Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Default Labourer Jobs

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a job for a 21 year old that wants to work right now rather than go to school to finish his Engineering deg ? He has his 1st year Mec Eng. He's NOT scared of work!! He lives here in Calgary and would go to a camp job if need be as well.

Thanks,
Gabby
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM

If you have any oilfield tickets you could try any drilling company, they may be looking. If your a hard worker you will advance quickly...also try some pipeline companies
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM

Start by calling the drilling contractors and service companies. Keep pounding the streets and he will find work somewhere. Good luck
Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Banned

My Daughter's boyfriend is on the last year of his engineering degree. For the past two years he's worked for Worley Parsons in his chosen field at the same time as finishing his education. They have accommodated him with working hours that allow him to get his degree......more or less grooming him for his eventual career with them. He's worked his butt off between work, study and farming during the summer but in the end he's got it made. Maybe a work/education combination would be something to think about.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone's input !!

Gabby.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM

What happened............... from an ambition of being an Engineer to wanting to Labour for the rest of his life ? Nothing wrong with labour work it's just quite a drastic change in direction.

I would encourage him to stay in school and get his degree.

Dog_River
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Banned

Default I beg of you to reconsider!!!

Stay in school. Won't be long before you'll need a CET designation just to get a City job.

Labouring.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
What happened............... from an ambition of being an Engineer to wanting to Labour for the rest of his life ? Nothing wrong with labour work it's just quite a drastic change in direction.

I would encourage him to stay in school and get his degree.

Dog_River
For me it was that my parents wanted me to get a degree not me. School wasn't hard, I just didn't like many things about it. "Aren't we all learned?"
Anyway I quit to work in the patch and have done okay, but yes the schooling I do have did help me advance somewhat and gave me some of the analytical thinking etc to do well.