Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-01-2022, 09:42 PM

Default Bush gun Mare’s Leg vs 12 gauge

So I may be looking at buying a new bush gun, , I’ve never really had any issues with bears, so I would just bring one of my toys (currently a pc 9mm) now after having several interactions with bears in the last 3 years. Im thing of maybe upgrading to a Mare’s leg, but would I just be better of with a run of the mill 12 gauge? Weight seems to be the only con I can think of, or am I just looking for a good excise to blow $1300! Looking to weight the pro’s vs cons!
Old 09-01-2022, 10:16 PM

12 ga slugs is the best option.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
.....this, with a couple ssg's to finish the job.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:04 PM

I grabbed a Benelli Super Nova 12g with 20" barrel and ghost sights a few months back and will only shoot buckshot and Brenneke slugs through it for exactly what you describe. For $650 its cheap insurance when heading out to the bumper dumper in the dark when we camp around the Simonette.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:26 PM

Default specifically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
Brenneke
Old 09-02-2022, 05:37 AM

Personally I am a firm believer that your brains are far more important then a firearm when it comes to bears. Been in many places that have way higher bear numbers than you find in Alberta and the only time I felt the need for a firearm was hunting bears or recovering a bear someone shot

Now that said I have no issues with those who choose to carry a firearm as bear defense just saying brains should be used first and firearm as last resort

As for your choices 12g hands down loaded with a combo of slugs and 00 buck. I can tell you from first hand experience it works well in tight quarters

I would not trust the mares leg in a bad situation with a bear up close. I would want the bigger chunk of lead and more stopping power
Old 09-02-2022, 06:05 AM

I agree with most. I have a 12g maverick that is my sidekick, a variety of OO, SSG, Slugs to keep everyone honest. Although, I do pack my 45colt mares leg around when hiking or fishing these days; its lighter and an effective small arm
I think firstly brains and awareness are key; spray is known to be effective as well.... and then a chunk of lead when there is no other option
Old 09-02-2022, 07:25 AM

Don’t kid yourself, it’s more common than it used to be. We've had bears (and mama moose, and a mountain lion) on both family properties, a campsite, and many fishing trips in the last few years. One bear had to be dispatched, fell to a 30-06 at 10 yards from the front deck. He was about 400 lbs, had three 90 lb shepards barking from the edge of the yard lol. Chicken shiz or smart, I don’t know.

Short 12g with solid slugs (my current choice). 357 lever with 180 hard cast for the recoil sensitive. 44 mag with 305 hard cast. Any 30 cal rifle with monolithic bullets. All are acceptable choices. Note the projectile selection is critical.

…but (and it’s an oprah sized but) if you have to fight for your life, there’s no such thing as overkill. If you want to spend money, a new Ruger made 1895 trapper in 45-70, again loaded with hard cast.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:06 AM

I usually carry a pump action 12ga gassed up with slugs. Brenneke are great if you can find them, but ballistics-wise the Federal Deep Penetrator are almost as good.

I also like my Marlin 1895 45/70 with 405gr soft points.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:10 PM

I did really like my Marlin 45-70, for that type of moola, and a 12 gauge is a lot more versatile, but I guess at the end of the day, bear spray and the knowledge of using it is probably best!
Old 09-02-2022, 03:36 PM

According to stats the spray is the most effective. I still prefer a 12 gauge.

It still is a good idea to get a mares leg while you can.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:59 PM

I'd take a 12g over a mares leg, and I'd take a 45/70 over the 12g any day! Oh wait.... I
already did!!
Old 09-02-2022, 06:52 PM

I have a Chiappa 44 Mag Mares leg and a Win Defender. The Mares leg is fun but the 12g is allot easier to hit your target That said I pack spray and be aware of my surroundings
Old 09-02-2022, 07:03 PM

Default Ithaca Deerslayer

Smooth bore with sights clover leaves Brenneke slugs at 50 yards.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:17 PM

I would go with a semi-auto & 18.5" barrel.
Loaded with buck/slug/buck/slug/buck. Ghost load at will.

