Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Andrzej77

Default Barnes MRX 160 grain for 7mmSTW

Anyone used this bullet ? Performance on game, accuracy?
This is the next step from TSX Barnes -blue tipped bullet with silvex bonded core....
Any loading tips for 7 STW, expierience in other calibers...I posted similar tread on CGN forum with no response...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 PM
varmitr

i got my moose this fall with my bro's 7rum with 160 accubonds. at 60 yards it was a real test of 'nothing'.
i think he is planning to go w 140gr accubonds and go the flatliner effect.
on the first shot thru the chrono, the 7rum blew the chrono right of the tripod, ripped the sunshades to shreds and smashed the crappage out of it...leave lotsa room between the muzzle and chrony, like 20 ' or more
oh and if the grass is dry, wet it down if your shooting prone, you dont want to start any fires:rollin
Old 01-27-2007, 12:39 AM
nube

I shoot 140 tsx at 3470. RL 22 for powder. It shoots very flat and have killed a lot of critters at 450+ yards. It makes long distance yote hunting fun
Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 PM
cmfic1

I use roughly the same load as nube. But this Spring/Summer, I want to try a few different Powders, with some higher BC Bullets.

prairieboy, who frequents this Forum quite often (although, havent seen him around much lately) has quite a bit of experience with the STW.

Although I love the X family of Bullets, they will have to come down in price, before I shoot them. They have them priced just a tad bit over the top.

Heres a link, with several loads, remember work up slowly, if your trying to duplicate what is written. Hope you find one that works.

themwww.reloadersnest.com/fro...liberID=44
Old 01-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Andrzej77

Thanx for replying everybody
My best load -Barnes TSX BT 140 gr H1000 84 gr.at 3450ft/s
I am working 160 gr.load now and I started this a few years ago with my custom rifle Gaillard barrel ....now my Sako 75 in 7 STW is slower so working loads again...and I am sold on performance of premium bullets.For testing I will use Hornady SST as their BC of 0.55 is identical to Barnes MRX bullets 0.552.Once I have good group and velocity then will load MRX and start couple grains bellow this load.
In 162 Grain Hornady V-Max BC is 0.625 !!! but they recomend to shoot them from barrel with fast twist of 1-8"...and both my rifles are 1-10"..
MRX bullets are $1.60 each so not for plinking for shure but they should work better then TSX at short distance - open wider and not loose their petals...and at slower velocity at long range will open better due to delron tip...
I shot bear with 140 TSX at 60 paces in thick cover and this bullet carved 1" groove in 4" brunch just before piercing his neck...I like their performance and fact that there is minimal meat damage...
Old 01-28-2007, 01:42 PM
prairieboy

I load only 140gr bullets in my two 7mmstws and if I wanted to hunt all big game with one bullet,it would be the 140gr tsx.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Andrzej77

Prairieboy... What is yours Pet load for 140 grains TSX...I like their perfomance but tought that 160 grains will do better on elk and moose
Andrew