Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 PM

Default Proposing new sub-forum

Howdy folks.

I had an unfortunate experience yesterday while out whitetail hunting that left me sick to my stomach. Not because of what happened, but because of what DIDN'T happen. There existed potential for a major accident yesterday, but thankfully, nothing serious happened. We all claim to be experts in our handling of firearms and we hold ourselves in high esteem with how safe our track records are. This is a story on gun safety and a call on the moderators to add a new sub-forum on here. I was going to just go onto the SK hunting forum (menoutdoors.com) and add my story to the "Safety" or "Gun Safety" or "Field Safety" or "Being Safe in the Field" sub-forum which I KNEW had to be on there. There are dozens of sub-forums, and I was therefore convinced there had to be one in some form or another, on safety. While reading this short story, please keep in mind my plea for the AO forum: to add a new sub-forum with an appropriate title to deal with all things safety. We have this amazing platform to share our successes and I now feel it is imperative to humbly add a safety sub-forum to enhance our A.O. culture. It can only do good things.

Yesterday I decided to park the truck on the road side and head out to a couple of small willow bluffs a couple hundred yards off the road to see if I could kick up some deer. I exited the vehicle, loaded up the gun (a Remington 30-06 model 700 - Today I learned on the recalls of this gun in regards to this exact issue) and made my way to the bluff. As I approached it (keeping in mind the position of the truck, the wind, the horizon and generally taking inventory of my surroundings) two does jumped up and began running away from me. I decided not to shoot. No other deer ran out of that bluff. I headed a couple hundred yards further to the next willow bluff to see what would come of it. As I approached, three whitetail does jumped up and began running away - in the perfect direction to warrant a safe shot. This was the last day of the season, we hadn't seen any bucks worth shooting so I decided to take a healthy doe. I raised my rifle, took aim and (the next series of events took place in a matter of 10 or 15 seconds) squeezed the trigger....nothing happened. I felt a tiny click of the trigger, but not a full click like I should have felt. I lowered my rifle in disbelief and then BANG!! The gun went off. In a state of bewildered shock I stared at the gun, looked where the barrel was pointing (which was towards the deer in a clear view and away from any buildings or vehicles) and saw the deer hadn't been hit. Said a few words, ejected the shell and closed the bolt to load another bullet into the chamber and BANG!!! Gun immediately went off as soon as I closed the bolt. This time the muzzle was pointed in front of me and the bullet hit the dirt 4 feet away from me. Said a few more words, ejected the spent shell and accepted that this hunt was over and done with right then and there. I was not going to put one more bullet into that chamber as the gun was most certainly compromised.

The gun is going to be sent in to TNT in Regina for repairs.

I want this story to be shared amongst your fellow hunting friends / target shooting friends. It stresses one of the golden rules we all learned in our firearms safety courses. ALWAYS always always keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Guns can and do go off at times which the operator doesn't want them to. Had I carelessly swung the barrel in the direction of the truck (for whatever reason) and that bullet had fired off, the story could've been a tragic one as my Dad was in the truck watching this all go down. He didn't know about the misfires - he was wondering how I missed the deer because I was so close to them when they jumped up! He was smiling as I approached the truck and I was not. I told him what had happened and he went into a state of disbelief, embarrassment, shock and anger (at the gun of course.) We take great care of our guns. We clean and inspect them regularly. This gun is in immaculate condition, but like anything mechanical, problems can arise.

If I could come back to my plea for a final comment. Please take my consideration seriously. I think it's a necessary element to have in this forum; a place where we can share our stories on gun safety. It would be educational, informative and if it causes you to think a little more about safe practices with your firearms, what harm can that do?

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 PM

Let me be the first to say:
We do not need a sub forum for safety.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
X2.

OP. Glad to hear that your weren't injured, or any wildlife.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:02 PM

I'm inclined to think that it was an ammo issue, not a gun issue.

In your firearm course, they tell you when you hear a click and no boom, keep pointing where you intend to shoot for a full min in case of a hang fire.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 PM

If the recall is still on, you send the rifle to Gravel ? in Montreal for warranty repair. Seems to be not uncommon for older model Remingtons.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 PM

What's wrong with just posting up right here in the general discussion any concerns or mishaps or miss fires just like you did! I read your entire post and I'm glad that you took the time to write up what happened with you.
I am now sure that next time I pick up any firearm I will remember about the reminder to pay close attention to where my barrel is pointed...thanks and I as well do not think we need an extra sub forum of any sort... Got Er figured right here.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 PM

could use a sub forum for all the political stuff
Old 12-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

In your firearm course, they tell you when you hear a click and no boom, keep pointing where you intend to shoot for a full min in case of a hang fire.
I might have agreed for the first shot but if it fired when closing the bolt on the second one it ain't the ammo.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:43 PM

There is no way I would have chambered a second round in that circumstance, glad the op is here to tell the story.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:49 PM

Basically the same thing happened to me with my Rem 700...sliding the bolt forward and down the weapon discharged...stood there in disbelieve trying to figure what when wrong...sent the rifle to Montreal for trigger replacement, part of the recall, fast turnaround time...less than to weeks.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:44 PM

Thanks to forums and the net we are more aware of gun problems. I have a remington model 721 and years ago I had it go off when I was not expecting it to fire. Just lately I was reading that those model 721 rifles would go off when you took it off of safety. Something to do with switching the safety off would cause it to fire. Some people who had that model got so they would not close the bolt until they were ready to fire. Years ago we would not have known about any firearms problems as the manufactures could keep everything secret.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Banned

Default This is an old problem

I know of misfires and self fires back in late 70s and early eighties .
Never been a 700 fan
Here is some recall info

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...odelseven.aspx

Gun safety is a given . But I know sick feeling when something like that
Happens .
Old 12-04-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011laramie View Post
could use a sub forum for all the political stuff
Yep ^^^

But this one should go in guns and ammo and/or hunting.

