Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM

Default 2014 Canadian Olympic Team

So the list of 47 invitees is out. Mostly what I expected, a few surprises. Other thoughts? Lets start on forwards.

Forwards: Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Perry, Giroux, Stamkos, Bergeron, Marchand, Eric staal, Tavares, Richards, Neal, and Hall

Pick 13.

It's hard, Canada could make two teams to compete for medals.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Logan Couture (San Jose) Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh) Jordan Eberle (Edmonton)Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim) Claude Giroux (Philadelphia)Brad Marchand (Boston) James Neal (Pittsburgh) Corey Perry (Anaheim) Mike Richards (Los Angeles) Patrick Sharp (Chicago) Eric Staal (Carolina) Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay) John Tavares (NY Islanders)

In no particular order of course.

Last edited by pottymouth; 07-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Big ice surface.

Canada may be able to make 2 teams, but both teams would be in tough.

Need speed and goaltending to compete.

Not sure Canada's grit will translate into Gold.

Not sure BobbyLu, Crawford, Price or Smith (Holtby? no chance) has the stones to steal a game...Not sure Dion, Alzner, Boomer can deal with outside speed....so we're gonna have to rely on scoring.

We have flashes of youth/speed on the front end, but too many middle aged names to get any level of comfort...St Louis, Neal, Lucic...grit and tenacity over speed.

Thinking USA will go deeper (goalies will steal games...Anderson, Quick, Miller...WOW) but will be rooting for Canada until the bitter end!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Big ice surface.

Canada may be able to make 2 teams, but both teams would be in tough.

Need speed and goaltending to compete.

Not sure Canada's grit will translate into Gold.

Not sure BobbyLu, Crawford, Price or Smith (Holtby? no chance) has the stones to steal a game...Not sure Dion, Alzner, Boomer can deal with outside speed....so we're gonna have to rely on scoring.

We have flashes of youth/speed on the front end, but too many middle aged names to get any level of comfort...St Louis, Neal, Lucic...grit and tenacity over speed.

Thinking USA will go deeper (goalies will steal games...Anderson, Quick, Miller...WOW) but will be rooting for Canada until the bitter end!
Dion alzner boomer nowhere close to making the team. Goal does worry me though
Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 PM

Will be a crazy good team, not sure why "Greasy Lou" got an invite hopefully its just formality, I think I'd have to barf if he were to actually make the team, he flops around like a wounded seal lion, very hard to watch.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Dion alzner boomer nowhere close to making the team. Goal does worry me though
Dions best years are behind him and they weren't that good, he doesn't even dish it out anymore, probably invited because cuts will be made and they already know he will be one of the cuts and leafs fans get some rep at trainning camp.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 PM

Goalies I like Smith, Lou (starter) and Holtby( so under rated)

But they will put Crawford in net, and Canada will be playing for the bronze..
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Logan Couture (San Jose) Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh) Jordan Eberle (Edmonton)Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim) Claude Giroux (Philadelphia)Brad Marchand (Boston) James Neal (Pittsburgh) Corey Perry (Anaheim) Mike Richards (Los Angeles) Patrick Sharp (Chicago) Eric Staal (Carolina) Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay) John Tavares (NY Islanders)

In no particular order of course.
Hall will make the team before Eberle does
Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post

X2!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 PM

Getzlaf, Perry, Bergeron, St Louis, Stamkos, Tavares, Lucic, Toews, Sharp, Couture, Duschene, Crosby, Kunitz
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 PM

Price and Crawford will battle it out for who gets the job between the pipes.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 PM

