Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2023, 08:35 PM

Default Your favorite braid to floro knot

Specifically light line. 12 lb braid to 6 or 8lb floro. Looking for something easy to remember. Have tried surgeon knot, seems weak and FG knot, hard to tie and remember how to tie.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-19-2023, 08:47 PM

Double uni knot
Old 03-19-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Double uni knot
What this guy said
Old 03-19-2023, 09:22 PM

I do either the FG or the Alberto knot.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-19-2023, 09:35 PM

Alberto knot. Accept no substitute.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:31 AM

A properly tied FG is about 30% stronger than an Alberto…

Personally I use the PR bobbin but if I was playing in fresh water with 6lb fluro I would likely double them both and use loop to loop via cats paw. If I had to cast it through the guides and needed it seamless I would use the FG. It’s not a 100% knot like the PR bobbin but it’s close enough and better than the competition. With 6lb test you can’t afford to give up that much strength like some of these previously mentioned knots even though you’re probably only using 2-2.5lbs of drag.

If you have a hard time tying a FG or remembering how to tie it, look at a few YouTube videos. There are many, many different ways to tie it and one of them will be easier for you to remember how to do it.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 03-20-2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:58 AM

Double uni knot
Old 03-20-2023, 07:03 AM

There is a direct comparison on you tube of the two knots, on every test of both knots the flouro broke before with knot failed, so whichever knot you find easier to tie. The fg looks a little sleeker but I’ve never had a problem with the DU flowing throughthe the guides either
Old 03-20-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
A properly tied FG is about 30% stronger than an Alberto…
Yeah, the FG knot is the better of the two and it is what I tie when I am setting things up and have the time. I use the Alberto if I need to retie during a fast bite or the waves/wind makes it tougher to tie the FG.

SS

Old 03-20-2023, 07:36 AM

This method for the FG seems manageable. At least it seems plausible to tie in a boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPTzkep9xlI&t=288s

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-20-2023, 10:16 AM

Double uni....it does get a bit bulky with heavier line but I've never had a double uni fail and its an easy knot to tie even with cold fingers. I typically double over the braid side as well.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Great info on knots folks, not to derail but still kinda fits in the category so here goes.

Why not tie braid/flouro to a swivel then flouro to a swivel snap lure connection?

Also why is the flouro leader got to be 6 plus feet long?

Myself I tie braid/flouro to a swivel but the flouro is only about 24 inches long connected to a swivel snap lure connection.

I don't reel through the eyes on the rod that way.

But this coming from a guy who still uses metal leaders too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-20-2023, 11:45 AM

Other than the knot strength, what is the smallest or the smoothest knot in your experience.
I use Double Uni Knot now, everytime the knot passes the first guide ring, I can hear it. I'm so concerning the inner plastic/rubber ring will break much faster than it would without a knot.

Maybe I should use a shorter leader? How long do you normally have for the leader?
Old 03-20-2023, 11:47 AM

I use a long leader for situations where it is not a reaction bite. Slip bobbering, ned rigs, lindy rigging, etc. I also start long so when I lose some fluoro each time I retie a lure I still have a long enough leader that I don't need to redo the fluoro to braid knot as often.

SS

Old 03-20-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror View Post
Other than the knot strength, what is the smallest or the smoothest knot in your experience.
I use Double Uni Knot now, everytime the knot passes the first guide ring, I can hear it. I'm so concerning the inner plastic/rubber ring will break much faster than it would without a knot.

Maybe I should use a shorter leader? How long do you normally have for the leader?
That ring is extremely hard, the knot will not wear on it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-20-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Great info on knots folks, not to derail but still kinda fits in the category so here goes.

Why not tie braid/flouro to a swivel then flouro to a swivel snap lure connection?

Myself I tie braid/flouro to a swivel but the flouro is only about 24 inches long connected to a swivel snap lure connection.

Braid to swivel swivel to flouro then flouro to lure is 3 knots. Line direct to leader then leader to lure is 2 knots....1 less failure point.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Braid to swivel swivel to flouro then flouro to lure is 3 knots. Line direct to leader then leader to lure is 2 knots....1 less failure point.
Hey you poking fun at my knots

My failure point is the one holding the rod

I hear you on that one but why such long flouro leaders? Is it so you can just keep cutting and relying to lures and not worry about retrying flouro to the braid for some time?