Glad nothing tragic happened.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Exactly, what we need is for all to understand at work, rest or play we need to be safe and conduct ourselves accordingly.

Unfortunately things will happen.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-04-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
I might have agreed for the first shot but if it fired when closing the bolt on the second one it ain't the ammo.
Exactly, it isn't an ammunition issue.

And no, we don't need a safety sub forum.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-04-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Default rem 700

same thing happened with mine at the range . immediately put away and trigger was changed out, no more issues. hate that c shaped remmy sear , one bit of dirt and it can slip .
Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Nope the model 700 had issues, there is a recall for them, buddies fatherinlaw has same rifle in 7-08 and he was telling us about the recall hunting this year..
Old 12-04-2015, 09:49 AM

The first would be the ammo no? I don't understand how the gun can go click, but here was a delay in the firing. The hammer would have already stuck the firing pin.

Second part I skipped the bolt closing let, that's definitely the gun.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The first would be the ammo no? I don't understand how the gun can go click, but here was a delay in the firing. The hammer would have already stuck the firing pin.

Second part I skipped the bolt closing let, that's definitely the gun.
Quote:
I felt a tiny click of the trigger, but not a full click like I should have felt.
It sounds like the firing pin didn't strike with full force, it may have struck the primer just hard enough to cause a hang fire.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 AM

I think if there were a sub forum for safety LESS people would be likely to see and open your thread than where this one is right now. With few groupings, more people are likely to at least see your thread title.

That menoutdoors might be a perfect example of the problem. SO many subsections. I joined a while ago but don't bother now because of that problem, and also because there seem to be about 3 new posts a day. SO slow.

Anyway, glad no one was hurt! That would be scary for sure.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM

I would get rid of the shells and send the rifle in for a look see. A combination of both could be the problem. You just don't know !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I would get rid of the shells and send the rifle in for a look see. A combination of both could be the problem. You just don't know !
After reading the description of the events that took place, unless there was no firing pin indent in the primer of the second round, I would not be worried about the ammunition at all.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Nailed it.

I suspect some people forget about it though..

OP,

I do have a remmington 700 30-06 too. What recalls are there on the rifle?
Old 12-04-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Nailed it.

I suspect some people forget about it though..

OP,

I do have a remmington 700 30-06 too. What recalls are there on the rifle?
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...odelseven.aspx

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/busi...recall-n263851
Old 12-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Perfect. Thank you sir.

I will check mine later tonight. I purchased my rifle in Sept 2015. I think I am ok, but will check it out anyways..
Old 12-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Speaking of accidents my stepson and his buddy were shooting a shottie his buddy thought the gun was empty ended up shooting Cory on the inside of his right foot tearing a 2" hole on the side of his foot some pellets and gravel hit his left foot as well. He's been in the hospital for 4 weeks the docs hope to be able to start skin grafting next week. I'd post a picture but it's too gruesome for AO
He's lucky the 12 GA. Didn't hit the center of his foot he would Lost his whole foot, let's be darn careful out there.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Speaking of accidents my stepson and his buddy were shooting a shottie his buddy thought the gun was empty ended up shooting Cory on the inside of his right foot tearing a 2" hole on the side of his foot some pellets and gravel hit his left foot as well. He's been in the hospital for 4 weeks the docs hope to be able to start skin grafting next week. I'd post a picture but it's too gruesome for AO
He's lucky the 12 GA. Didn't hit the center of his foot he would Lost his whole foot, let's be darn careful out there.
Scary, could have been much worse. That said, it sounds bad enough. I hope he recovers well.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
His buddy is one person that I would not be letting near a firearm in my presence.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:17 PM

I don't think his buddy will ever go near a gun again or Cory for that matter. It happened on Halloween day the cops are still contemplating charges the shotgun and his PAL card were seized. A lot of hurt for him and his family the bones in both feet were broken, the docs are waiting for the tissue to grow over the exposed tendons before they start with grafting. He'll be of work for at least 4 months.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think if there were a sub forum for safety LESS people would be likely to see and open your thread than where this one is right now. With few groupings, more people are likely to at least see your thread title.

That menoutdoors might be a perfect example of the problem. SO many subsections. I joined a while ago but don't bother now because of that problem, and also because there seem to be about 3 new posts a day. SO slow.

Anyway, glad no one was hurt! That would be scary for sure.
100% in agreement with Ok's statement. I am a member on several outdoor forums that I rarely go to any more due to too many subs.
Closed Thread

Tags
30-06, misfire, model 700, remington, safety