And here's hoping Lucic gets a spot on that team. Speed isn't everything.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
And here's hoping Lucic gets a spot on that team. Speed isn't everything.
He will be on the team
Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
You guys put to much stock in a guy that skates with his head up his azz all game. That kids career will be short. Eberle is twice the player Hall is. Eberle is a smart two way, complete player.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
He will be on the team
Umm. I disagree. While clutch by times in the grind of the NHL playoffs, he's still slow. A quick tourney on international ice against the best in the world is pretty much as anti Lucic as it gets.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
He will be on the team
A gorilla against the fastest players in the world, on a big surface? I don't think so.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
You guys put to much stock in a guy that skates with his head up his azz all game. That kids career will be short. Eberle is twice the player Hall is. Eberle is a smart two way, complete player.
Love 'em both, but Hall will have the better chance of making the team. Faster, more aggressive player who is finally putting some meat on his bones. Ebs is sneaky and proven clutch, but Hall is impact, big and fast.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Will be a crazy good team, not sure why "Greasy Lou" got an invite hopefully its just formality, I think I'd have to barf if he were to actually make the team, he flops around like a wounded seal lion, very hard to watch.
Good point, not like the "wounded seal lion" played 5 games last Olympics with 5 wins, 1 shutout, .927 SV% and 1.75 GAA....... Crawford has NEVER played internationally and pretty sure Chicago helped his last years stats a little bit, Holtby is 23 let me know the last time a Canadian Olympic starting goalie was that young, Price was average at best for four games and then benched for Montreal last playoffs and Smith is just as hot and cold. Canada is not the goalie mill it used to be. We can no longer rely on the QMJHL to just send us top goalie after top goalie. I still however would not hesitate to pin the starting job on a guy who had one of his best seasons last year despite the goalie mess that was Vancouver. Been there done that, handled it with class and would love nothing better than to show up Schneider who will be sporting American colors. If you have a better option in net I am all ears. I guess the first 3 months of the season will determine that anyways.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Umm. I disagree. While clutch by times in the grind of the NHL playoffs, he's still slow. A quick tourney on international ice against the best in the world is pretty much as anti Lucic as it gets.
He will be playing with lots of speed guys, I can't think of a better guy to have in and around and in front of the net, from what I've seen of him he can really motivate a team as well, remember that game against TO it was 4 or 5 nothing for TO and Lucic went over to his bench and had a little talk with the boys shortly thereafter Boston was in the lead, impressive.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
He will be playing with lots of speed guys, I can't think of a better guy to have in and around and in front of the net, from what I've seen of him he can really motivate a team as well, remember that game against TO it was 4 or 5 nothing for TO and Lucic went over to his bench and had a little talk with the boys shortly thereafter Boston was in the lead, impressive.
Don't get me wrong, BP. I'm a fan of the beast, but given the style of play, the local and IOC officiating he would be the ultimate wild card on the team next to Greasy Sue being named #1 in the cage.........
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 AM

That's a good start boys
Lets try the D now. Pick 8

Mine: Doughty, Subban, Pietrangelo, Boyle, Keith, Seabrook, Weber, Letang

Weber, Letang, and Boyle could still change. Give me a month of NHL season and let me GM some more lmao
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 AM

Towes, Crosby, Taveres, Stampkos, Nash, Bergeron, Giroux, Getzlaf, Perry, Hall, Staal, Thornton, and yuck Marchand.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 AM

Default Hall for sure

Taylor Hall will make the team. Dont agree with a few picks like Richards and MArchand. Sam Gagner would be a better player. Just my opinion
Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, BP. I'm a fan of the beast, but given the style of play, the local and IOC officiating he would be the ultimate wild card on the team next to Greasy Sue being named #1 in the cage.........
If Greasy LOu gets in its because he's greasing more than just his hair with that stuff
Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
A gorilla against the fastest players in the world, on a big surface? I don't think so.
What about the corners, the physical and the Canadian cycling game? I like the guy as long as he's disciplined. Make the other team rush passes and keep their head up all the time.....yeah....but no stupid penalties.

Luongo is so unpredictable and he gives me heart attacks but he's got the experience. Price I like but my confidence in him dropped during the playoffs. I don't see Crawford as ready for Olympic play and I don't think that he'll be a starter......even though he's from my hometown (bias aside).

Olympic hockey to go with the world Juniors.....What a great hockey winter this is going to be!!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Top 10 in scoring last year, tsn had him rated as the #2 LW back in April I believe
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 AM

It's such a tricky thing to pick.

Easy to name the stars, but at the end of the day it's 4 lines with 4 centers, 4 RW/LW with an extra. As always, certain guys who should be no-brainers to the average hockey fan miss out because there's 3 guys better suited to the position/team theme than they are. Most do not understand this.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
If Greasy LOu gets in its because he's greasing more than just his hair with that stuff
Probably how he got his salmon trip for free from, Dave, eh?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Top 10 in scoring last year, tsn had him rated as the #2 LW back in April I believe
Didn't TSN also have the oilers placing 3rd overall before the season started last year, those guys are brilliant
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Probably how he got his salmon trip for free from, Dave, eh?
Ya he slid in the back door alright...