Old 03-20-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Hey you poking fun at my knots

My failure point is the one holding the rod

I hear you on that one but why such long flouro leaders? Is it so you can just keep cutting and relying to lures and not worry about retrying flouro to the braid for some time?
Lol.
I run about 10-12 foot leaders for lake trout....about 4-6 feet for everything else. Longer leader will help with the finicky fish plus gives me lots of reties before it's too short.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I don't like the swivel connection because then on your flasher you see 2 marks....your swivel and your lure.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
I don't like the swivel connection because then on your flasher you see 2 marks....your swivel and your lure.

I hear ya on that one, when I first did that I was up and down thinking I had a chaser!
Duh!

And the other day we dropped a dead stick a large herring down, both of us where all over it as the sonar picked it up about 50 fow, we realized after a few reels up and dropping down that “Dead Fish Don’t Chase”

Never a dull moment fishing with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2023, 10:00 PM

FG knot is the preferred knot - very smooth and compact, very strong.

Even in ultra clear water, fishing for spooky trout a 4ft-5ft is usually plenty. Often times it's 3ft in typical "green prairie clear" water - lol.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:48 AM

I use a swivel for everything in the winter. Easier for me to tie fast with numb hands, and everything...I mean everything...puts twist into your line. Drop your T.C. Moto 5' down and watch what happens when you jig it.

I keep my leaders as long as possible so that when I reel things up to put the lure on the hook keeper the swivel is a just a few inches from the bail. That makes my leaders about 1.5X the length of my rod. Seems to work fine for me.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I use a swivel for everything in the winter. Easier for me to tie fast with numb hands, and everything...I mean everything...puts twist into your line. Drop your T.C. Moto 5' down and watch what happens when you jig it.

I keep my leaders as long as possible so that when I reel things up to put the lure on the hook keeper the swivel is a just a few inches from the bail. That makes my leaders about 1.5X the length of my rod. Seems to work fine for me.
Then you must have big eyes on your rod for the swivel to pass through, the swivel won’t go through many of mine. In the summer I’ll often put on 6-10 feet of flouro so the swivel is still a no go, plus the extra knot
Old 03-23-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Then you must have big eyes on your rod for the swivel to pass through, the swivel won’t go through many of mine. In the summer I’ll often put on 6-10 feet of flouro so the swivel is still a no go, plus the extra knot
On any decent rod, the size of the line guide eyes should be matched to it's intended use. Quality swivels also come with a weight rating. If you have a rod with tiny eyes, I would presume it's meant for smaller line/fish...use a commensurately small swivel. I run swivels as small as a bobber stop on my smallest rods. If we're talking about the summer, your rod is likely at least 6' and you should have absolutely no problem running a 6-10 foot fluoro leader with a swivel as I explained above.

As far as the extra knot goes if you are having enough knot failures that an extra knot concerns you, you have bigger issues that trying to include a swivel in your setup.

EDIT: I think in fairness in the summer though, even a small swivel could be an issue with casting. These dilemmas don't cross my mind sitting out in the middle of a frozen lake.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 03-23-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:50 AM

Double uniknot for me

The FG knot hurts my brain

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-23-2023, 12:54 PM

Alberto with crazy glue for me.

Whichever knot you choose practice, practice and practice some more. The best knot is the one you are comfortable and proficient with tying in different conditions. The best know will fail if it is not tied properly.

I practice my knot tying while watching TV. The way the Flames are playing this year gives me lots of time to tie my knots. Most often it's the hangman's knot this year.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:37 AM

After trying the FG knot I'll stick to the double uni I don't have the eyesight or enough fingers to tie one twice at my work bench let alone in a boat.

I use a small snap swivel on the lure end for crank baits, I tie lead heads on with a Palomar

"ouch"

fg-knot-2.jpg
Old 03-29-2023, 10:17 AM

I found another knot much easier to tie doesn't have a name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXcVfCRR0k
Old 03-30-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I found another knot much easier to tie doesn't have a name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXcVfCRR0k
very easy to tie.