Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Rubber Ducky

Default 308 Norma Magnum

Hi Guys,

Does anybody here hunt with a rifle chambered for a 308 Norma Magnum? If so where do you buy your ammo and what are the typical loads? Would reloading be a better option?

I'm thinking of upgrading to heavier calibre for elk and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky

p.s. I've been bitten by the elk bug and I don't want to hunt anything else
Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Dick284

Better gun shops carry ammo, it's loaded by Norma, and it's typically 180gr. fodder, and it's also $55.00/20 or more.
Reloading for the caliber is a piece of cake. Get your dies, some 7mm Rem. Mag. brass, a couple of loading manuals, and voila, you'll be able to do anything a 300Win. Mag. can do.
If your a hard core Elkoholic, look at controlled expansion bullets, of 180gr. or heavier. ie: Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Swift A-Frames and the like.
Might even think about the 200gr. Accubond's as well.
Good luck.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:51 PM
cmfic1

Although I like the Norma, you may be better suited getting a .300 Win. Mag. Not saying it is better, just more "User friendly", as far as Brass & reloading go. Plus, its highly popular, and you are likely to find ammo for the WM, at most Walmart/Crappy tire etc. type stores.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Grizzly Adams

The .308 Norma came about as a way to get Magnum performance out of surplus 30/06 rifles, When the supply dried up and the .300 Win. came along, it kind of faded away. There is also a version that uses .311 bullets for P 14 type rifles. Easy to make brass for and handload.
Grizz
Old 01-28-2007, 01:01 PM
BCPro

I have one and love it. The factory ammo is very expensive (70 per20) and so is the brass but great quality. I reload with Norma brass and use 165gr. Sierra HPBT or 165gr. Hornaday SST they work great for deer, bear, moose up to 300yards. I haven't shot an elk with it but would.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Rubber Ducky

Thanks Guys,

If all goes well, I should have my rifle by mid summer.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky
Old 01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
needmoretoys

The Wild West Shooting range in West Edmonton Mall is a Norma dealer. I have one and it is great. The rifle is about 40 yearsold and shoots like new. With a 180 gr you can punch through 3/8" plate at 250yds. Great gun, just not cheap to shoot.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Okotokian

Norma Magnum? Wasn't she the featured dancer at the French Maid last week? :lol