Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 PM

Default First Time WildTV subscriber!

So I subscribed to WildTV this evening hoping to watch some Jim Shockey videos only to find there are no VOD's of his stuff. Bummer.

So what should I watch? What are the must see shows on there?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

canadian whitetail television and live2hunt are my two faves. dont know if codys stuff is available either. HCAB is pretty good too. canadian guide life with brad fry is another excellent show. the 4ce has some beauts too including the coolest moose charge on a a bowhunter ive ever seen.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 AM

IMO, 'the edge' has been putting out some watchable canuck stuff.
the guides life, Hcab.
The african stuff gets pretty 'cut and paste' after a while..
the list is longer of what to avoid, watching someone go off on a 135 whitetail. everyone wants to feel the romance of a hunt, but in the end its all about the bang-flop.
give it a month or two of hard work watching it and your soon separate the wheat from the weeds.
im still happy to have it.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM

My fave show seems to be missing. Live 2 Hunt, it was mentioned that sponsor issues? Still wish they was more North american species instead of all the food plot whitetails. More moose, bear, mulie sheep.
A few crappy shows and a few real good ones seems like a real TV channel
Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Without a doubt Relentless Pursuit is the most entertaining show. I have it set to record every episode. What Time Wells does with a bow is amazing, he uses no sights what so ever. His shows are pure entertainment, not meant to be an educational show and he says so every episode, but pure amazing what he can do.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 PM

Hope you like comercials.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Hope you like comercials.
No different than any other Canadian network. The CRTC mandates the number of minutes.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM

If I knew of a place with no commercials I would go there. Still though, it easy enough to skip over the commercials when watching the VODs.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

pvr (recording the shows whatever the acronym) is the only way to go, i've had it for years now, could live without it, its in the package so whatever, i still record the odd show for when i need a few minutes of redneck fix....just watched Jim Shockey's Professionals last night...first redneck show i've watched in a week....can't spell the name of the country azerberzion or something...tur (turr?) hunting....anyhow, i was in awe of the country they are hunted in, makes our rocky mountains look like little wee foothills....it was incredible, i wanted to be there badly...doesn't happen very often i see a show or place on a show that gets me going but seems to happen more with Jim's shows than any other, L2H was good too, haven't seen it for awhile though, unsure if its on or i just don't feel like setting a weekly timer for it when i do see it but Jim's stuff ahead of the rest imo

and Tim Wells(relentless pursuit) is awesome also, some of the shots i've watched him pull off with the bow over the years just blew me away, running game, the giant grizz or brown bear he ran up to when its head was down in wide open and stuffed it in the eye dropping it on the spot which likely a good thing or he was probably going to get a good mauling....anyhow, that shot is in the opening credits footage for his show but the episode was good

good enough variety to keep you going for a couple years as you get sick of watching one type of stuff you pvr a different set of shows etc. but i could not handle the commercials, i wouldn't be able to watch it live...
Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 AM

I like the Edge; father son stuff with Scott is awesome. Ryan also hunts in real world bow zone scenarios (same stuff I do...). I would image the budget for this one is fairly low comparable; but the videography is some of the best - excellent footage!

Proffessionals: the edit at the end is awesome!

Shocky's adventures: the stuff with his old man is priceless.

Relentless Pursuit: yes I agree, he is doing out of the box type stuff (some ethical issues for me - but very exciting) - this guy Tim Wells is as good as they get.

Anything with Fred Eichler also; an AMERICAN red neck, he always seems to get it done, the hard way (usually w/longbow and camera man, spot and stock - forget about it!!!) - very, VERY talented outdoorsmen!

Can't handle the long range and purely shooting shows, despite some amazing shots; not my cup of tea. (purely an opinion)

Sheep; I think the commercials are excessive for sure. The guys with the shows are doing it (WAY too much plugging for sponsors!), not the mandated CRTC minutes. I think hunting industy is becoming now more so a game of gimmicks/dollars/sponsors than golf. The good news, more gear and options available for the outdoorsmen, bad news; more commercials on your fav. show!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 AM

I really wish I could watch the Shockey shows but unfortunately I only have the online subscription and his show is not shown online.

