Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 PM
supersniper

Default a dangerous encounter with a big badger

it was a brisky spring morning when i was out checking the chickens, upon arrival to the chicken coop I instantly noticed that the birds were making sounds distress noises at the other end of the over 75 foot coop. As I made my way towards the other end of the coop I noticed that about 30 to 40 feet down from the front door of the shed was a what I would later find out to be an over forty-five pound badger. I quickly made my way back the way I had came and darted for my winchester .223 and quickly slid three rounds into the clip and bringing one up into the chamber. Upon darting for the door and making it 20 feet down the long dark shed the badger let out a loud snarl and darted right towards me. Bringing the open sight rifle up to eye I let a round blast out of the barrel and into the head of the animal bringing to the ground.

another story brought to you by the supersniper:hat
Old 01-21-2007, 10:23 PM
COOL

Default COOL

Good thing you had your gun handy any pictures to follow??
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 PM
varmitr

just imagine if a badger (or any member of the weasel family) for that matter, wasnt any bigger., we would be scared to go outside.
maybe that would make a premise for a stephan king made-for-tv movie...
Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Reeves01

Badger at my place took out all my breeder Quail. About 1k in damages.
Never did come back. Good thing, as the Pheasants are worth a lot more !
Nasty buggers !
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 AM
bigbore

that brings up close call memories while hunting gophers on my uncles old farm fields.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
BeerSlayer1

I was hunting in the sandhills of S. Saskatchewan about fifteen years ago when I came accross a small, dead, mulie buck. Someone must have shot and lost it. It had been dead for a couple of days (I was hunting does on a Monday, bucks ended the previous Saturday) and I continued on my way. The next day I was back in the area and decided to check on the buck and see if the yotes had found it. They hadn't, but a badger had claimed it and had covered the entire deer with sand. The only parts still visible were the head, neck and front legs. I would have loved to have seen a coyote come and try to battle the badger for that deer. Which one do you think would win that fight?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Blakeinator2

This could be going back and maybe someone else has seen this and or could correct me if i'm wrong but...along time ago on t.v. i watched some wildlife show and it had a badger that got cornered by a wolverine with two young uns with her. Try as they might, they couldn't kill that badger, the badger just kept his arse backed into the rocks(it was almost like a rock step with a bit of a 'v' in it...and probably near 2' high as their were wolverines above and in front of this thing trying to kill it. It went on for quite some time and there was definitely some fur flying but the wolverines gave up eventually and moved on.

Thats tough, don't think the coyotes would even look a badger in the eye for fear of being turned to stone instantly:lol , my money would be on the badger(even if the coyote brought friend...in fact they probably already tried the badger on before you got back there).

B
Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Delburnedave

That kind of makes me wonder what part of the world has the territories of badgers and wolverines overlapping. Probably an extremely rare occurance for them to encounter each other in the wild. Even more rare to catch it on film.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 PM
loggrlee

Has anyone else heard an old story about a badger being snared with a rope. Got back down the hole and they could not pull it out. Brought in a horse and the horse could not pull the badger out.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Re: a dangerous encounter with a big badger

One time i was driving on Hwy 13 just west of Wetaskiwin and i saw a coyote dodging around at top speed. I pulled over and put up the binos and watched for the next 35 min. A large badger was waddling through the stubble field seemingly unconcerned with life and this coyote was going crazy chasing it, he would come roaring in from the back with teeth bared and mouth open and when he would get about 1 millimeter away that badger would turn slightly and look at him and the coyote would turn inside out and flip over backwards trying to get away only to come back in. All it took was a look from the ol badger and the coyote just didnt have the guts for it i guess?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 PM
cmfic1

A couple nights ago, the Driller on the Rig here (N. BC), was headed over by the garbage bin to take a leak. He gets about 15' from the bin, and a Wolverine comes flying over the side, he was inside dining on some Camp slop. Wolverine charges off into the Trees, Driller charges off into Pumphouse...Wonder if said Driller still had to leak after that, or if he got the job done with coveralls still done up?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:42 AM
varmitr

Default coy vs badg

apparently it is not uncommon to see these two working the gopher feild together, not in a host/ parasite relationship, but more of a semi-compatible one were the tunneller goes and the yote digs in from the 'other end'.
i witnessed it down by Olds then studyed up on it after that.
magpies and yotes, have this same relationship, herons and puddle ducks are another
id love to get my hands on a wolverine (not the X-men kind )
Old 01-28-2007, 12:49 AM
cmfic1

Default Re: coy vs badg

Funny thing I just remembered. Years ago when you still had to write for a Guides liscence here in AB. One question on there was something along the lines of "Name 5 fur-bearing anaimals" in Ab. I listed the Wolverine as one. To my surprise I got it wrong.....The CO told me "You got it wrong, 'cause there are no Wolverines in AB":eek
Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Reeves01

Default Re: coy vs badg

CO got it wrong, as I've seen them Alberta as far back as the early 80s.