Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
You guys put to much stock in a guy that skates with his head up his azz all game. That kids career will be short. Eberle is twice the player Hall is. Eberle is a smart two way, complete player.
Eberle over Hall for sure, he has scored some big time goals playing internationally.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Ya he slid in the back door alright...
Zing
Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Eberle over Hall for sure, he has scored some big time goals playing internationally.
Absolutely!

I'd love to see him there, but ultimately, size and speed will keep him off the squad.

No mentions of Iggy yet?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Absolutely!

I'd love to see him there, but ultimately, size and speed will keep him off the squad.

No mentions of Iggy yet?
Who ?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
It's such a tricky thing to pick.

Easy to name the stars, but at the end of the day it's 4 lines with 4 centers, 4 RW/LW with an extra. As always, certain guys who should be no-brainers to the average hockey fan miss out because there's 3 guys better suited to the position/team theme than they are. Most do not understand this.
Thank you! So Toews, Bergeron, Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Eric and Jordan Staal, Richards, Carter, Thornton, Couture, Getzlaf, Duchene, Tavares sounds like not a bad fwd group eh (well one for the 13th and minus the other)??? Oh ya that's right they are all natural centers! Perry, Eberle and St. Louis, that's it that got invited for RW. Now I am not saying some of those guys are not going to shift to the wing but that is a different game. There are some that can adapt to playing the wall easier than others, especially on international ice. On paper it is easy to say how did they cut him he is better than so and so!? Well there was 4 other guys who are better at center and he is not suited to play wing that's why!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Who ?
BP is just bitter that one Flame was invited total, out of FIVE different countries Oly tryout camps.....Romo the back up was invited with 7 other goalies to the Fins camp

I'm betting Hall makes the squad
Old 07-23-2013, 02:23 AM

With the big ice and international reffing , lucic and Thornton are both too slow. The coaches wil have a tough time figuring this team out. Goaltending is our weak point for sure , hope price plays his arse off, we will have the best d of all the teams.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM

In my mind, big joe over Lucic if push comes to shove. They may take a big man, but hoping its not two.

Both have their place, but at least joe has hands.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Absolutely!

No mentions of Iggy yet?
Even as a northerner iggy has more than done his share and hockey Canada owes him lots. His time has passed but his contributions have been bountiful.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Even as a northerner iggy has more than done his share and hockey Canada owes him lots. His time has passed but his contributions have been bountiful.
Hockey Canada doesn't owe him a thing. Iggy is to slow to warrant an invite. International ice surface gents. Speed is the key to this tourney.

Biggest omissions in my book are Evander Kane, Jamie Benn, and Cam Ward
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Wasn't saying iggy is warranted a invite because of the past, because he's not. But he has done a lot. Doesn't mean he hasn't because he wanted to win. My .02
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Benn...grit with speed.
Ward...injured LY. Better than most invited.

I agree....Kane, not so much. Good player, but way down the list with this depth.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Banned

I think the two names only briefly mentioned here that I would want in camp in cam ward, who singlehandedly won a Stanley cup on a poor team and has toiled for that even poorer team since.....and rick nash. look at that guys numbers....again getting lost in a sea of crap on a bad team in a bad market for so long.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Love Rick Nash, love what he did in 2010. Took the lesser role total team player. Just hasn't shown the desire to rise above the mediocrity surrounding him in Columbus when there. New York may change my mind.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Love Rick Nash, love what he did in 2010. Took the lesser role total team player. Just hasn't shown the desire to rise above the mediocrity surrounding him in Columbus when there. New York may change my mind.
seriously.??????...look at his numbers in Columbus. he was with the league leaders basically all alone. what would he have produced with some help? I think he stayed far too long, and possibly even he has forgotten how good he was. he is young enough to elevate yet though if he wants it.

I say the same about cam ward.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
If Greasy LOu gets in its because he's greasing more than just his hair with that stuff
Hes arguably the best Canadian goalie around. How do you come to any intelligent conclusion that he shouldn't be on the team?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Hes arguably the best Canadian goalie around. How do you come to any intelligent conclusion that he shouldn't be on the team?
Yup. Bobby Lu gets a bad rap but he's one of Canada's best goalie currently
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
because he fails when the pressure is on. great numbers for the regular season, but a no show for the playoffs. he is hockeys equivalent to alex rodriguez.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM

Yeah Luongo failed miserably last Olympics. What are they thinking inviting him back?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
BP is just bitter that one Flame was invited total, out of FIVE different countries Oly tryout camps.....Romo the back up was invited with 7 other goalies to the Fins camp

I'm betting Hall makes the squad
Barring any significant injuries. I'll take that. Bet.

Bobby Lou is Canada's goalie if they want a chance. Holtby is so under rated, I hope he gets a chance. Anything after those two, your looking at an epic fail. The. U.s has the goalies this year... there's gonna be a bunch of you crying when the Canadians don't medal, and you'll realize why crawford shouldn't have been even mentioned , nevermind started.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Didn't TSN also have the oilers placing 3rd overall before the season started last year, those guys are brilliant
Watched "That's Hockey" this morning and I was suprised they said Hall was possible/likely to make the team. He's not often thought of as that level of player yet, even by me, and I'm a Oiler fan.