The Edge has been real good so far.

Outdoor Quest TV has been good too.

I am trying to locate all the alberta vids and watch them.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:47 PM

There's one show on there that seems to focus on fly-in type or pack in hunts. It has Jim Shocky on it occassionally. I wish I could remember the name, it's a great show!

It often shows them setting camp, cooking and waiting out the rain. I love shows that focus on the whole hunt, not just the kill.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM

If you think of it Dan1 let me know. That sounds like the kind of show I would like.

That is one of the things I like about Outdoor Quest. They sometimes give you a peek into there camp life. I wish more shows would show how they dress the animals. I know you can't show that every episode but how cool would it be to see some of the more exotic animals field dressed.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No different than any other Canadian network. The CRTC mandates the number of minutes.
This might be but I know when I watch WFN the commercials seem shorter.

Just a question but do the commercials and speels the feature hosts count under the CRTC mandate? Like the Ziess and hornady ones that you guys do?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndHike View Post
If you think of it Dan1 let me know. That sounds like the kind of show I would like.

That is one of the things I like about Outdoor Quest. They sometimes give you a peek into there camp life. I wish more shows would show how they dress the animals. I know you can't show that every episode but how cool would it be to see some of the more exotic animals field dressed.
Yes I agree. I saw Ryan Kohler field dressing a whitetail doe. Yes he actually had blood on his hands!! It amazes me how many animals are loaded up without being field dressed or left overnight and in my opinion would bone sour.

Most shows are great , yes lots of commercials ,but PVR fixes that up. Now there is one called Jimmy Big time or something and i have no idea how it ever made the airwaves.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=MikeAndHike; I wish more shows would show how they dress the animals. .[/QUOTE]

Mike FYI,
If you go to the link below and select "Care of big game meat" video, it gives a pretty good demo of boning out a moose. Not an exotic and maybe not what you want........I thought it was a dated but decent video.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...dia.main#video
Old 04-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Thank you GunnerySGTJackson. That was a good video to watch. Not planning to try for a moose yet but maybe in a couple of years. Still I learned something so time well spent.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm liking the Pigman series at the moment.
One of the worst is the Coyote Kid.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=MikeAndHike;1415274]If you think of it Dan1 let me know. That sounds like the kind of show I would like.

./QUOTE]

I believe it's Primitive Instinct.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
pvr (recording the shows whatever the acronym) is the only way to go, i've had it for years now, could live without it, its in the package so whatever, i still record the odd show for when i need a few minutes of redneck fix....just watched Jim Shockey's Professionals last night...first redneck show i've watched in a week....can't spell the name of the country azerberzion or something...tur (turr?) hunting....anyhow, i was in awe of the country they are hunted in, makes our rocky mountains look like little wee foothills....it was incredible, i wanted to be there badly...doesn't happen very often i see a show or place on a show that gets me going but seems to happen more with Jim's shows than any other, L2H was good too, haven't seen it for awhile though, unsure if its on or i just don't feel like setting a weekly timer for it when i do see it but Jim's stuff ahead of the rest imo

and Tim Wells(relentless pursuit) is awesome also, some of the shots i've watched him pull off with the bow over the years just blew me away, running game, the giant grizz or brown bear he ran up to when its head was down in wide open and stuffed it in the eye dropping it on the spot which likely a good thing or he was probably going to get a good mauling....anyhow, that shot is in the opening credits footage for his show but the episode was good

good enough variety to keep you going for a couple years as you get sick of watching one type of stuff you pvr a different set of shows etc. but i could not handle the commercials, i wouldn't be able to watch it live...
Azerbaijan, Tajikistan,Kyrgyzstan, The hills i really want to climb are... Jenniferaniston