Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2024, 07:02 PM

Default Weatherby Vangaurd vs MKV

So what r you getting with a MKV over a higher end Vanguard?

I notice alot of vanguard come in fancier models with a 26 inch barrel instead of a 24 inch.

Some models of vangaurd are right up to price point on the MKV Hunter models such as the VangaurdTalon
Old 04-13-2024, 07:21 PM

The Vanguard is a two lug Howa action, the Mark V is a six or nine lug action. It's nearly impossible to get a Mark V with all nine lugs bearing evenly. Personally, I believe that the Vanguard offers a lot more value for the money, if you avoid the higher dollar special editions. I have owned two Mark V rifles and a few Vanguard rifles, and I don't see myself ever owning another Mark V.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-13-2024 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:21 PM

Biggest thing I would call a plus, is the 54° bolt throw on the MKV.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM

Have one Weathermark & 4 Accumarks in the MK V. Had 2 different plain Vanguards(they gone), they were accurate enough but handling, cheek weld, bolt throw, looks, feel were seeing nothing but MK V tailights. YMMV

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-13-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Biggest thing I would call a plus, is the 54° bolt throw on the MKV.
I would agree.

I have only had two MKVs: an accumark and an ultra lightweight. I really liked them both, but they were no more accurate than any of the Vanguards I have had come and go over the years.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:07 AM

If you want a reliable ,accurate hunting rifle, get a lower
level Vanguard, if you want fancier, and are willing to spend twice as much, get a Mark V. I have never seen the point of spending an extra $500 or more for a fluted barrel, and fancy trim on a higher level Vanguard, and for Mark V prices, there are are many other options available, that offer better triggers,stocks etc, and that on average are more accurate.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:34 AM

I've owned MKV's in 257,270,7mm,300, 340, and 378, only 7mm is left. I preferred to hunt with nice wood in my hands. Also liked the action. To me the Vanguard is in the same class as a T3, a good tool for its purpose but nothing exciting.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:39 AM

I like MKVs. Have owned many, still have a 257 Ultra Light with Synthetic stock and a custom 338-378 with a great wood stock. MKVs are beautiful rifles that shoot very well right out of the box. Devcon bedded, they shoot even better. Being left handed, Vanguard isn't really an option.

There are no guns I dislike, just some I like better than others and the MKVs are a gun I REALLY like. You can find great used ones for about the same price as a new Vanguard.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:55 AM

The MK V is a very strong action with good gas protection. When you look at the time when it was released Weatherby cartridges were being squeezed into Mauser actions and the MkV was light years ahead of that for the long Weatherby cartridges and the pressure. Is the design better than a Vangard? I say yes but the Vanguard is a very functional firearm
Old 04-14-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I like MKVs. Have owned many, still have a 257 Ultra Light with Synthetic stock and a custom 338-378 with a great wood stock. MKVs are beautiful rifles that shoot very well right out of the box. Devcon bedded, they shoot even better. Being left handed, Vanguard isn't really an option.

There are no guns I dislike, just some I like better than others and the MKVs are a gun I REALLY like. You can find great used ones for about the same price as a new Vanguard.
Have hunted with a wby most of my life and killed majority of my big game with one. One of my favorite actions and have never had an issue with accuracy.
Latest is a backcountry ti. Sub 5lb and an absolute tack driver. Added bonus a factory installed trigger tech trigger
Old 04-14-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Vanguard is a two lug Howa action, the Mark V is a six or nine lug action. It's nearly impossible to get a Mark V with all nine lugs bearing evenly. Personally, I believe that the Vanguard offers a lot more value for the money, if you avoid the higher dollar special editions. I have owned two Mark V rifles and a few Vanguard rifles, and I don't see myself ever owning another Mark V.
A lot of marketing hype in the 9 locking lugs.
Even if it is the world's strongest action, when is that an advantage?
I heard WB owners repeat that like it is something magical.
You would have to to test a real high level of stupidity to damage a well mated 2 lug gun.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:46 PM

I haven't owned a vanguard but I have owned a howa 1500 and howa mini action and I was not impressed with either. Not in the same class as a t3 in my opinion. The Mark 5 is a quality rifle attractive and with good ergos and mine are accurate
Old 04-15-2024, 08:53 AM

Never owned either but have worked on and shot quite a few examples of each rifle

The MkV's without a doubt were smoother and more accurate than the Vanguards.
Not that the Vanguards were not accurate hunting rifles, they were quite capable.
Cat
Old 04-15-2024, 10:28 AM

I have an accuguard (so stainless fluted vanguard) and it's a good shooter and looks nice. I've shot it more than my custom KS Arms rifle.... lol My first big game rifle was a vanguard 308, still got it.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:00 PM

The only problem i have with my mkv is i wish it had a clip.
As for the difference between my mkv and the van is my mkv shoulder alot better but for accuracy with factory ammo i don’t notice the difference
Old 04-15-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
A lot of marketing hype in the 9 locking lugs.
Even if it is the world's strongest action, when is that an advantage?
I heard WB owners repeat that like it is something magical.
You would have to to test a real high level of stupidity to damage a well mated 2 lug gun.
Unfortunately I have sprung a rear 2 lug action to where it was difficult to close with a hot 300 magnum reload so prefer the extra safety of a MKV.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Unfortunately I have sprung a rear 2 lug action to where it was difficult to close with a hot 300 magnum reload so prefer the extra safety of a MKV.
If your loading is inconsistent, and a cartridge gets loaded to well above design pressures, and you want a bolt gun, you are best off with a Remington 700 with factory extractor, as it will contain gases at pressures that will blow the extractor out of a Mark V action. As for rear lug actions, they aren't as strong as a quality front lug action. And more smaller lugs aren't necessarily stronger than fewer much longer lugs, since it's harder to get more lugs to bear evenly. I blued the lugs in my own Mark Vs to test this, and one had good contact on 5 lugs, and the other on 7 lugs.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:45 PM

Yes I also did the contact test on my MKV's. The rear lug was a Schultz and Larsen, and I was developing loads for it when I was a 'wise' 16 year old, and had a need for speed, lol.