Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Fixed-blade broadhead shooters...help please

Having always shot mechanical broadheads, but seeing the benefits of a fixed-blade, would some of you "fixed-blade" shooters care to educate me a bit?

a) In your experienced opinion, what would be your first choice for the most accurate fixed-blade for big game (Muleys, Elk ect...)

b) Would I have to re-tune my bow if I switch to fixed-blade heads of equal weight to the mechanicals I've already been shooting?

The sharpest appreciation!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM

I like the montecs by g5 . I believe the 100 grain montecs would be the best all around broadhead for deer to elk. You can also bye the practice broadheads which are nice cause your hunting broadheads stay supper sharp. But that's just my opinion
Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM

slick tricks and muzzy s are my favorite fixed bh.. there maybe some fine tunning that will need to be done !! Any time you change you set up things may change !! the best thing to do is try some fixed broadheads and see what flys the best for your set up .. good luck

mamba,
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Well...there are so many possibilities, bottom line is there are a lot of good choices and I think it mostly comes down to personal preference / experience.

My personal preference is for the slick tricks, they are the most accurate fixed blade I have used. Plus the blades are replaceable which for me is nice.

That being said, there are many others that I haven't tried that would probably perform as good. G5 makes a very quality product, as does Muzzy - I doubt you could go wrong with any of their fixed blade offerings. These are just a few, there are many other good brands out there.

For your last question, there is really only one way to find out and that is to shoot it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Im seriously thinking of switching back to fixed next year, i just have to many of my fave mech heads to use up first this year. But ilv been playing around and with out any change in tuning i found the 100gr magnus two blade stingers to fly great. They are a mean looking broadhead and im 98% set on using them next year.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM

I like the fixed blades. I shoot 100 grains and I just sighted them in last night. I only had to move my sights slightly. They fly very similar to a field point. I can't say one way or another though as I have never shot mechanical. It is a matter of personal preference. I prefer less moving parts.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 PM

montecs.

Buy an extra pack and file some down as practice broadheads and re-sight to ensure accuracy.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
montecs.

Buy an extra pack and file some down as practice broadheads and re-sight to ensure accuracy.
http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_montecpreseason
Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 AM

No need to file down an extra set when you can bye the practice montec bh they are awesome and fly the same as your sharp bh
Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM

I'm a slick trick fan too. Shot a big bull moose and a whitetail last year. They fly very close to my practice pionts. hardly any adjusting the sights between the two.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:53 PM

I trust my life to G5 Montecs and you can to..

Last edited by BrownBear416; 08-21-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:25 PM

The new strikers by G5 ar unreal just like the montecs but WAY SHARPER.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Default another vote for g5 montec

i used to use slick tricks, but the montecs shoot better for me.... shot an elk last fall and a bear this spring with the same broadhead.... just touched it up with a file and a knife sharpner and it still flies like new. good luck EH
Old 08-22-2010, 01:10 PM

I personally would go Magnus Stinger, Slick Trick, G5 Montec, Muzzy, Wasp Sharpshooter or Boss.
I have shot all of these, and they have all shot very well without significant tuning issues. The Stinger and Slick Trick needed no adjustment from the field point all the way out to 80yds other than elevation, and that was very slight, and I believe due to drag. All are very tough, all have their attributes to be loved over others. I am likely to shoot Rocky Mountain Snypers or Revolutions this year, but if I feel the need to go solid I will likely screw on a Slick Trick. They fly straight and make wicked holes.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 PM

I shoot Montecs by G5, there a good all around broadhead, you will have to re-sight your bow to make sure everything is shooting well, so there are no errors in the field that could lead to a wounded animal getting away from you. I shoot those on a PSE carbon force stl hunter 300, seems to work good, also with the carbons, I dont have to play around turning the broadheads for sighting as you would run into this with aluminum arrows. hope that helps ya.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 PM

I bought both G5 Montecs and NAP Braxes. I'm using the Braxes because I found they fly better and do more damage. Buy a couple and choose your poison.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets