Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM

Default Two RCMP officers injured in central Alberta

Quote:
EDMONTON – Global News is at the scene of a developing situation east of Edmonton.

RCMP say two RCMP officers were injured Monday evening near Vegreville.

They say the situation at a rural property in the area is very dangerous at this time.

“Three suspects who police believe to be armed and dangerous are at large,” RCMP say in a release, adding that police have yet to contain the scene.

RCMP have told a Global News crew near Tofield that they have blocked off Range Road 192 from Township Road 522 to 530.

Our crew at the scene has spotted one ambulance leaving the scene with its lights on, and an RCMP cruiser leaving with an individual in the back seat.

We’ll have more information as it becomes available.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1065967/tw...ntral-alberta/

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Banned

Not good! Wonder what happened exactly
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 PM

Global just said one officer shot and one run over.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Banned

I missed this on the news... hope they recover.

Funny...you sort of expect it in the city once in awhile but lately it seems to be happening in rural settings.

Makes ya wonder... are the baddys setting up shop in small towns now to stay under the radar?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 PM

Just watching global now. They said the RCMP are going to give an update any time now.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Banned

Isn't that the same area where an AO member reported the home invasion that wasn't reported on the news? I wonder if it's the same guys as it seemed to me that their activities were getting more and more brazen. In fact, I think that I commented on that thread that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that their activities didn't escalate to murder. I hope the RCMP members are okay!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Isn't that the same area where an AO member reported the home invasion that wasn't reported on the news? I wonder if it's the same guys as it seemed to me that their activities were getting more and more brazen. In fact, I think that I commented on that thread that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that their activities didn't escalate to murder. I hope the RCMP members are okay!
Nope not the same area.
Not sure about the vegerville connection. But I have posted on here in the past about a farmer who told me he had a rifle levelled at him by some local young yahoos. Would be within yelling distance of the rr given in the details.

Those young prics ruined some great hunting territory.
I hope it's them and they get their end result.
As for the Mounties wounded. Hope they recover quick.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Banned

From the Edmonton Journal.

One RCMP officer was shot, another was run over by a vehicle and a manhunt is on for three armed and dangerous suspects after a confrontation on a rural property near Vegreville Monday evening.

The officers were injured during the “execution of their duties,” at the property east of Edmonton, RCMP said in a news release late Monday.

The officer who was shot and wounded by a suspect has been treated for his injuries and is in stable condition, RCMP said.

The second officer suffered “more serious injuries after he was reportedly run over by a vehicle” and was being treated in an Edmonton hospital Monday night.

“The situation at the rural property near Vegreville is very dangerous at this time. Three suspects who police believe to be armed and dangerous are at large,” RCMP said.

The names of the officers involved in the incident won’t be released by RCMP at this time.

Officers are at the scene where two officers were injured, but it hasn’t yet been contained, RCMP said.

Police cruisers blocked the intersection of Range Road 192 and Township 522, an isolated and sparsely populated area north of Tofield.

Officers stopped passing vehicles and sent media who had congregated to another range road.

“We need to contain the scene,” one officer said.

A helicopter circled overhead, and other RCMP vehicles could be seen driving down the empty, snowy roads.

Josee Valiquette earlier told the Journal she could release few details as the incident was still developing.

Chief Supt. Randy McInnis is set to speak to reporters in Vegreville late Monday night about the unfolding situation.

This is at least the third major shooting in Alberta involving RCMP officers in roughly nine years.

On Feb. 7, 2012, Constables Sheldon Shah and Sidney Gaudette were wounded when a gunfight erupted as the officers attempted to execute a warrant for a .45-calibre handgun at a home on a rural property southeast of Killam.

Sawyer Robison, 28, is charged with attempted murder in connection with the shootings.

On March 3, 2005, RCMP officers Brock Myrol, Peter Schiemann, Leo Johnston and Anthony Gordon were gunned down by James Roszko on his property near Mayerthorpe during an ongoing investigation into stolen vehicles and a marijuana operation.

Roszko, 46, sneaked onto the property under cover of night and ambushed the officers, then killed himself.

jpruden@edmontonjournal.com

Twitter.com/jana_pruden

mibrahim@edmontonjournal.com
Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 AM

Just down the road from our house. A domestic dispute started it. One officer shot , one ran over by a truck. Three armed suspects on the loose, roadblock just down the road, they are searching everywhere... going to be a long night. Prayers sent out to the officers and all involved
Hope they catch them..

Scary part is a truck was parked late outside a friends just down the road and sat their for over an hour, we think this is the truck they are looking for..
Old 01-07-2014, 12:59 AM

Speedy recovery of the Officers involved.

Lets hope they catch the criminals quickly.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Staring at my Rack View Post
Just down the road from our house. A domestic dispute started it. One officer shot , one ran over by a truck. Three armed suspects on the loose, roadblock just down the road, they are searching everywhere... going to be a long night. Prayers sent out to the officers and all involved
Hope they catch them..

