Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Banned

It's a myth...

An old wives tale...

One of them urban legens you hear about...

The moon landing....

Everyone knows it was filmed behind a studio in a backlot in Hollywood....

As for the common cold...

The best cure is not to catch it in the first place.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Here's what I do .. Cup of neo citron ,followed by a couple of Contact C followed by a double shot of Buckley's then a generous smear of Vicks vapo rup on back and chest and under the nose. Then put on a warm T shirt you can sacrifice then go to bed. You sleep like a baby and that is good, you sweat it out from the vicks too which can't hurt .
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
So much crap pseudoscience in this thread!

Colds are caused by a virus. The only way to counteract a virus is by the body's immune system. To help ones immune system perform optimally, one needs rest and nutrition.

With regard to pasteurization, it was invented to kill bacterial pathogens.

By the way, Bacteria are different than virus'. Bacteria are basically living animals, where as virus' are in a nebulous zone regarding the word "living" but are dangerous as their method of infection is designed to spread bits of their specific genetic code. Bacteria can replicate on their own, but virus' need to replicate inside a host cell)

Vaccines work to sensitize the body to virus', primarily, so that a quick response to exposure is enabled. (there are some vaccines for bacterial pathogens, but they are a subset)

Anti-biotics only work on bacterial pathogens, so taking anti-biotics for a viral infection will do no good in treating that infection at all.

Cold-Fx, oil of oregano, echinacea, etc. do none of the above, and at best perform only in the realm of being additional food. (that's what they're classified as, and regulated as, if you look at the fine print on the boxes, rather than any pharmaceutical preparation)

And a shot of whiskey is always a good idea, just because!
That is in a nutshell, good info. Scientific evidence behind taking supplemental Zinc and Vitamin C before you get sick as a supplement. Does not help if you take it after contracting the virus.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
And a shot of whiskey is always a good idea, just because!
Most of your scientifical word wizardry was over my head, but I couldn't help but notice this little nugget of truth

Sleep, healthy food, activity, fresh air and a big bottle of Gibson's finest -- those are my secrets
Old 12-16-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Here's what I do .. Cup of neo citron ,followed by a couple of Contact C followed by a double shot of Buckley's then a generous smear of Vicks vapo rup on back and chest and under the nose. Then put on a warm T shirt you can sacrifice then go to bed. You sleep like a baby and that is good, you sweat it out from the vicks too which can't hurt .
Best advise in this thread. (plus a glass of booze)
Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 PM

well I'm past the sore throat and on to the unstopable cough with some odd flavour'd green stuff moving up. Lots of hydration and Vit C. FS
Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 AM

Don't wait too long if persistent cough & sore chest. Turns out I have pnuemonia. 2nd time in 3 yrs. Have anti biotics with brutal side effects & no idea if they will work. Doc couldn't hear anything but x rays showed it. At least I have a thorough doctor. Take care & wash your hands lots. I used to think it was funny to see people wearing masks in airports. I wish I was that smart.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 AM

salt solution use a dropper to put down each nostril.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
We can send a man to the moon but can't stop a common cold. Any old tried and true secrets so one doesn't feel so miserable?
Chicken soup.... 10 million jewish moms...all of whom have doctors for sons...can't be wrong.

Actually... chicken soup has been proven to help reduce the length of time you are miserable.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Best advise in this thread. (plus a glass of booze)
Worst advice on this thread..... booze impairs your imume response system.

I do nothing for a cold aside from hot soup some vitamin c and plain a bit of saline water for nasal spray.

Does that work better than pills potions lotions and snake oil?
Nope.
But... works just as well and I don't feel dopey from all the drugs and I'm not hurting myself with all those drugs.

I also seem to get less colds now ...since I started doing that.

In fact... haven't had one since spring 2011.