Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 12:31 PM

Yes. It would only be on private land of people I know well that would be ok with it. It’s just a thought
Old 12-05-2022, 10:12 AM

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on an Alaknak 10x10 yesterday, cannot wait for deer camp 2023! hopefully my brother will be able to fly up and join me. Anyone on here use the Alaknak? I have heard mixed reviews, especially for the latest versions some say they leak....
Old 02-06-2023, 11:02 PM

Default Alaknak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on an Alaknak 10x10 yesterday, cannot wait for deer camp 2023! hopefully my brother will be able to fly up and join me. Anyone on here use the Alaknak? I have heard mixed reviews, especially for the latest versions some say they leak....
A buddy and I picked up the 12x12 last year. Spent 5 or 6 nights in it last Nov, when we were getting o/n temps sub -20. Worked well, but you gotta feed that stove. I love the space, and getting up off a cot beats the ground every time. Haven't tested it in any real precipitation.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleve031 View Post
A buddy and I picked up the 12x12 last year. Spent 5 or 6 nights in it last Nov, when we were getting o/n temps sub -20. Worked well, but you gotta feed that stove. I love the space, and getting up off a cot beats the ground every time. Haven't tested it in any real precipitation.
Thanks for your reply! I actually just purchased a diesel heater, will receive it today actually. Bought a group 24 deep cycle battery to go with it, this will keep it comfortable even after the stove goes out. I am pretty confident i can get 2 nights out of the battery on a full charge if running at lower settings.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! I actually just purchased a diesel heater, will receive it today actually. Bought a group 24 deep cycle battery to go with it, this will keep it comfortable even after the stove goes out. I am pretty confident i can get 2 nights out of the battery on a full charge if running at lower settings.
LOL. Great minds ... another buddy recently picked up a diesel heater. We were talking about Buddy Heaters and the like, as a way of keeping a constant level of heat, at least enough to keep the edge off. Haven't tried it yet. I'm too chicken to head back out before Spring.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
A high quality sleeping bag and an all season tent and you can do anything
He doesn’t even need all season if he’s below tree line. The MEC Camper 2 or MSR Elixir 2 would work well.

To the OP. If you have a pickup truck I’d buy a used capper and use your cot in the back with a foam pad and sleeping bag. Then pick up one of these heaters to run all night. For me I’d cut a hole in the capper to vent the heater properly. Or maybe pop out a window and put in plywood. Whatever’s easier. Make sure you get a CO detector if you go this route.

https://m.vevor.ca/diesel-heater-c_1...hoCqcwQAvD_BwE
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 02-11-2023, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Nice! Maybe grab a good sized solar panel to charge the battery.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 02-14-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Nice! Maybe grab a good sized solar panel to charge the battery.
yeah, thought about it, it wouldn't get much sun in the location where i camp, plus my pickup truck is getting full with all the hardware! Gave the diesel heater a test drive on the ice this weekend and I really like it!
Old 02-16-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
If you haven't used it yet, I'd think about swapping it for the 12x12 - the extra space allows a 3rd cot and more gear.

I've used the alaknak for 10+ years. They are great, affordable and lightweight option for a wall tent. Easy to put up. The vestibule is a nice addition if the weather sucks. I have a couple of spots that are remote and we hike in just with the tent and we have made poles out of saplings. Makes a great spike camp.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
If you haven't used it yet, I'd think about swapping it for the 12x12 - the extra space allows a 3rd cot and more gear.

I've used the alaknak for 10+ years. They are great, affordable and lightweight option for a wall tent. Easy to put up. The vestibule is a nice addition if the weather sucks. I have a couple of spots that are remote and we hike in just with the tent and we have made poles out of saplings. Makes a great spike camp.
i bought it used, I mostly hunt solo so its perfect for me.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
i bought it used, I mostly hunt solo so its perfect for me.
10x10 super comfy for yourself.

In my experience the more you dial up the Basecamp with comfy gear, the more you enjoy staying out longer. Good sleeping gear , nice cookstation, woodstove, etc. Bear fence if your worried about critters.

I don't drink much these days but I take the best bottle of bourbon I can find and look forward to a glass every night. And great food. Salmon, steaks, ....
Old 02-16-2023, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=nelsonob1;

In my experience the more you dial up the Basecamp with comfy gear, the more you enjoy staying out longer. Good sleeping gear , nice cookstation, woodstove, etc. Bear fence if your worried about critters.

I don't drink much these days but I take the best bottle of bourbon I can find and look forward to a glass every night. And great food. Salmon, steaks, ....[/QUOTE]

Have to agree. Have a pre scout camping weekend & cut a bunch of wood, figure where the biffy's going, where the saddles & packsaddles are hung, where the food rail is going, etc. Get as ready as possible, as comfy as possible, & be ready to roll early & hunt long & late.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-17-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Have to agree. Have a pre scout camping weekend & cut a bunch of wood, figure where the biffy's going, where the saddles & packsaddles are hung, where the food rail is going, etc. Get as ready as possible, as comfy as possible, & be ready to roll early & hunt long & late.
Thank you for all the suggestions guys! Every year I learn from my mistakes and am more comfortable, the diesel heater addition will surely add to that. I am a wine guy so keeping that from freezing is kind of tricky, but it can be done!
Old 02-17-2023, 10:05 AM

Aragor, just add alittle vodka/ethanol to your wine bottle, it will not freeze and you will sleep better.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:50 AM

Let me revive this thread since it has served me so well over the past few years. After 2 years of planning i finally made it happen this year, it wasnt easy but i convinced my 71 year old dad and brother from NB to come hunt and camp with me this year. We spent 2 nights in my 10x10 Alaknak tent and it was great. We got a bit unlucky hunting wise but it doesnt matter, spending time like this with my father was priceless. He even got a buck on his final day here so it all came together in the end. Thank you all for the tips. I ran my woodstove + diesel heater and we were very comfy, the heater allowed us to stay warm even if the fire went out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2023, 10:00 AM

Very nice setup! Looks like you've gotten it dialed in nicely.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:09 PM

That’s great. I hope to some day do the same. Good times!
Old 11-17-2023, 02:31 PM

Hunting camp this fall... Man inlove this thread. Poat thwm pics up.

Elk and moose camp

Bivy on top the mountain this ywar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2023, 07:24 PM

I have 3 wood stove, all titanium 2 from lite outdoors