Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Rage 2.3" 2 blade

Don't know everything about hunting so i need help! Who uses rage and why? What do you think about rage in general?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 PM

Default been pretty faithfull with them, but...

Man, I have shot them a lot. for years! had some really impressive results that have completely won me over. Until this fall, I had my first WTF moment. I made a great shot on an elk with 2 guys watching right with me. perfect broadside alfalfa field, no obstructions. 50 yards. about 3" behind the shoulder, and dead centre up and down. I still do not know what happened, but the arrow appeard to be almost full length sticking out of the entrance side. I don't know if it hit a rib dead centre and had hide ball up in the slip cam? or what? but it simply hung right up and did not penetrate. it also didn't come out? never recovered the arrow, and my brother watched him for almost half a mile with binos hold the arrow the entire time. Next to no blood, and we tracked a half mile through the trees with still no arrow, and the small amount of blood quit. tough break. But like I said, I have had awesome great results up until now. However, I am going to switch to a fixed head that I can come to terms with. come this spring I will be doing some homework!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 PM

There sharp and fly good just hate every time u pull one outa the quiver theres a blade open theres allways a chance u need a quick follow up shot i switched to grimms
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM

To answer your question now I guess.lol.
I really like the cut it makes. I love the way they fly. They take next to no energy to open up because of the way they slip back and not over the top. I cant see them deflecting because of the way they open, and havn't experienced it. But They are still a mechanical, and It seems that eventually, with enough time, you can have a malfunction. Also if you choose to shoot these heads you need to be diligent in making sure it is closed. Not so hard sitting in a stand, but stalking, or chasing elk, I am constantly checking the broadhead.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 AM

biggest damaging broadhead I've ever used. MAssive slices. Used on moose and deer.
I like em.

the new shock collars solved the problem of rattling blades that deploy early
Old 12-06-2013, 06:17 AM

Personally I like a broad head to make a hole not a slit....no two blade broad heads for me.....three blades or more only.

LC
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 AM

I use the 2.3" heads now and the 2" heads before, they are deadly. Even on marginal shots. I hit a Mulie high and back, backed out for 4 hours affraid of the results of a poor shot placement, when we went to go look for him he had only gone 65yards before death. I had a doe last year duck the string at 15yrds from the stand. I hit her in the spine and the Rage made it almost all the way through the bone. Tough and effective, huge holes even with 2 blades. And yes the new blade collars prevent early blade deployment.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM

In my honest opinion Would look for a good fixed blade broad head..I have been using the mx3 for the last couple years and I can't see me changing...I just can't stand the thought of having one of the blades not open and deflect the arrow and wound the critter and not retrieve him...with a fixed blade you never have to worry about it not opening. But it on e again all comes down to your personal preferance
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

Rage can smd! Pieces of **** had on ball up on my bull elk at 35 yards penetrated 3" good thing I was fast enough and put. A montec through him after
Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 PM

I have only taken one animal with a rage. I used a three blade,I like the way they fly and the performance on game was good, but one blade catching on a piece of grass almost cost me a shot at an antelope. I was using a shock collar too which seemed to help the blades stay closed but definitely not a sure thing.So I have mixed feelings about rage.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 PM

..Consensus here is when they work they work awesome...however when they fail they fail miserably...in the years that they have been around..the shooters that use them believe in them and are very confident with them...until they see a fail...

I would say 50/50 here...

JMHO
Neil
Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM

I used montec and they are great. But so many people say they dont make a good blood trail(sometimes no blood trail). I have also been told higher pound bow plus heavier arrows makes a rage even beter. Dont know if that is true.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Ya the consenious of late is the faster bows of today with the lower profile heads dont leave much of a blood trail if hit in the upper two thirds of the animal in the vitals ...IMHO likely due to massive and quick internal bleeding...

I use the 125gr G5 Stikers they have a 1 1/8 cut width...Same heads in lower vitals will leave an impressive bloodtrail, however I have had several experiances where blood trail was sparce to say the least...thankfully I usually watch them go down quick...but regardless would like to see more blood

This year I am going to try the G5 Magnums which have a Massive 1-1/2" cutting diameter for a fixed head...if they will fly...

With the Rage I am thinking the higher pound bows and heavy arrows ensures blades will open with deeper penertration and/or passthru for best results...

JMHO
Neil