Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Default Archery Antelope Decoy Wanted...

I've been looking to buy either a folding Mel Dutton Decoy, or a Flambeau CommAndelope decoy. I will pay top $$$ for one of these if someone has one they'll part with.

As Well...

Has anyone used a Montana Antelope decoy. The only feedback I have on the Montana decoy was from one fellow. He did not like it because it was unstable when windy, and said there was something about the way it reflected light that the goats didn't like. Has anyone here used them successfully ?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 PM

I found this one for you but you would have to have a friend in the US that the seller could send it to because he will only ship in the US.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1705074...sort=BestMatch
Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 AM

Let me know if you boys are bidding on this decoy. If not I will try and snag it up.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I found this one for you but you would have to have a friend in the US that the seller could send it to because he will only ship in the US.

google montana shipping outlet. Its a warehouse right on the border that you can ship packages to and drive down and pick it up. I think they only charge a few bucks per package. If your in the southern part of the province or know somebody down here it works quite well.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 AM

I borrowed a Flambeau decoy for my trip last fall. It sucked in the wind ,I had to put a Big Rock up in the body cavity to keep it from blowing over and it was cumbersome to handle. Although very effective.I had a Buck come in to it and it blew over on its side but he still tried to get it to get up and fight, It was hilarious and of course the camera was not running but we all had a good laugh.
I think a 2D Decoy is in order for sure and would be easier to travel with across the prairie.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:00 AM

I used a Montana decoy and had great success. Decoyed over a dozen bucks with it.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post

I already was watching that one, and was waiting for a reply to see if something could be worked out... Might have a go on it...
Old 07-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Let me know if you boys are bidding on this decoy. If not I will try and snag it up.
Thanks for the consideration... I've got it worked out to bid, so now I'll see if there's someone out there who wants it more, or has deeper pockets...
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Consider making your own decoy.

I used 3/8 ply, Taxidermy eye, hobby paints, window screen, 4 spring loaded hinges, one wing nut and bolt for the foldable horn, strap for carrying, and two pieces of steel tubing (one fits into the other), a furniture screw foot for controling the tension between the two pieces of pipe,welded on a kick plate with two spikes.

This support system allows for sturdy kicking of the spikes into rock hard ground, and allows the decoy to pivot, so you can follow the antelope as it circles around you.

First generation model made 15 years ago.

Last edited by walking buffalo; 07-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I borrowed a Flambeau decoy for my trip last fall. It sucked in the wind ,I had to put a Big Rock up in the body cavity to keep it from blowing over and it was cumbersome to handle. Although very effective.I had a Buck come in to it and it blew over on its side but he still tried to get it to get up and fight, It was hilarious and of course the camera was not running but we all had a good laugh.
I think a 2D Decoy is in order for sure and would be easier to travel with across the prairie.
with the price of gas for the trip yo umay as well buy one new in town or have it delivered
Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
with the price of gas for the trip yo umay as well buy one new in town or have it delivered
I dont get it ??
Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Then again, i guess they are discontinued as of last summer.....

hmmm
Old 07-02-2010, 09:04 PM

wonder how hard it would be to make one out of fibreglass and resin, or if tha would be too heavy????