Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM

I go with cut and paste on the last pic.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 PM

Smile Pigeon Lake and Coal Lake

Yes, I have been fishing these crazy lakes for over 20 years both Coal Lake and Pigeon Lake in Alberta, Canada... The Northern Pike in Coal Lake is pretty small but in Pigeon Lake, I have heard that Fish and Game caught a 44 lbs. pike in the inlet. I am still hoping for that big lady to bite my hook
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Smile big pike

I don't want to sound like a dreamer but I have caught pike like that with a smaller one on and a big one comes out of the deep. 20 years ago me and some of my fishing buds were fishing in Cyrstine Lake (excuse my spelling) in northern Alberta where I landed an 18 pounder that had fresh bit marks in it and I dropped my line down for a second try with my largest like a foot long red devil on and I caught a submarine, never did get it up but it took line like a spring samon and snapped my brand new 20lb test like it was 2 pound. It takes alot of skill to land a cold water monster. I scuba dive and have herd some crazy stories of commercial divers doing inspection work on damns in Sask. bumping into what they thought were logs only to put the light on them to see 4 foot pike swimming past freek them out and right out of the water. So quit possible these pics are from some wheres else like Europe but I sure would have liked to see what was tring to eat that 18 pound pike. There is alot of water out there in Canada and I would like to believe that we have a few monsters out there too.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 PM

as for pike attacking the side of a caught fish; happened to me last summer on a mid-lake hump in pigeon. was landing a 17" eye when a monster (well 18ish lber) came in and tried to chizzle the eye from me. I tell you, when you get that kind of extra weight on your line, mid retrieve, i thought i was wrapped in the trolling motor. i got the walleye out of the water and half of the pike up before it let go.
cheers
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Boy do I have a fish tale for you guys! On Travers this summer I caught an absolute monster pike that I couldn't reel in and had to drive the trolling motor to to even get her to the boat. My dad and a family friend were on the boat and started freaking for me to cut the line. I was hell bent on at least a picture. Well after a very long hard battle we soon found out she didnt even come close to fitting in the net. We tried a random effort of her tail in the net and me lifting her head..... Damn near took me in the water. Dave was terrified and not helping us out so we tried to get him to take a pic of her in the water beside the boat, he dropped my dad's camera in the lake! So I went to get my camera and my dad was in charge of the fish.....she rolled, he freaked and she got away!! Cants say how much we weighed but she was longer than my armspan, so at least 5'3" long. My heart has never pounded so hard fishing, ever.

Oh the one that got away!

Danni
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
Here is a pic i came across from this website

http://pacnews.blogspot.com/2007/03/...ess-event.html

This lucky lady in the UK, landed this 39lbs 8oz

Aweeee man... throw her back, but that bad boyz fillets will feed BBJ, John inAB and myself on June 14th!!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM

It's funny this picture was posted. I was out fishing yesterday for a few hours when my neighbor (from down the street) showed up. We got talking and he invited me into his shack where I noticed the same picture posted on the wall in his shack. I asked him about it and he claims that the picuture is actually his son in law!!! The fish came out of a lake in North East Saskatchewan in 2007. He couldn't remember the name of the lake so he was going to phone him last night and let me know. I will follow up on this for everybody.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Sorry, forgot to add it was 44lbs not 55lbs.
More to come...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Default The Rest of the Story

Here is a link to the real story and fish.

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/articles/blomedit.htm

Alex Kreis
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM

From Pike An In Fisherman with Al Linder 96lb from Broadwood Lk Ireland,River Shannon 92lb 1822 Ireland,River Shannon 92lb 1839,Lough Derg Ireland 90lb-8oz 1862-trolling,River Shannon 90lb+ 1926,Ilman Lk USSR-75lbs 1930,72lb Scotland Loch Ken 1774,+69lb-8oz from Germany River Rhine in 1850.......many others in the 50-60lb class...................Harold
Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM

the first two are no question from europe, ireland, u.k, netherlands or some where in the baltic states. they also have huge fish that are almost genetically identical to walleye but are called zander. as for the third one who knows where but i can tell you from growing up in northern ontario that it is in all likelyhood a true photo. i have countless times saw big northerns rise from the depths and attack walleye and small hammerhands. sometimes landing them as well.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM

I had a walleye on one time, and I had a big pik ecome along and take it broadside like that. Though, mine was not quite that big... maybe 20-25 lbs.... never landed the pike, just hte walley.... teeth marks on the sides....
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 PM

after seeing those pictures i had to change my pants... holy ****.. i....mmmmm... WOW....
Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 AM

i hear this fish was from hasse lake and the guy caught it MacGuyver style with a hook he made out of a bent nail and a chewing gum wrapper. spearmint i think it was or maybe wintergreen. what happened was the sticklebacks in hasse attacked the wrapper causing such a commotion that a perch came and got the hook caught in his gills. as it struggled to get free it was nailed from behind by a 3 pound rainbow, which then came right to the surface and lept 4 feet in the air only to land right infront of a 36" pike (the smaller one in the photo) and get eaten by said pike. as this pike struggled to get away the angler then finished writing his 5th novel which later won him the nobel prize. as he put the finishing words down on the paper there was an erruption in the lake and the 36" pike met its maker in the jaws of this monster pike aka the Hasse Lake Leviathan which was earlier rumoured to have eaten 3 small children swimming around the dock and half of a belly boat. when completing the mount of this gigantic pike the taxidermist found human teeth which dental records later proved belonged to one James (Jimmy) Hoffa.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 AM

actually i heard the same thing that it was from rainy lake.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 AM

Default Jimmy Hoffa

Hey Hittheice, that's a classic. I love a good Fish Story.

