Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Default Ontario turkey down

Well I can't believe I actually got alittle sleep before the QUEEN woke me up at 4:45 am!
All my equuip. was ready and just had to throw on my clothes and out the door I went at 5.
Made it to my spot with plenty of darkness left and where I have been seeing 2 toms for the past week with 3 hens. As light started to appear in the sky and I sat there anticapating my first GOBBLES of the season and nothing, so I waited alittle more before doing some soft calling and still nothing.25 mins into light I finally got a hen to answer and she pitched from the tree 100 or so yrds away and landed 10 yrds infront of me and I thought this is gonna be perfect as she passed by. But still NO gobbles or bearded birds showed themselves after 1 1/2 hrs.
RUNNING N GUNNING TIME!

Went to location #2 and just as I sat down 4 hens appeared in the field 75 yrds infront of me, and still No gobbles or beards to be seen so off I go again to spot #3 after picking up a Timmies.

I make the 20 min trek into a known spot that I knew they frequent over the years to give it a go. Get settled in and started on the paddle call afew times and then hit the mouth call and out of the corner of my eye I catch a brite red head standing there, he came in silent. I ease the gun to my shoulder and then look for a beard and once I spotted it I let the Federal Flight Control #6 fly and my bird was down at 11 am.
Around 15 lbs
3 1/4" beard
1/4" spurs
pic to follow
Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Looking forward to the photos SW.....Is your brother heading back for a spring gobbler hunt with you and your dad this spring or is he just concentrating on some bear action out here this spring?

Congrats on another successful bird hunt for you......Marco
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
Looking forward to the photos SW.....Is your brother heading back for a spring gobbler hunt with you and your dad this spring or is he just concentrating on some bear action out here this spring?

Congrats on another successful bird hunt for you......Marco
He is comming home for a visit, but it won't be for turkeys this year.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Nice...........love those Ontario hardwoods. I'm in Camp Borden right now (without guns or gear). I was thinking turkey though while running some trail on the base.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM

Nice bird. I've had a few jakes come in silently guess they don't want a fight. What part of Ontario are you in?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHMS View Post
Nice bird. I've had a few jakes come in silently guess they don't want a fight. What part of Ontario are you in?
Southern Ontario
45 mins SW of Niagara Falls