Carry birdshot too, if applicable.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Personally I am a firm believer that your brains are far more important then a firearm when it comes to bears. Been in many places that have way higher bear numbers than you find in Alberta and the only time I felt the need for a firearm was hunting bears or recovering a bear someone shot

Now that said I have no issues with those who choose to carry a firearm as bear defense just saying brains should be used first and firearm as last resort

As for your choices 12g hands down loaded with a combo of slugs and 00 buck. I can tell you from first hand experience it works well in tight quarters

I would not trust the mares leg in a bad situation with a bear up close. I would want the bigger chunk of lead and more stopping power
Sometimes brains aren't enough and as someone pointed out, bear incidents are becoming more common. Bear spray backed up by a twelve gauge. gives you an option, depending on the situation. Not a hand gun, but at least, with our laws you have the option of carrying a very short barreled scatter gun

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-03-2022, 12:00 AM

When it comes to a charging bear, I’d want to have something that I can shoulder quick and be solid aiming over a pistol grip on a shotgun or a Mares leg. A short barrel 12g or 45/70 guide gun flavour. Mossberg 500s are nice and light..
Old 09-03-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Sometimes brains aren't enough and as someone pointed out, bear incidents are becoming more common. Bear spray backed up by a twelve gauge. gives you an option, depending on the situation. Not a hand gun, but at least, with our laws you have the option of carrying a very short barreled scatter gun

Grizz
Like I said I have no issues with those who choose to carry but stand by your brains are far more valuable so rely on them first. Being aware of your surroundings, understanding situations that increase the odds of conflict, paying attention to sign in the area and being able to read a bears body language make a huge difference. Not getting into a conflict with a bear is more effective then trying to defend yourself when things go wrong. But I also have no issue with those who choose to prepare for the worst case scenario

I choose not to carry unless hunting/helping recover a hit bear and that is my choice. I have plenty of experience around bears and areas with much higher concentrations of both black/grizzly then you will find in Alberta. I understand the risk.

I gave my firearm recommendation based on the OP options and have used my recommendation effectively in a few up close encounters so can say it works too.

No need to debate my personal choice to not carry as I respect that others choose to carry and understand why
Old 09-03-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
When it comes to a charging bear, I’d want to have something that I can shoulder quick and be solid aiming over a pistol grip on a shotgun or a Mares leg. A short barrel 12g or 45/70 guide gun flavour. Mossberg 500s are nice and light..
My feelings as well, the average person can't hit a moving target, unless they have a firearm that they can shoulder.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Like I said I have no issues with those who choose to carry but stand by your brains are far more valuable so rely on them first. Being aware of your surroundings, understanding situations that increase the odds of conflict, paying attention to sign in the area and being able to read a bears body language make a huge difference. Not getting into a conflict with a bear is more effective then trying to defend yourself when things go wrong. But I also have no issue with those who choose to prepare for the worst case scenario

I choose not to carry unless hunting/helping recover a hit bear and that is my choice. I have plenty of experience around bears and areas with much higher concentrations of both black/grizzly then you will find in Alberta. I understand the risk.

I gave my firearm recommendation based on the OP options and have used my recommendation effectively in a few up close encounters so can say it works too.

No need to debate my personal choice to not carry as I respect that others choose to carry and understand why
Your spot on! Situational awareness will get you out of 90% of issues. Of course there’s always those that you can do nothing about. As I tell hunters carry a gun If you wish and carry spray! Stack the odds in your favor with every tool available! Why leave yourself only 1 option when you could have multiples to use depending upon the situation you find yourself in!
Old 09-03-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Absolutely, but when the **** hits the fan, you don't want to be caught with your pants around your ankles.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-03-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Good advice. Avoiding a conflict is always better than getting into it, but being prepared and able to end a fight is never a bad thing. Go with a short barrel 12 g stoked as above.

A mare's leg is hard enough to shoot well at the range, let alone in a high adrenaline situation.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:15 PM

12 gauge would be my choice. Bear spray will only work in the right conditions, i.e. wind going away from you. Even then there is no guarantee. Way too many bear attacks in the past to say it won't happen.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:52 AM

For a bush gun I carry a fairly compact 12ga pump, it has a 14" barrel a nice rubber pistol grip which makes it nice for carrying and also has a butt end stock. Think it weighs only about 4.5lbs empty. Recoil on it is a non issue. With some practice you can quickly and accurately cycle 5 rounds thru it. If you end up getting a 12ga with a short barrel do not shoot 3" magnum slugs thru it without hearing protection!

