (Calgary Archery Center and Jimbows are popular around here. They will let you draw a bow to get a feel for weight. Ask alot of questions, when you are at the shops and on here.

Good luck in your search!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Definatly some great advice there about being measured up.As far as draw weight, do as much as you feel comfortable with, think about the hunting senario's you could be in and have to draw your bow( twisted up, sitting, kneeling etc.) you should feel comfortable pulling your bow back quietly, and effectivally in any position. It's not a strength contest, and realistically only you get to see what your pulling.A typical male adult will pul between 50 - 70 #.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Default Again Thank you all

Great tips! Im heading into calgary within the next week or two soo im definitely going to stop in at an archery store and get measured up! Probably also get they guy annoyed with the million questions i have about bows! One more quick thing. ive used compounds a couple times, but played more with a recurve bow, how are recurve bows for hunting? Oh and I was wondering where these archery stores are located in calgary? All i know of is bass pro and wholesale..
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Check out the Calgary Archery Center. They are at 4855 47 Street SE, huge store with one of the best selections. They really know their stuff and can set you up right
Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTophunter View Post
Great tips! Im heading into calgary within the next week or two soo im definitely going to stop in at an archery store and get measured up! Probably also get they guy annoyed with the million questions i have about bows! One more quick thing. ive used compounds a couple times, but played more with a recurve bow, how are recurve bows for hunting? Oh and I was wondering where these archery stores are located in calgary? All i know of is bass pro and wholesale..
For best advice head to an archery pro shop, where archery is their main or only business. Try Calgary Archery Centre 4855 47th St, SE 403-255-6830, and/ or Jim- Bows Archery #1a- 4416 5th St, NE 403-250-7713.

Visit Bass Pro, too, but after you've got your feet wet at the archery shops. Good luck and welcome to the sport.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Default Locations

Calgary Archery Center is in the South-East part of the city a few blocks west of 52 Street on 50 ave then north for half a bolck. Jimbows is in the N.E. just off Edmonton trail, sorry I dont have exact addresses for either. Take your questions to Craig at CAC and if he is not busy, sometimes it gets a little crazy in ther, he will take the time to give you some great answers. Not too sure of Jimbows hours but CAC is open at 11 everyday except mondays.

I found the staff at Bass Pro lacking a little on knowlege, but a decent selection of bows, some good prices personally I would deal with an archery only shop because of the service.

Another site I would suggest is bowzone.ca there is some good info there as well!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Oh come on guys that wingspan method will get you within 2" no problem

Seriously, like blackmamba said pro-shop for sure. The wingspan method, much touted is also much maligned because it doesn't take body width properly into account and applies an arbitrary number. (ie, subtract 15")
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks that makes a little easier instead of trying to google map it when i don't know the names of the places . Yea ive found the people at bass pro have limited knowledge on a few topics, but yes great prices! Thanks Russ thats why i had to ask i didn't wanna measure up wrong and have some bad experiences or w.e
Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTophunter View Post
... Yea ive found the people at bass pro have limited knowledge on a few topics, but yes great prices! ...
Yes and no, one of the package bows I was looking at Bass Pro was 800 buck, pretty nice bow I thought, with pretty crappy accessories. Same bow at Calgary Archery Center with a nicer package, with arrows, a release and 3 range passes closer to 900. Better value at CAC in my opinion, dont be affraid to shop around, remember after sales service too!

Good Luck man if you are heading to the Archery Center in the middle of the week let me know and we could meet up, if my bow is set up and ready I could let you have a go with it!

Good Luck
Old 03-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Yes and no, one of the package bows I was looking at Bass Pro was 800 buck, pretty nice bow I thought, with pretty crappy accessories. Same bow at Calgary Archery Center with a nicer package, with arrows, a release and 3 range passes closer to 900. Better value at CAC in my opinion, dont be affraid to shop around, remember after sales service too!

Good Luck man if you are heading to the Archery Center in the middle of the week let me know and we could meet up, if my bow is set up and ready I could let you have a go with it!

Good Luck
Yeaa i guess i should have said great prices on clothing and hunting accessories, thats what i was more less meaning. Im definitely going to stop in at the archery center! i was heading in this weekend, but i got convinced to build my sisters playground set haha, so i next few weeks ill be in to get measured up and start looking at some set ups! Thank you for the invite to shoot your bow! When i get everything all said and done, we might have to go shoot some targets.