Jimmy Hoffa, I love it. That puts an end to a few myths
Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 AM

when you figure out where it was caught, let us know, Im booking the next flight! Ive caught pike over 30 inches with fresh bite marks, thats why I wont swim in those lakes!!! Just in case I lose the speedo!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 AM

"My name is Ewout Blom, I'm 27 years old and was born in Rotterdam. At the moment I live in Ijmuiden (close to Amsterdam) "

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/articles/blomedit.htm

If you go up to the response from Alex K and follow the link it shows the pic of the guy with the Pike the above is from that article
the pike was 42.9 and all he says is he caught it in a big lake. so It will be hard to find out where in Europe? Now the pic of the one eating the other that is from somewheres else?? Either way it would be bragging rights. My dads personnal best is a 26 lb er caught on a 5 lb pike. big bait equals big fish. We just need a 3 foot plug to get the big ones.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Default cv

lol, that pike was from Crawling Valley, lol
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM

At Keho lake a few years ago, we were trying out a new boat we wanted to see what the boats draft was. As we were playing around getting close to shore I looked down to see a big five of diamonds lure stuck in a log? in the weeds. When I reached down to grab it-- the log turned and swam away Biggest one I've seen.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
Thanks for posting this link stormy, I read his exact story which is indeed the legitimate story several months ago but could not find again, it was driving me NUTS!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstar View Post
"My name is Ewout Blom, I'm 27 years old and was born in Rotterdam. At the moment I live in Ijmuiden (close to Amsterdam) "

It will be hard to find out where in Europe?
Yup, I read in an "In Fisherman magazine" special pike and muskie issue that the pike came from Holland. Ewout does live near Amsterdam...
Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Banned

ha ha ha....lemme guess....he reeled it in with the rod that is sitting right next to him in the boat to ....lol
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Is it me, or does that lady look like the chick off of Royal Canadian Air Farce?

It's just you.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

Default big pike

............i know a shudn't do this 'cause i'll be called for bulls****ting.
this story is the gospel truth, even tho i don't have a pic for u.

several years ago, i was belly boating for rainbows on Diefenbaker lake in southern Sask. i was using a 5 weight fly rod and had a 6 pound leader on, with a brown wet fly about 3/4 of an inch long. same old story......i thought i'd snagged on something, until it started to move.

now the amazing part....after 45 min. i finally got a look at what was on the other end of the line and it was the second largest pike i've ever caught. my friend helped me catch it (by hand of course, as we only had a small trout net). we measured it while it was lying in the water and it was '48 inches long.

my buddy picked it up in his arms and we headed for shore to take some pics, but before we got there, the fish threw a fit and he wasn't strong enough to hold it.

when i heard the commotion, i looked around just in time to see the fish going back into the lake, which is where it was going anyway, i just wish it wud have waited until we took som pics.

there are some monster pike in that lake, if anyone wants to go somewhere where theres a chance of getting the BIG one.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM

monster pike, monster rainbow, monster burbot, and that's in the lake. Around the edges are monster mules and monster whitetail. And to the North monster geese in monster numbers. Did I mention the Pronghorn, prairie chicken and to the east monster ducks.

Applying for a health card at the end of the month with a vehicle inspection end of June. Should have a few weeks scouting the neighbourhood before muley bow opens. Then it's geese, then rifle whitetail, with a whole bunch of Defienbaker in between.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Banned

Default big fish

....i'm envious......spent almost 40 yrs in Sask and didn't pick 'spoiledsaskhunter' by accident. now living in s. ab. and am trying to get used to calling 140 class whitetails 'monster'. oh well, the wife is happy we live here now!!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM

wow, thats a huge pike
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post
I have a hard time believing pic # 3 is legit. I've never seen a fish grab another sideways like that.
You my friend need to fish for big fish then,

I was with a friend from AO, He used a huge Rapala Maybe 13 inchs and the Lake trout HIt it on a "T" Bone Just like the picture.

If trout do I believe Pike do it! LOL
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Stormy is right it is from Holland

The Old World is in the 90# plus in the 1890's . in book called Pike you can get at a Alberta library/Fishing Hole had years ago i think Al Lindner wrote

current is the 55#1

I held the North America World Record for Ice fishing at 32#5 from Fickle lake for 21 years and it was broken in 2006 by Gerald Tkachuk of Hinton too with a 33#2oz beauty from Fickle lake

Sat at AFGA dinner in 1984 with David Anderson current Alberta Record holder

here is mine mounted and a couple Eurpean pike enjoy
32#5 Pike.jpg

European_Pike.jpg

salty-picture pike Europe.jpg