I also picked up 2 cans of bear spray this year, one for me and one for my wife. It never hurts to have extra options. Getting familiar with handling the spray is important as well, where to carry on yourself in a holster, taking the safety clip off etc. Sometimes I'll even carry it like I would a bottle of water.
Most of the camping/hunting/stream fishing I do is fairly remote and always have my wife and son along with me. There safety is my top priority.
Most mornings when I get up I'll make a cup of coffee and do about a 100yd perimeter walk around camp just to see if anything has come through during the night and quite often will find fresh tracks, pawed up ant hills that were not there the evening before, especially while camping close to or along rivers which is expected.

For the most part it's just being aware and alert of what's going on around you, and keeping a cool head should a close encounter happen.

As mentioned above I would either go with a 12ga or lever action 45-70.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:41 PM

I have a Winchester defenderwith the pistol grip. I think you would almost have to wait till the bear opens it’s mouth and you jam the barrel down it’s throat then pull the trigger. A butt stock would be way more accurate to shoot. I bought the pistol grip version so it would fit in the quad box.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:47 PM

Have bear spray and air horn but don't quite feel safe not packing my 12ga with double odd buck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180225_145928_resized.jpg (33.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20180225_145811_resized.jpg (45.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-07-2022, 08:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup, 2 3/4 shells, slug and backed up by 00
Bells, spray, whistles, fat slow friend all good but if your lucky and have time the shotty is a good choice and don’t forget the gears between your ears is the most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
So I may be looking at buying a new bush gun, , I’ve never really had any issues with bears, so I would just bring one of my toys (currently a pc 9mm) now after having several interactions with bears in the last 3 years. Im thing of maybe upgrading to a Mare’s leg, but would I just be better of with a run of the mill 12 gauge? Weight seems to be the only con I can think of, or am I just looking for a good excise to blow $1300! Looking to weight the pro’s vs cons!
I have had both in the past so I have $0.02 to share.

Mares Leg---> LIGHT definitely easier to carry than the 12ga and size is tiny+thinner profile for packs etc. the mini stock sucks but you can get away with it on a red dot - BUT add a full stock to it and its a tiny trapper with HUGE punch and shoulders SO fast and accurately out to 100 yards, .44 mag or a bear loaded .45 colt (ie: HSM or hand loads warm+) will do the work you want - lever is slower (just barely) than a 12 gauge pump.

12 gauge ---> a little but heavier to carry but solid feel and a insanely wide ammunition selection and lots of options if you are out and about (ie: some birdshot for grouse, 00 buck for deer, slug for deer, Heavy hard cast slugs - Brenneke or Score * score are made in Manitoba and are fantastic accurate per my tests). Shotgun offers you LOTS of choices in what kind you want from the classic Ithica Featherlight to Winchester trench guns, to Remmington 870's, Mossberg 590A1s pistol grips, synthetic, wood, gazillions of parts and mods to upgrade your firearm to make it personal and fit your shooting styles and tastes. ** if you go short barrel or pistol grip - add the red dot, when quick aiming (animal encounters) its macro reaction and faster to defend.

PRICE:
- Mares leg you are getting in for around $900-$1500.
- 12 Gauge you can get in for $300 (cheap chinese or turkish guns), approx. $600-$900 for a Remington 870/Mossberg 590, and upwards of $1000-1500 for a really sweet semi auto (Benelli etc.)

I have a 45-70 that I carry when guiding but when bow hunting - I used to carry the mares leg full stock for weight and compromised effectiveness.

***And whatever you get - put a light on it, you may think you don't need one but when you are out walking late after last sun and the woods are pitch black but the noise is 20 feet away - that vision is your saviour. (same as waking up to the smell of bear in camp outside your tent - we are eye dominant sense beings).

Last edited by Coho911; 10-23-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:50 PM

Default Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I'd take a 12g over a mares leg, and I'd take a 45/70 over the 12g any day! Oh wait.... I
already did!!
What are you loading the .45/70 with ?
Old 10-23-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Have bear spray and air horn but don't quite feel safe not packing my 12ga with double odd buck.
You might as well leave it in the truck if you are using 00 Buck. Try a penetration test on anything. It will open your eyes.