Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Default Calgary bow zone

Hey guys im on my way to calgary next week got a place rented finally. Plan on taking up bow hunting right away, always wanted to and now is the time...anyway what is the permission like in the calgary bow zone? dont know the area one tiny bit yet, since ive been down there once to rent our house. getting really nervous moving there new job, dont know where to hunt at all..lol just looking over some maps trying to figure some areas out..oh ya ill be living in the beddington area...anyway thanks for any info!
Darrell
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Pretty tough to get permission anywhere around a major center bow-zone.....but still worth trying.....

I was told once, "Son the more NO's you get.... the closer you are to a YES!"

LC
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Toughest permission in Alberta to obtain, in my opinion! A lot of long time hunters with great relationships and lots of influence! Chances are you'll run into a lot of , no's, we don't allow hunting , and sorry we have someone on and we don't want anyone else.

But it never hurts to ask, and try! I would start looking in outside the bow zone, luck might be better with the 20 min extra drive!

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM

lots of farmers south of airdrie giving permission, try up by cross iron mall.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck71 View Post
Hey guys im on my way to calgary next week got a place rented finally. Plan on taking up bow hunting right away, always wanted to and now is the time...anyway what is the permission like in the calgary bow zone? dont know the area one tiny bit yet, since ive been down there once to rent our house. getting really nervous moving there new job, dont know where to hunt at all..lol just looking over some maps trying to figure some areas out..oh ya ill be living in the beddington area...anyway thanks for any info!
Darrell
Nothing like hunting in yuppy land....get as far away as you can,unless you like looking at the glow a polluted city while your sitting in your tree stand....if u call that hunting fill your boots.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM

well I personally think it's one of the best places to hunt! lots of big Bucks, all kinds of game , everything but bighornsheep and antelope. Plus I get to hunt more, because I can hunt right after work, with a short drive. plus you save on gas. lots of places no one gets to hunt, and that s ok because it gives the deer a refuge, a place to grow big racks. and in November all deer will travel looking for does. And thats your chance at a true throphy. Yes it real had to get that permission, but once you get it your set. Oh ya, one more thing you don't need any draws, all tags are general. Just my two cents.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
well I personally think it's one of the best places to hunt! lots of big Bucks, all kinds of game , everything but bighornsheep and antelope. Plus I get to hunt more, because I can hunt right after work, with a short drive. plus you save on gas. lots of places no one gets to hunt, and that s ok because it gives the deer a refuge, a place to grow big racks. and in November all deer will travel looking for does. And thats your chance at a true throphy. Yes it real had to get that permission, but once you get it your set. Oh ya, one more thing you don't need any draws, all tags are general. Just my two cents.
I wouldn't say it's the best!! , but you are right, the quick drive before after work make it fun!

Btw....I have seen antelope in the bow zone!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Get out now and start looking for places to shoot gophers...make friends with the landowners that way and you'll get permission for a few spots.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM

Default gophers

Thanks guys i thought it would be hard for the permission, but being all new down there it will be fun exploring new areas and talking to as many farm owners as possible. I was planning on going out when i get down there to look for some gophers and meet some new people..thanks again
Darrell
Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 PM

you might have more success in the northern part of the zone compared to south of Calgary, and would be quicker from Beddington. Also think about 312, west of Cochrane etc.