Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 11:53 PM

Default new hunter where do i start

hey guys new to alberta hunting ive done it in new brunswick but its a bit different there as in you go buy a license at a gas station an ur good to go i have some private property i can hunt on an there is deer there
good calber? ive used 223 but cant here lol thanks guys n gals
Old 05-02-2015, 12:02 AM

Huh?
Only question I got out of that was what "calber" to use.
Check out the alberta hunting regulations.
It will give you a good start.
Why can't you use a .223 here?
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun.../gameregs.html

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html
Old 05-02-2015, 12:10 AM

i was told i need a win number an cant use 223 cuz its not humane lol an is the win# also my tag? do i need a tag for the area i plan on hunting?
Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 AM

First I would suggest you read and re-read the regulations once they come out. There are lots of province wide regulations but each WMU can have its own special regulations and dates. If you have private land you are good to go once the licenses and tags are available and that WMU is open. For "big game animals" you must not use "ammunition of less than .23 calibre" however the .223 is fine for anything else with the exception of migratory birds.
You will also need to apply for a WIN card and show proof of taking a hunters ed course. You WIN number is just an ID number, you must also purchase a wildlife certificate (your general hunting license) and a license and tag for the species of big game you plan to hunt. If you wish to hunt game birds you will need your game bird license. You can add your federal Migratory License if your hunting ducks or geese.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."

Last edited by ghostguy6; 05-02-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 AM

I'd say hitting the books, and asking more precise questions is a great first step.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Banned

Where to begin? If all you had to do was stop by your local gas station and buy a license where you used to live, your in for a shock. First thing you need is a win# and you might have to satisfy some resident requirements before you proceed. Keep us informed how things go for you.
If worse comes to worse you might have to get someone to "host" you for awhile before you satisfy all the requirements needed to get your own resident licence. Good luck.
By the way, what part of AB are you now living in?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Banned

When I first moved here from Manitoba I ask a very good moose hunter where to go to hunt moose, his answer "Outside" lol . That was the only advice he was willing to give me, still laughing about it, and have killed many moose and deer since!

Which part of Alberta are you in?

Last edited by edmhunter; 05-02-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:40 AM

A win # is just a plastic card you need before you can buy hunting or fishing licenses. You will still need to buy tags for each animal you plan on hunting (along with a wildlife certificate and bowhunting permit if you bowhunt). You can't purchase any tags until you have your win # (or card). You need to go to a license issuer and prove you're an Alberta resident in order to get a win #, once you have applied you will receive the win card in the mail. With the win card you go back to license issuer and get your tags come hunting season.

Like has been stated above, don't do any hunting until you have read the regulations front to back...twice.

As for caliber...everyone knows the 30-06 is the best of the best all around caliber
Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM

If you are a resident of alberta, i would recommend talking to AHEIA
( alberta hunter education instructor association) and booking a hunter education course. I May be wrong but im pretty sure they changed it so you have to have a certificate and number to apply for your wildlife certificate. As for your rifle question. No you cannot use .22 cal or less. Dont forget our deer are much bigger than the ones you get back home. You can use .243 but i wouldnt go any less than 25-06. Get all the information you can, and understand it.
Good luck!
Old 05-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Default First time

I would go stock up at Safeway sounds like you might starve.cheers
Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelheadtn@hotmail.com View Post
I would go stock up at Safeway sounds like you might starve.cheers
No way, I'm gonna help !

1st, purchase trail camera,

2nd, find location of Food Bank in yellow Pages,,

3rd,set up trail cam near Food Bank

4th, monitor trail cam for opening hours of Food Bank,

Old 05-02-2015, 04:46 PM

Default Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
A win # is just a plastic card you need before you can buy hunting or fishing licenses. You will still need to buy tags for each animal you plan on hunting (along with a wildlife certificate and bowhunting permit if you bowhunt). You can't purchase any tags until you have your win # (or card). You need to go to a license issuer and prove you're an Alberta resident in order to get a win #, once you have applied you will receive the win card in the mail. With the win card you go back to license issuer and get your tags come hunting season.

Like has been stated above, don't do any hunting until you have read the regulations front to back...twice.

As for caliber...everyone knows the 30-06 is the best of the best all around caliber
Besides the calibre, that's good info for anyone as a new hunter to Alberta. You can go online to Alberta realm or my wild Alberta which wil give a lot of information and links to other pertinent info.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

You don't need to be an AB resident to get your win#. You can get it anytime you want, sooner the better because you'll need it even for a fishing license.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:56 PM

thanks im in edmonton
Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 AM
Banned

Get a Win
Old 05-03-2015, 07:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
thanks im in edmonton
I would be happy to assist you, I know what it's like because when I moved here in 2000, I didn't know anything about Alberta or anyone but I have done pretty good for myself.

Feel free to send me a PM, if you like.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hunter education course for starts.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-03-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
hey guys new to alberta hunting ive done it in new brunswick but its a bit different there as in you go buy a license at a gas station an ur good to go i have some private property i can hunt on an there is deer there
good calber? ive used 223 but cant here lol thanks guys n gals
Well hunting here is pretty much the same as there. Differences.
Here you need a WIN card, this is not your hunting licence.
They're are multiple WMU' " wildlife management zones
Each one has different hunting opening dates etc. so make sure you read every single one and carry your book with you.
Make sure you know your wildlife, ie: Mulie doe vs Whitetaile doe, differences.
Permission on private land, knock on doors, don't assume you can. EVER

The wmu's here can be difficult to figure out so you should go with someone who knows and understands the Wmu's, it's still your responsibility in the end to know where you are, watch for wildlife corridors etc.
Alberta is a beautiful place to hunt or fish in but there are also a lot of hunter and fisher people compared to New Brunswick.
Mind you p"s and q"s and you should be ok.
Have fun
Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Hey all. I'll be moving to Red Deer/Sylvan Lake area in a few weeks from New Brunswick as well. I have an NB hunter safety course, and have previously help NB licences. I have applied for a WIN card, and its on it's way now. Is there anything I have to do in regards to my Nb hunter safety course and all that (transfer it to alberta, get an alberta hunter course) or will my NB one be good for Alberta as well?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2015, 06:56 PM

They talked about this back in 2012...... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=161762