Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 12:21 PM

Default Beginner Jet Boater Resources

I purchased a 19’ Harbercraft 1975 with a 12° hull, want to get more into fishing and hunting the rivers, mostly the Athabasca and North Saskatchewan to start. Looking for all the information and advice I can get this season. If anyone is willing to share any advice on the best places to get maps with channels/depths, rapid info, good resources for learning to read rivers better, or just any good advice in general I’d appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:18 PM

maps will be tough to find as the channels will change year to year. I would start by doing small trips and learning how to read the water. Your main current will always be on the outside bends of the river with the sand and gravel bars located on the inside of the bend. Invest money in a capstone winch as these are life savers when you get stuck in the shallows.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:36 PM

there is an alberta river atlas put out by the GoA at one time
Old 03-20-2023, 07:11 PM

Buy yourself a couple push poles and take at least one other decently strong guy with you, ALWAYS head upstream from your launch spot, especially for the first few times you run the boat. Figure out what your 3/4 throttle rpm is and don't run over it while cruising, that extra 25 percent will save your arse if you need to put the power down in a hurry.
If you're a rooky head to the boat launch at Devon and head west from there- you can learn about your boat without any craziness.
Next head for drayton valley- from the campground at the bridge you can head west/south and get a feel for your boat and experience some small rapids and shallow water etc. still very minor.
After that west from whitecourt, west from nordegg bridge all good times and not very dangerous at all. The only serious rapid on the north is at whirlpool point west of rocky- its a long haul from rocky and very bypassable. In your boat there are zero rapids you need to worry about in those two rivers- find and figure out the alberta river basins website. It tells you river flow rates etc. If a river is 100 percent over average- its a good idea to wait a week haha.
Don't let anyone talk you into running the brazeau until you understand your boat and its limitations OR you are with a bunch of boats and guys that are willing to help get you unstuck.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:45 PM

Die hard AO fan here(obviously ) but I did join Alberta Jet Boaters FB group because I was planning to partner up with an experienced jet boater.

Did end up fishing the lakes quite a bit before my first river adventure so I knew my boat's capability. I have the drift sock(never used), push poles(used quite a bit)

I ran the rivers in the deeper water without pushing the envelope too much first couple years. Have been out in waist deep water trying to get it back into floating depth. lol

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-20-2023, 08:04 PM

well I have been doing the rivers here for years,,
a good resource is Google Earth Pro for a over view of the rivers
Backroad Maps Alberta GPS maps are a second resource..

WARNING only use as reference The rivers are a living creature they move and shift constantly. using GPS maps you can log your channels and bad rocks and hidden bad spots, but remember one good flood and things move...

River Rat II
Old 03-20-2023, 09:57 PM

Best advice I have is learn to read the water, and don’t be scared to pin it. Lots of people back off, when at times it’s only throttle that can help you out.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:30 PM

There are vast resources in the canoe world on how to read river structures. Classics films by Bill Mason should be standard fair for any Canadian watermen in my opinion. I think even s basic understanding applies to both fishing and boating

B.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:03 AM

Boat upstream first if you can because it is easier to read the water, see hazards, and you have a bit more time to make adjustments/decisions. Remember to "Shoot the V" in shallow riffles as that will direct you to the spot that has the most water
Old 03-24-2023, 05:51 PM

If you could get your hands on this old book it is very nice resource. While it is old, the information in it is still as valid as ever. I learned a lot from it.

https://burntlakemotorsports.com/pro...y-ed-stremecki
Old 03-26-2023, 03:33 PM

How to Read and Run a River by Ed Stremecki
Old 03-30-2023, 09:04 AM

I've only been on the river the last few years, but been in an outboard all my life. I tried to read as much as I could online about reading the river but not a lot of information out there. "How to read and run a river" is a great book and felt it gave me a lot of practical information. Explorer in Edmonton has some copies last time I was there.

Depending on your confidence and risk tolerance you could start on the lake then move to the river, but I believe in jumping straight into the fire haha.

Check Google maps for your route, check the average depths and flow on the alberta web site (https://rivers.alberta.ca/), have the proper gear (recovery, safety, etc.) then get out there and learn how to read the water.

Start in the deeper channel then when confident start moving closer to the shallow sections, then plan routes through the shallows that challenges your maneuvering skills. I do this every time I'm out to push myself to be better, not because I race or have a death wish, but to have the skills and confidence when things get hairy on the river. There will be times you pick the wrong channel and need the skill to push through or whip a 180 before the point of no return.

Some of my rules: Always assume the river has changed, head on a swivel and look 100m+ ahead, everyone wares a PFD, gear/fuel check before trip, passengers are well aware the boat may suddenly change direction or speed because of obstacles, if on a new river or unaware of downstream exits go up river, if in doubt keep momentum up, and of course no drugs/alcohol.

Overall I found the best way to learn is to get out there and start boating. I'll be on the NSR as soon as the launch opens.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
If you could get your hands on this old book it is very nice resource. While it is old, the information in it is still as valid as ever. I learned a lot from it.

https://burntlakemotorsports.com/pro...y-ed-stremecki
There is a copy for sale on abebooks.com
Old 04-02-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
There is a copy for sale on abebooks.com
former ford fan . LOL