But then I realized that he came in 9th in league scoring, ahead of many forwards thought to be on the team automatically. The only left winger in the League with more points than Hall gets to play wth Crosby every game. Part of the problem is that he hasn't had the playoff time to spotlight his talent. Not his fault though. No one would know about Couture from his regulr season (40th in points). And Hall's speed on the big ice? He'll go around a lot of D men. So maybe.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Yeah Luongo failed miserably last Olympics. What are they thinking inviting him back?
you don't remember the goal that sent the gold medal game to OT? I shudder thinking about it. he tried hard to fail, but there was enough talent up front. kinda like Crawford....he is fresh off a Stanley cup victory....but only because of the guys in front of him. crawford singlehandedly lost a game in the finals with that big hole in his glove. that's the kind of netminder luongo is.....caving under pressure. about the only argument in favor of greasy lou, is that there isn't much else to choose from. I guess he is the tallest midget right now.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
you don't remember the goal that sent the gold medal game to OT? I shudder thinking about it. he tried hard to fail, but there was enough talent up front. kinda like Crawford....he is fresh off a Stanley cup victory....but only because of the guys in front of him. crawford singlehandedly lost a game in the finals with that big hole in his glove. that's the kind of netminder luongo is.....caving under pressure. about the only argument in favor of greasy lou, is that there isn't much else to choose from. I guess he is the tallest midget right now.
And the names of goalies who have won Olympic gold medals or Stanley Cups without superior talent in front of them would be???????????
Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
And the names of goalies who have won Olympic gold medals or Stanley Cups without superior talent in front of them would be???????????
already said that cam ward is the biggest example. dominic hasek did it in the Olympics too. a red hot goaltender can steal games by himself.....giguere made two runs with Anaheim...rewarded for it once. hextall in 87 is another great example....pretty rare for the conn smythe to go to the losing team. kiprusoff came oh so close as did roloson a year later. great goaltending can elevate mediocre teams.... too bad that poor goaltending can sewer great teams too.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Well the Luongo debate about MAKING the team is useless, there is 3 spots, he's got one of them, end of story. Too much experience and a pretty good showing last go to not keep him. If you asked any other country if they would take Luongo as a third string for the Olympics do you think many would say no? Not that you have to like it but he will be there, debate the number one starting spot for sure however. As for the other spots it's going to be a crap shoot. Cam Ward and MAF are both two goalies that could easily play lights out come Oct-Dec and make their way on despite no invite and both have stanley cup rings and lots of international games. MAF has had a bit of a rough go in the playoffs but there is arguments to be made against all the others in the hot/cold, too young, glove has a permanent hole in it, no international experience etc. Canada will not have the best goaltending (which is nice to have a goalie to steal a game) but will have one of the most complete teams this year. Going to be interesting to see where Vegas draws the lines on this one, USA, Russia and about 2 others could just as easily see gold. Can't wait!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Olympics - Oh yeah, that time when all the Canadian Crosby haters suddenly enjoy having him on their team

Anyways...

Goaltending makes me nervous. We have all the skill, speed, and grit on D to play with anyone. It's whether we get the backup in net. Crawford's old goalie coach is now headed to Montreal to work with Price. My bet is that he makes the trip to Russia with these two goalies dueling it out for starter, with Bobby on as the third.

Anyone else notice Fleury play himself out of an invite to camp this year!

Goaltending - what used to be one of Canada's strengths and cornerstones, now is our weakness. After the last few years of the world juniors, I don't see any relief on the way.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster83 View Post
Well the Luongo debate about MAKING the team is useless, there is 3 spots, he's got one of them, end of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Olympics - Oh yeah, that time when all the Canadian Crosby haters suddenly enjoy having him on their team

Anyways...

Goaltending makes me nervous. We have all the skill, speed, and grit on D to play with anyone. It's whether we get the backup in net. Crawford's old goalie coach is now headed to Montreal to work with Price. My bet is that he makes the trip to Russia with these two goalies dueling it out for starter, with Bobby on as the third.

Anyone else notice Fleury play himself out of an invite to camp this year!

Goaltending - what used to be one of Canada's strengths and cornerstones, now is our weakness. After the last few years of the world juniors, I don't see any relief on the way.
to both posts.....sad but true.....
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM

We're gonna outshoot teams 40-15 and lose 2-1. Book it.

Russia is in the same boat. Mediocre goaltending, lotsa big names BUT getting long in the tooth...plus they are a "look at me" team, with hot dogs like Yak and Ovi who will only pass when it comes to paying the cheque.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Logan Couture (San Jose) Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh) Jordan Eberle (Edmonton)Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim) Claude Giroux (Philadelphia)Brad Marchand (Boston) James Neal (Pittsburgh) Corey Perry (Anaheim) Mike Richards (Los Angeles) Patrick Sharp (Chicago) Eric Staal (Carolina) Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay) John Tavares (NY Islanders)

In no particular order of course.
I can't anyone seriously that doesn't have Jonathon Toews on the team. He is a guarantee on this team.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM

Goal is indeed a concern. So invitees are Luongo, Price, Smith, Holtby and of course Crawford. Want a shock? Devan Dubnyk had better numbers than all of them except Crawford this last regular season. Better goals against, better save percentage... and with a crappy team.

Now I'm not saying Dub should be on the team, but it makes you wonder how in the heck some of the others were selected. Reimer and Emery had better years too.

Ward and Fleury now seem to be dogs according to everyone. Even THEY had better years than Price. And what has Price ever won? Does he have incriminating pictures of Yzerman or something? ;