Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
I do find it quite funny how people worry about chemicals that 'might' contribute to cancer, maybe worry about the ones that are proven to cause cancer. Look up how many people die from cancer caused by drinking alcohol. Never a word mentioned about that.
So what if someone already didnt drink alcohol, and also wanted to avoid eating roundup soaked food as well?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Weebo,

Its not the L / hectare (acre), it is the micrograms per litre of concentrate.

What is used to kill saplings is pretty strong. As a farmer, you know that there is another product much more powerful called RESOLVE.

Anyways, eliminating roundup from farming practices won't make a difference anymore.

There was a study in Germany where thousands of volunteers doing their yearly physical provided samples for testing. 98 % had detectable levels of roundup in them. Theory is that it was the wheat used for bread / beer making as the source.

As you know, crops are now force ripened in early September by spraying roundup.

Pretty tough to avoid it, yet world survival rates are touching 86 years now. So we are all getting older for some reason or another.

Only thing taking Canada's survival rate down is the fentanyl deaths.

Drewski
Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
So what if someone already didnt drink alcohol, and also wanted to avoid eating roundup soaked food as well?
Best thing for you to do then is to quit eating all together. Round up soaked food? Give me a break. Thanks for slapping the farmers in the face.

Consumers have voted with their pocketbooks that this is the way they want us to farm. Big bushels grown as cheap as possible. The cheap food policy will have to change. You want us to go back to organically farming then you best decide who of your family that is ok to die. There will not be enough food for everyone and the price of it is going to skyrocket.

Last edited by IL Bar; 03-23-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Neat idea but THAT drone is not planting 100000 trees a day and I can guarantee that company is not making 10000 of them either. I am however, sure they are looking for investors.
You sound like have some proof for your claims...please supply them.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
And all them drones made out of plastic which come from....wait for it....oil and gas......HUMM.....

It appears you only ride on a bicycle and have never been on an airplane either.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Best thing for you to do then is to quit eating all together. Round up soaked food? Give me a break. Thanks for slapping the farmers in the face.

Consumers have voted with their pocketbooks that this is the way they want us to farm. Big bushels grown as cheap as possible. The cheap food policy will have to change. You want us to go back to organically farming then you best decide who of your family that is ok to die. There will not be enough food for everyone and the price of it is going to skyrocket.
Herbacides and pesticides are used to increase profit margins for produces who dont mind sending out toxin covered food to the consumers. The same consumers who are taxed higher and higher and are getting more and more sick, generating less income to try and put quality nutrition in their bodies. The problem starts with the person making the choice to increase profit margins for a lower quality product consumed by people who generally have no idea what they are eating. They assume the government food regulations are keeping them safe.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Herbacides and pesticides are used to increase profit margins for produces who dont mind sending out toxin covered food to the consumers. The same consumers who are taxed higher and higher and are getting more and more sick, generating less income to try and put quality nutrition in their bodies. The problem starts with the person making the choice to increase profit margins for a lower quality product consumed by people who generally have no idea what they are eating. They assume the government food regulations are keeping them safe.
How do you take care of your yard assuming that you have one? Any weed killers or fertilizers used? Or do you hand pick every weed? Something to think about.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Roundup has been used since 1976 shouldn't we all be dead by now?
Interesting that you should say that. This week a study was published in the BMJ that shows a direct correlation in the incidence of autism.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:24 PM

Glyphosphate is not the dangerous compound in Roundup... It's the other compound in it that kills you.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
How do you take care of your yard assuming that you have one? Any weed killers or fertilizers used? Or do you hand pick every weed? Something to think about.
I dont use herbicides or pesticides just like how I prefer to not eat them. What is there to think about?

I get it that to produce against people who are using profit increasing measures, that there would be less profit not to, so the entire market needs to adjust. Better food, and producers still stay competitive with eachother.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
What is really tragic is that Alberta Forestry has approved the spraying of roundup on cut blocks to kill the deciduous tree saplings.

They then plant spruce and pine on the cut block. Grass that did grow on the open cut blocks is also eliminated.

Deciduous saplings create ground cover for wildlife much quicker than the replanted conifers, and the grass is available browse and creates seeds for the birds and mice.

Instead, you are left with a large open area that is barren and a killing zone for the predators.

Willow and Poplar are browse all year long for deer, elk, and moose. Not Spruce and pine.

The Horticulturalists will explain that using roundup speeds up the growth of the conifers, because they do not have to compete with the faster growing deciduous trees or the grass.

Regardless of whether Roundup is a cumulative toxin or not, in the areas that the forestry companies are operating, they are destroying valuable habitat for wildlife.

