Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM
fallen1817's Avatar
fallen1817 fallen1817 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 720
Default A-HA! Moments...

Last week, I picked up my new-to-me bow, minus a rest... So I got a rest today for Father's day. I got it all tuned up, but was going through the motions of drawing back, when it dawned on me....

I am a self taught archer... I figured things out as I went for the past ten years.... Whenever I would shoot, I would try to have whichever pin I was using in the centre of my sight... My groupings were never all that tight, and I wasn't all that comfortable outside of 20 yards... Which severely limited my hunting chances.

Today as I drew back, the peep pined up perfectly around my sight, and I though... Hey, why don't I keep my peep lined up with my sight ring, and just move the pins over the target.... Kind of hard to explain, but I'm 200% confident that is how it's supposed to be done.

Ever have a moment that brings clarity like that?

Being self taught isn't easy, some days...

Jeff
__________________
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Last week, I picked up my new-to-me bow, minus a rest... So I got a rest today for Father's day. I got it all tuned up, but was going through the motions of drawing back, when it dawned on me....

I am a self taught archer... I figured things out as I went for the past ten years.... Whenever I would shoot, I would try to have whichever pin I was using in the centre of my sight... My groupings were never all that tight, and I wasn't all that comfortable outside of 20 yards... Which severely limited my hunting chances.

Today as I drew back, the peep pined up perfectly around my sight, and I though... Hey, why don't I keep my peep lined up with my sight ring, and just move the pins over the target.... Kind of hard to explain, but I'm 200% confident that is how it's supposed to be done.

Ever have a moment that brings clarity like that?

Being self taught isn't easy, some days...

Jeff
Idk but sounds good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Passthru's Avatar
Passthru Passthru is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 523
Default

Glad to hear your evolving. Funny how sometimes we overlook things. Nock on podcast has helped me a lot with little technical things like this, especially if your self taught. I'm sure your groups are gonna be much better now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 PM
fallen1817's Avatar
fallen1817 fallen1817 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Glad to hear your evolving. Funny how sometimes we overlook things. Nock on podcast has helped me a lot with little technical things like this, especially if your self taught. I'm sure your groups are gonna be much better now.
I'm a big fan of that podcast... It has a good mix of target shooting and hunting, and has taught me a few things around technique... I just never connected the dots with the sight picture... Still slapping my forehead over this haha.

If you can't laugh at yourself.....
__________________
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 25,304
Default

Yes that's how it's supposed to be done, hence why peep sights are different sizes and dovetail sights are desireable (can move them in and out to match the peep size). It's all part of proper anchor and sight picture.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 AM
waterninja waterninja is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: edmonton
Posts: 11,363
Default

I love Google or You Tube when I am trying to learn something new.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 AM
fallen1817's Avatar
fallen1817 fallen1817 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I love Google or You Tube when I am trying to learn something new.
You and me both... It was never something I thought was "wrong", I just had the thought of "it would be better if I did it this way, instead."

The internet is one hell of a teacher!
__________________
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 AM
fatboyz fatboyz is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: rocky Mountain House
Posts: 1,226
Default

I had an A-Ha moment yesterday. I'm on a big motorcycle trip through the Deh-Cho to Inuvic and then Alaska.After two hours of sideways pouring rain enough made it through the neck of my rain suit to leak down my my side and pool in my crotch. It was clear at that point that the next 300km to Fort Nelson were going to suck big time!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Grizzly Adams's Avatar
Grizzly Adams Grizzly Adams is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 16,263
Default

Sometimes the obvious isn't that obvious.

Grizz
__________________
"Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal."
John E. Pfeiffer The Emergence of Man
written in 1969
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Jays toyz Jays toyz is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 135
Default

I am also new to archery and had a similar revelation. I was more inconsistent than I thought was right and realized i was tweaking the string one way or another with pressure on the solid shaft of my release.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-21-2017, 05:03 PM
wildwoods's Avatar
wildwoods wildwoods is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Location
Posts: 3,034
Default

The moment I realized where the elk went during daylight hrs.

The moment when fishing clicked (specific time and place) thanks in part to TJ's writings- never looked back.

The moment I realized how amazing hunting private land was. Still love the bush but man, knowing and establishing good relationships with farmers is so much fun- and rewarding.

cool thread
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.