Scary part is a truck was parked late outside a friends just down the road and sat their for over an hour, we think this is the truck they are looking for..
Stay safe...hope for a quick end and my prayers go out to the officers for a speedy recovery,keep your doors locked and a phone handy!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 AM

Two Mounties have been injured in a violent encounter at a rural property near Vegreville, east of Edmonton, Monday night.

RCMP confirmed one officer was shot and another was run over by a vehicle.

The former officer is said to be in stable condition. The latter was more seriously hurt in the incident, police say.

One woman is in custody and two male suspects are believed to be contained on site, reportedly a farmhouse.

Chief Supt. Randy McGinnis said RCMP responded to a complaint of a death threat around 2 p.m. from a man who said another man told him he was going to break into his house and kill him.

RCMP were later called to a break and enter at a nearby farmhouse from which several firearms had been stolen. The resident described the suspect's vehicle, which matched the one connected to the original complaint. Officers tracked down the vehicle at a third residence, where a husband and wife known to the suspect lived.

Suspects drove off in a stolen truck, which became stuck in snow. A male began shooting at officers, who returned fire, said McGinnis. The injured officers are from the Vegreville and Two Hills detachments.

The officer who was run over is being treated at an Edmonton hospital, with broken bones and internal injuries. A total of five officers were at the scene.

''When we have individuals going out and doing a series of break and enters, and accumulating guns and property, unfortunately these are the events that sometimes happen,'' Said McGinnis.

''I just hope that everyone walks away from the scene alive.''
Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 AM

It's too bad that the officers who returned fire, weren't a bit more accurate. It would have saved our court system from having to deal with this scum.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's too bad that the officers who returned fire, weren't a bit more accurate. It would have saved our court system from having to deal with this scum.
Wholeheartedly agree!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 AM

An approximate quotation from the RCMP spokseman this morning on Global this morning:

"Two officers have been injured; one grazed or shot in the arm, and the other--more seriously injured--run over by the suspects. I'm not talking about being grazed and knocked into a ditch, I'm talking about being intentionally run over by a one tonne dodge duelly."
Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Not good , hope both officers recover alright. Not sure what the deal is with the escalating Violent crime in rural Ab .
Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Cool

It would appear all three are in custody. From the latest update ,one injured.
Speedy recovery to the injured officers.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM

Hope for a quick recovery.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
are the baddys setting up shop in small towns now to stay under the radar?
Contrary to opinion often voiced here, there are PLENTY of "baddies" born and raised in the country.

I sometimes think being an officer in the country is more dangerous. Back-up may be a long time coming. Hope the good guys recover.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM

For the record this location was no where near Vegreville...more like NW of Tofield
Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Thank god, looks like everyone will survive. It's too bad there's no way of easily getting these criminals off the street before something like this happens. Most of them are borderline psychos who have lived a life of crime for so long they'd know nothing else
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
For the record this location was no where near Vegreville...more like NW of Tofield
Thanks for that info!! I have NO internal compass and at lunch today I told the boys how confused I was I said when is VEG close to Tofield..no wonder I'm always lost!! except for the peeps that are always telling me where to go
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM

I'm somewhat surprised there's not been any new developments reported in the case. At least the suspects identities are known, which should help, but I'm curious with this being the case why their photos aren't plastered all over the internet. Nothing like having a few thousand extra eyes on the lookout.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 PM

Fish gunner posted at 10:08am that 3 suspects in custudy
Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm somewhat surprised there's not been any new developments reported in the case. At least the suspects identities are known, which should help, but I'm curious with this being the case why their photos aren't plastered all over the internet. Nothing like having a few thousand extra eyes on the lookout.
They got everyone... 2 people released without charges... The other guy well I hope they are still beating him senseless somewheres. I'd imagine he will get attempted murder charges.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 PM

Ahh, I was misunderstood that the ones arrested were the catch & release bystanders, I wasn't aware the central baddie was in custody. To what detachment do I sent the bouquet of rubber hoses?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Banned

Default Criminals

I forget where I read it but they rounded them up and released a husband and wife duo. All were known to police. I hope the husband and wife don't haven't kids. You know if they do they sure as hell aren't getting a fair shot.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
They got everyone... 2 people released without charges... The other guy well I hope they are still beating him senseless somewheres. I'd imagine he will get attempted murder charges.
The suspect will be identified publicly once charges are laid. I believe the other two had no involvement except being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Wishing a speedy recovery for the officer's involved.

Mr Conservation
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 PM

It's amazing how long criminal enterprises are allowed to flourish.
I am 99% confident that this is the same place where a stolen welding truck was discovered several years ago.
Iirc the guy had a gps tracker on his truck and he traced it to that location.
Would have been news about 6 ish years ago.

On the news tonight the Feds say it's a known location.
No kidding.
On another note, I shot my first whitetail about 500 metres from the scene on tv tonight back in 1990. Another bit of irony is an off duty RCMP helped me load that Deer. Believe it was the third week of November.
We would have been in the backyard more or less.
Hmm, ssamr have we ever met??

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!