Drewski
This !!!!
Seems insane to kill off thousands of acres a year of moose/deer browse and then wonder why wildlife numbers are down......
Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Glyphosphate is not the dangerous compound in Roundup... It's the other compound in it that kills you.
Seems like the courts disagree with you. Share holders are dumping stock pretty quick cuz this is just the first of the law suits.......
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47633086
Old 03-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Many years ago, about thirty or a bit more, I was working a neighbors fields for the summer.

One day I was tasked with dragging an old steel wheel tractor out of the the bush at the end of one field.

Two problems, there was only one trail to that location so one way in and same way out.
Second, unbeknownst to me, aerial application of a potent pesticide had been scheduled for that same day for one field along my route.

To make a long story short, I could not travel fast enough to clear the flight path on my way out and got sprayed.

The warnings on the label suggested the chemical used to be several times more dangerous then Roundup, a product we used often.

Because of the chore I was tasked with it was many hours before I could reach a property with running water so was unable to immediately rinse off spray I had been exposed to.
I suffered no ill effect then or in the following years.

All of these chemicals bear warnings for a worst case scenario. Most will cause little to no harm to anyone in a limited exposure situation to the spray itself.

I suppose in theory, a compromised health individual may be at high risk if exposed to minimal quantities of a single chemical but not a healthy individual..
I is also clear to me that a far greater risk is involved where a person is exposed to a wide range of man made chemicals over many years.

It seems to me that among the worst are hygiene products, food preservatives, and other chemicals in every day products we take for granted.

It is popular these days to invent a boogy man and start a protest as a way to get ones name on some news broadcast.

I suspect this is one such case.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Farming practices of 50 years ago wouldn't feed the population of the world nowadays. Continuous cropping, zero till, large amounts of fertilizer, and weed suppression are now used to feed those without the ability to look after themselves. Perhaps you could try doing that...lot's of options
Old 03-23-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
This !!!!
Seems insane to kill off thousands of acres a year of moose/deer browse and then wonder why wildlife numbers are down......
You're kidding right? Do you get out of the city to actually see what goes on, or do you collect your information from social media.
Each and every new cutblock out here increases ungulate forage 10 fold. As I mentioned in a previous post, the gullibility of the masses astonishes me.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguy View Post
It appears you only ride on a bicycle and have never been on an airplane either.
I think you have misread not one but two comments...please feel free to re read our posts.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Seems like the courts disagree with you. Share holders are dumping stock pretty quick cuz this is just the first of the law suits.......
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47633086
We're arguing separate components of roundup. Glyphosphate is one component. Glyphosphate is a kelation agent. It binds to certain minerals, makes them unavailable to the plant for use, and the plant then flushes them out of its system. These minerals are vital for the plant to fight disease.

The second chemical compound in round up makes the plant sick, and because it lacks minerals to fight the disease, the plant dies. Meanwhile, the minerals that the plant flushed out of its system remains unavailable for any plant to pick up again.

This is why the plants are demineralized, and getting less and less healthy for human consumption. Many of those minerals that help the plant fight disease are necessary for humans to maintain health as well. These minerals are vital is forming amino acids as well. With less of these minerals available from the food supply, and less of these essential amino acids, the health of the human population in general is sliding...

So, I'd guess that the cancers are a byproduct of omission than a product of direct commission of the act by the producers of roundup.

Now, the most interesting thing about this is that most of these agritech companies are owned or subsidiaries to pharmaceutical companies. I'd wager a guess that they actually know all of this. They are using this to keep a steady supply of customers.

Considering that most government pensions are heavily invested in these companies, I'd say there's no will in the government machine to make any changes. And we pay for the politicians twice.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Farming practices of 50 years ago wouldn't feed the population of the world nowadays. Continuous cropping, zero till, large amounts of fertilizer, and weed suppression are now used to feed those without the ability to look after themselves. Perhaps you could try doing that...lot's of options
That's not fully true. The practices had to change due to the changing demographic of the farming population. If the farms were at best a section big with a large family running it, the practices of 50 years ago with smaller versions of modern machines would feed the same number of people that are currently being fed.

The reason for the modern techniques and 'problems' is that one or two guys are trying to run 10,000 acres. And so the problems inherent in modern methods become necessary until scientists find a way for humans to work while holding time still...
Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 AM

I always find it amusing how people who live on 60x90ft pieces of land surrounded by pavement ,concrete and air pollution want to tell the rest of us how to do our jobs environmentally friendly. Over the last 10 years I have applied herbicides ,insecticides and fungicides on 25,000 acres annually.Do you honestly think we would feed our families the food we produce if we felt there was any risk of harm to them? This kind of head in the sand mentality is exactly why most of my neighbors ask where the guy looking for permission to hunt is from and unfortunately they are tired and are painting everyone with the same brush .
Old 03-24-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
You're kidding right? Do you get out of the city to actually see what goes on, or do you collect your information from social media.
Each and every new cutblock out here increases ungulate forage 10 fold. As I mentioned in a previous post, the gullibility of the masses astonishes me.
Oh please, try to get grip. Cut blocks and fires create tons of feed, unfortunately once they green up spraying them with round up kills off all that feed.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:43 AM

Wasn’t there a court case in which Bayer had to pay out a man over 200 million after they proved that roundup caused his cancer.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard View Post
i always find it amusing how people who live on 60x90ft pieces of land surrounded by pavement ,concrete and air pollution want to tell the rest of us how to do our jobs environmentally friendly. Over the last 10 years i have applied herbicides ,insecticides and fungicides on 25,000 acres annually.do you honestly think we would feed our families the food we produce if we felt there was any risk of harm to them? This kind of head in the sand mentality is exactly why most of my neighbors ask where the guy looking for permission to hunt is from and unfortunately they are tired and are painting everyone with the same brush .
exactly!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Wasn’t there a court case in which Bayer had to pay out a man over 200 million after they proved that roundup caused his cancer.
The payout was lowered to 78 million US and is being appealed by Bayer.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
The payout was lowered to 78 million US and is being appealed by Bayer.
Better hope they win the appeal because if it sets precedent there are another 1100 cases waiting.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
We're arguing separate components of roundup. Glyphosphate is one component. Glyphosphate is a kelation agent. It binds to certain minerals, makes them unavailable to the plant for use, and the plant then flushes them out of its system. These minerals are vital for the plant to fight disease.

The second chemical compound in round up makes the plant sick, and because it lacks minerals to fight the disease, the plant dies. Meanwhile, the minerals that the plant flushed out of its system remains unavailable for any plant to pick up again.

This is why the plants are demineralized, and getting less and less healthy for human consumption. Many of those minerals that help the plant fight disease are necessary for humans to maintain health as well. These minerals are vital is forming amino acids as well. With less of these minerals available from the food supply, and less of these essential amino acids, the health of the human population in general is sliding...

So, I'd guess that the cancers are a byproduct of omission than a product of direct commission of the act by the producers of roundup.

Now, the most interesting thing about this is that most of these agritech companies are owned or subsidiaries to pharmaceutical companies. I'd wager a guess that they actually know all of this. They are using this to keep a steady supply of customers.

Considering that most government pensions are heavily invested in these companies, I'd say there's no will in the government machine to make any changes. And we pay for the politicians twice.

Oh man did you just join the dark side?

They can't handle the truth...

I have all your tinfoil needs covered.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Oh man did you just join the dark side?

They can't handle the truth...

I have all your tinfoil needs covered.
No, I read the raw research from when my dad worked for the Standards Council of Canada, and was the first large scale real world farm test for Round Up. The rest is merely the logical conclusion from watching the results around me.

The published data, and the raw data are two different things.

No, I'm not risking myself by putting it out there for others to read. There's no upside for me.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Very interesting. Thank you
Old 03-24-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I think you have misread not one but two comments...please feel free to re read our posts.
How right you are. I had been reading an email regarding the proliferation of plastic in our lakes and oceans etc. My mindset was way off base. A thousand pardons. I`m truly sorry. Thanks
Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, I read the raw research from when my dad worked for the Standards Council of Canada, and was the first large scale real world farm test for Round Up. The rest is merely the logical conclusion from watching the results around me.

The published data, and the raw data are two different things.

No, I'm not risking myself by putting it out there for others to read. There's no upside for me.
Sorry i could have come across better in my original reply, i agree with your breakdown ,it is line with what i have read and experienced, same team, i was sarcastically trying to warn you of the incoming hate and accusations for stating such a controversial perspective, i get the feeling that there are a lot of guilty conscience's out there who suspect that what is true and what they've been led to believe is true are two different things.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Sorry i could have come across better in my original reply, i agree with your breakdown ,it is line with what i have read and experienced, same team, i was sarcastically trying to warn you of the incoming hate and accusations for stating such a controversial perspective, i get the feeling that there are a lot of guilty conscience's out there who suspect that what is true and what they've been led to believe is true are two different things.
Sorry. I have trouble with sarcasm registering through text. And I've been a bit tired and irritable with my liberal and NDP card carrying members visiting.